5.4 dohc truck intake

INJECTEDGT

Established Member
I am thinking of getting a navigator motor to replace my pos blown up sohc 4.6. But I am not sure if my throttle cable and everything will work with the stock truck manifold and throttle body throttle cable linkages. Anyone got any answers?

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
Talk to Birdman941. He specializes in 5.4 swaps as they're are quite a few parts you need to make it a successful conversion.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
Any 4.6 intake manifold will not work because the deck height is increased on the 5.4. Only way to fit a 4.6 manifold is with adapter plates. The 4.6 manifold will choke up a 5.4 a lot even with the adapter

po-po 5.0

Established Member
Well the intake I posted is off of an Aviator which is a dohc motor. And why would the 4.6 intake choke the 5.4?

you're missing something: DOHC intakes only bolt to DOHC heads, and 4.6 intakes only bolt to 4.6s (unless you get adapters). Therefore, you can't use an aviator intake because the aviator has a 4.6. You need a navigator intake.

INJECTEDGT

Established Member
Not if I get the the adapter plates.....The adapter plates allow a cobra(4v 4.6) intake to be mounted to a 5.4 dohc motor. That aviator intake is a 4.6 4v(Basically a cobra intake) intake but with the adapter plates will allow me to use it on the navigator motor. But my question was if I would be able to use my throttle cables with the aviator intake?

po-po 5.0

Established Member
Not if I get the the adapter plates.....The adapter plates allow a cobra(4v 4.6) intake to be mounted to a 5.4 dohc motor. That aviator intake is a 4.6 4v(Basically a cobra intake) intake but with the adapter plates will allow me to use it on the navigator motor. But my question was if I would be able to use my throttle cables with the aviator intake?

If you plan to actually spin the 5.4 to a decent rpm, you'll be chocking off the potential going that route. I think with a little bit of ingenuity you can use your SOHC throttle cables.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
The avaitor intake chokes a 4.6 so do not put it on a 5.4. You can get adapters that will allow you to use a cobra intake.

INJECTEDGT

Established Member
But the whole reason for the aviator intake was b/c I can't find a cobra intake for that price. I think I might leave the truck intake on it and buy a cowl until I can get up the parts for the eaton supercharger swap.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
You'll need a huge cowl to clear a navi intake.

The aviator uses a different T-body, IIRC you can use your throttle cable but may need to shorten it...

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
may need some modifaction. While a Cobra upper and lower may be expensive now it will be cheaper in the long rung since you don't have to buy 2 intakes. Just bite the bullet if your going to get a 4.6 intake. Have it ported as you'll need the maximum amount of airflow to support a 5.4 with a 4.6 intake

INJECTEDGT

Established Member
I wasn't going buy two intakes....well I guess I was...the eaton setup lol. The aviator intake is goin to have to get my by until I can get together the parts for the eaton setup. But I wasn't goin to buy the aviator intake then the cobra intake...that just doesn't make sense. Plus that aviator intake comes with rails, injectors, and throttle body. But does anyone know if the gt throttle body will work on the aviator intake?

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
Looks like the GT throttle body will work just by looking at it but cannot confirm. Also not sure how the Eaton will mount to the 5.4. I dont think that can use intake spacers

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Please do more research before you buy that intake. Either way I still think you are throwing ~$200 down the toilet if you buy that Aviator intake.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Looks like the GT throttle body will work just by looking at it but cannot confirm. Also not sure how the Eaton will mount to the 5.4. I dont think that can use intake spacers

I'm guessing he meant like a Lightning swap or something. But, IIRC, that is a 2v not a 4v so it also won't work.

INJECTEDGT

Established Member
No not a eaton off of a lightning off of a cobra. I think I will stick with the navigator intake and but a cowl for it. I don't know I keep going back and for on this.

Users who are viewing this thread