5.4 Swap 98 gt

JustASixer

Established Member
Ok guys New plan i plan to swap a 5.4 in my 98 gt ive read about the swap but still have 0 idea wht all i need to make it work parts/etc other than the motor and its more of a budget getting the car running build which gen 5.4 is afordable 2v or 3v? any advice greatly appreciated

dragonknight

running a 3v motor will net you problems with your stock ECU because of the cam gears are different.
a 2v motor swap is not hard and still leaves you room around the motor and is a better engine for the mustang, I used stock 4.6l mounts
tuning to the ECU will have to be done obviously because of the displacement difference
a new intake manifold the truck intake's are too tall and is for low rpm use not mid and or high ranges.
long tubes headers are from cook's they were swap headers I tried factory exh manifolds they fit fine but they are not for performance.
you can swap the entire top end off your 4.6l onto the 5.4l except the manifold. factory harness will fit to.
I used new torque converters and the manuals got new clutches. a good performing 3v needs nothing more than good flowing exhaust slightly ported heads and cams that motor can get you going pretty quickly its not an LS motor but its good enough for the 5.4l and when you said budget I took that in mind considering you're not looking for 450hp right?
you can also look up magazine articles for the 5.4l mustang swap there are tons of them in the mag's

Users who are viewing this thread