5.4 eaton

330mach1

Established Member
has anyone thought about making a 03-04 eaton fit on a 5.4l 4v? i was thinking cut it widen it, then fit a 1/2 or 3/4 plate across it to mount the eaton to it. i know it will be make less boost because of the added space but a pulley will fix that. any thoughts or has anyone tried this? i want input and advice anything will be appreciated.

mustangman36578

Established Member
i know there was a guy who did it on another forum. i think it was on modularfords. he had to do a lot of fab work to the intake, front cover, and many other parts. IMO i dont think its really worth it especially with the stock eaton.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
mod fords. I believe Crazydave was his name. He was making kits but he stopped, due to personal reasons. He was willing to share his info at the time.

You can either use two lowers to make one wider lower or weld in a small piece after splitting and then like you said making a plate to recenter the blower.

330mach1

Established Member
why mess with the front cover? i understand the work that needs done to the intake but i thought the piece mounted on top could be used to hold the intercooler? just my thought

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Because the front cover is where the pulley bridge for the s/c mounts. You can't use the Navi front cover IIRC. You need one that will mount the s/c drive system.

330mach1

Established Member
i currently have them. but i want to go fi and wasn't sure if an eaton would be easier or a turbo would. so i'm weighing my options

BlackVenom99

Established Member
I was thinking with intake adapters you wouldn't need to make a custom lower intake. I've seen people speak of welding the proper attachment points onto navi timing covers for the swap also.

That would make it about as simple as your typical eaton swap.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
yup, intake adapters and figuring a way to mount the outer belt drive stuff. shouldn't be too bad overall. welding to that cover might not be too simple though...

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
If you are going 5.4 32V with a blower:
1: Be prepared to spend a lot of money.
A LOT of money.
No dough, don't bother.
2: If you go that route, use FGT heads and Shelby stuff.
Takeoff Shelby blowers are around.

mustangman36578

Established Member
imo going turbo would be a hell of a lot cheaper for you and less headache with great numbers still. also like birdman said go with a different blower than the stock 03/04 cobra eaton. it generates too much heat and isnt quite big enough for the 5.4.

Last edited:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
imo going turbo would be a hell of a lot cheaper for you and less headache with great numbers still. also like birdman said go with a different blower than the stock 03/04 cobra eaton. it generates too much heat and isnt quite big enough for the 5.4.
all PD blowers make a lot of heat :poke:

but i will say the m112 eaton might be just a hair small for the 5.4

Last edited:

330mach1

Established Member
well i'm not looking for astronomical numbers. a stock pullied eaton would do fine. or even a little smaller pulley. i figure it will be a good start and i'll save up for a whipple

Users who are viewing this thread