5 Lug conversion on fox.... quick question

deadly97snake

Established Member
i am doing a 5 lug conversion on my 91 5.0. does anybody seel a kit for the rears that change them to disc brakes. also, any good kits for the front. i dont wanna go to the junkyard and use used parts out of a 94-98 so if anyone can tell me a who makes good kits for the fron and rear i would appreciate it

i found this kit which im leaning towards.... but the problem is the axles are only 28 spline. how much power can those handle. i am putting an 03 cobra drive train in my fox so im gonna have that much power going through them, also, if i put on a kenne bell will they hold?

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/iwwida.pvx?;item?item_no=SS-A1122 1&comp=LRS

spray175

Established Member
you probably want at least 31 spline axles if your putting a kenne bell on there.

I just got new spindles and hubs from pbr for the front. Going to use coilovers with cobra bilstein struts. I hope to have it all on it a few weeks.

SVTORANGE

Established Member
I just converted my 89 coupe to all 04 Cobra parts, ther rear is an IRS and the fronts are spindles from an 04.

Using junkyard parts IMO is the best and cheapest way to go PLUS you should be able to piece it together from this forum and others.

I have the complete 5 lug conversion for the rear from a 96 GT the only thing is it moves the wheels out 3/4 on both sides. I decided after purchasing everything that I much rather have the IRS it was well worth it:burnout:

Good luck with the conversion.

deadly97snake

Established Member
i was originally planning on doing the cobra r brake kit from ford racing. the only thing i wasnt sure of was that it said i might have to cut the fender.

'Some vehicles may require front fenderwell modifications depending on tire size and ride height.

i plan on running 17x9 fr500's or 03-04 cobra rims.

also, it says requires use of 17x8 rim with 5.3/4 backspacing. everything i find is 17x9 with bigger backspacing.

do you know about this kit? would i have to cut my fender?

Last edited:

SVTORANGE

Established Member
Fortunately for you the 91 has the curved bumper meaning it you follow the lines of the fender it is an inch narrower than mine, with the 18x9's in the front it still rubs that part of the bumper a little if I had your style bumperinsert it would work fine(I hope this makes sense :??:)

I have the Baer brake kit on mine with the Roush 18x9 in front and 18x10's in the rear with only the issue above.

17's would allow you to lower the car I am a little leary on lowering mine because the tires would rub in the front.

Last edited:

deadly97snake

Established Member
not at all. are you saying i should be fine or would i need to roll the rear fenders and cut the front fender wells. i car is stock hight as of now and i do plan on lowering it in the near futre. 1- 1.5in max

SVTORANGE

Established Member
The rear has to be rolled if you use the newer 5 lug conversion meaning changing the axles to the newer GT'S. The front should be fine IMO since I am running 18x9's on mine in the front. If you lower the front the 9 inch rims could be an issue and the 8 may require you to install bump stops.

Last edited:

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
My 93 with the Baer kit and coilovers. You can do a 31 spline option - there are differences in the 93 Cobra and non-cobra such as axle width but again that can be customed ordered depending on your ultimate wheel offset (assuming you're switching wheels):

Driver-coil.jpg

PHB3.jpg

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
Brakes & Components

M-2300-K kit is the most complete new kit you can buy. $2,373.00

M-2300-K.jpg

I hear what you're saying but I think it also depends on what you consider complete and the end goal you're trying to accomplish. For me, the 2300K was not the "most complete new kit." Now keep in mind, mine was going on a 93 GT, not a cobra.

Non-Cobra 5-Lug conversion

For me, I wanted to go with the Baer front spindles because of the timken bearings and no question that it did not increase track width. This is something Baer offers which I'm not sure many know about - they convert the fox stock spindles into a very nice 5 lug spindle with better bearings than offered in the SN95 spindle. This also allows you to run a stock ball joint w/o a spacer as per the SN95 spindles - or you can always go with the Steeda ball joint for the SN95 spindle too.

My car is lowered and using the Baer spindles allowed me to run a 18x9 Saleen rim up front. Keep in mind that I run an authentic Saleen rim up front and not a replica (not because I'm a snob) but because the authentic Saleen rim has a 25mm offset whereas the replica has a 12mm offset. The only issue with the Baer's conversion of the stock spindle to a 5-lug is that the dust cap could cause issues with the wheels center cap. For me, I barely drive the car over 200 miles a year so I pulled the dust cap and the wheel fits fine.

Also, the 2300K would have increased the rear track width by about .75" on each side - again I did want to do this for my car since I did not want to have to roll the rear fender lip. Instead I did custom axles (from Baer) keeping stock length with race lugs. This allowed me to keep my rear track width stock and run a 9" wheel without issues.

Lastly, the Baer setup allows you to keep your stock booster by providing a different MC - I believe it is a 3/4" but it has been awhile. The 2300K requires you to change out the booster which can be a lot of work if you don't know the tricks to do it and - from what I am told - ends up with a very hard pedal that most don't appreciate.

For a Cobra conversion to 5-Lug

I have never researched a 5 lug conversion on a cobra but - thinking out loud - it seems that it would be somewhat easier than a non-cobra. The real deciding factor in all of this is what type of wheels you intend to run and their offset. You may be able to just swap out the rear axles and discs for parts from an SN95 but since the original track width was setup for the 93 cobra wheel offset, it will likely pop any aftermarket wheels out by about .75. If you run a 9" wheel then you may run into fender clearance issues.

The front conversion would be pretty much the same as a non-cobra since the track width on the cobras front was done with the rotors and not the spindles. Again, it depends on the type of wheel you intend to run and where you want your track width. Run the 94-95 spindles to get a stock 93 non-cobra track width so you can run 9" wheels w/o issue. Go with the 96+ if you want to widen the front track width but prepare for potential fender clearance issues.

Last edited:

red95gts

Established Member
This also allows you to run a stock ball joint w/o a spacer as per the SN95 spindles - or you can always go with the Steeda ball joint for the SN95 spindle too.

FWIW, you can simply run a standard SN95 balljoint in a Fox A-Arm and eliminate the spacer. However, I believe that makes it impossible to re-install the Fox spindle if you ever wanted to revert. It would require changing back to the Fox ball joint.

The Steeda balljoint inherently lowers the front of the car, which is something to consider.

Also, the 2300K would have increased the rear track width by about .75" on each side

This is the #1 disadvantge to the 2300K kit, IMHO. You get stuck with the SN-95-width axles. Other than that, it's a very complete kit, but I still believe it can be done far cheaper than $2300 with some smart shopping.

For a Cobra conversion to 5-Lug

I have never researched a 5 lug conversion on a cobra but - thinking out loud - it seems that it would be somewhat easier than a non-cobra.

It is - the brake booster, M/C, and prop valve are all acceptable for use with the upgraded brakes, so you don't have to screw with any of that. You've got a couple options for rear brakes with Fox-length axles. You could do SN-95 brakes with the correct aftermarket brackets. Or, a good friend of mine is now producing a bracket that allows us 93 Cobra owners to retain our factory caliper, and use a 11.32" Lincoln Mark VII rotor with the Fox-length axles. The second option is most likely what I'll do with mine.

Just my $.02

SVTORANGE

Established Member
i was looking at this kit, but it only allows you to run 17x8 in rims. i'm looking to run 17x9. is there any way to put 17x9 inch rims on a 91gt with this kit?

this 5 lug conversion is getting me so frustrated im about to x the whole thing

PM sent I have a kit you might be interested in? :coolman:

Quadrajet

Second the issues

My primary purpose in all this is to upgrade the braking. I don't race or at least not technically but I do drive very aggresively and it isn't uncommon for me to hit 140 mph on backroads in certain places known to be cop free in the countryside. My brakes tend to heat up quick and I get too much brake fade and then factor in the rotors warping etc etc etc. However I will need to get some 5 lug rims and since most kits involve converting to 5 lug I'll have to do that as well... If I have to I can convert the car kit or no kit to SN95 on the front and fox length axles in the rear. I am however concerned about the rims I purchase fitting properly. Anyone have any known backspacing/offset demensions known to work with sn95 so I at least have a starting point. I'm also not really keen on spacers either and I want the front and back the same as I do rotate regularally. If anyone knows of any good kits all around I'd appreciate that info as well. Finally settled into my new job and I'm catching up trying to figure on the 2010 gt500 or fixing up my ride.. I think the later would be cheaper lol.

I have a 86 GT (love the bodystyle)
Most kits list 87-93. I know they are different braking systems between 86-87 but the control arms are the same and the shocks mount the same even though I think the dimensions are listed as slightly different or at least through some manufacturers as far as stroke, compressed, uncompressed length which won't really matter as I have caster camber plates and can adjust for that and I have used 87-93 gt shocks on that body style before.

Not paticurally happy about having to change spindles as I spent a lot of time tweaking the car to handle just the way I wanted and this will undoubtedly change that. I might be able to swing borrowing someone's alignment lift now and then again though. I did it on my time last time at the garage I worked for.. but no access to that equipment every day now.

I have half heartedly considered buying one of the upgraded rotor/caliper only options but most of those require 5 lug rims as well and I'm one of those types of people that If I'm going to do it.. I'm going to over do it so I don't have to worry with it anymore :p

suggestions welcome and thanks for the help in advance :)

Last edited:

JimJr

I Like Curves
Established Member
If you haven't been here you need to check it our and know it front-to-back. Also, Baer makes a 4-lug kit so you 'may' not need to change your wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread