6.2L Raptor to debut with 411 HP, 434 TQ

sjdavis

Established Member
Only 3 grand over the 5.4L? Should be able to pick one of those up real cheap real soon! Why even bother with it when the Boss:coolman: can be had for so cheap:shrug:

Bobco

Established Member
I have been doing some research on the new 6.2L.

I work at the Dearborn Truck Plant and have seen the assembled Raptors for over a year now. I may be helpful if anyone has any questions that I might be able to get the answer to.

As for the new 6.2 my brother-in-law works at Romeo Engine Plant in the 6.2 machining area. I have had some long talks about the internals of the 6.2 with him. I personally believe this will be "the motor to have". With the ability to bore the motor out more to fit larger valves. He said the motor "is huge". He said "it as big as the 460 in his truck". He is going to look into piston rod to block clearance for longer stroke.

The info I have now is:
-Cast iron block(fully skirted), 4 bolt mains with 2 additional cross bolts. 4" bore
-All have cast crank shafts as of now 3.70 stroke.
-Oil pump assembly is mounted on the front of the crank.(like the Mod motors)
-Rods are split caps (like the Mod motors)(a weak link with big hp)
-Heads are aluminum. 2 plugs per cylinder, mounted towards the center on either side of the intake valve, injector is in the center, this design is much like the old school Hemi + an over head cam.
- Cam are variable with hydraulic mechanism to adjust degree.

He has talked to the guys in the dyno lab. They have squeeked 700hp out of one with opening up the exhaust and a "balls out" tune (stock cams as far as he knew). I believe this motor will find it's way into the Mustang in the next few years.
He said as of today when he left work they were having block issues. This happens with any launch of a new product. This is why things get delayed to work out the bugs before they release to the public.

Bobco

Jroc

Established Member
^ Hopefully if they do use it in a performance application that they will develop an aluminum block, as I'm sure the cast iron one is rather hefty. Still I think its going to have huge HP potential. Glad they developed some 2v heads that actually flow.

bmxer89

Established Member
I think it should made more power than that. The new 5.0 is suppost to make 400

Bobco

Established Member
I am just repeating what I was told. From what I understand the 700hp was with the stock cams and as cast cylinder heads. The factory leaves alot on the table when it comes to performance tune as everyone knows that a custom tuned chip will get you alot. As far as the exhaust goes I'd imagine that was without cats. With ideal air/fuel ratios not taking into account any emission issues.
I am curious what Roush, or any of the other vendors that were given preproduction motors to play with did as far as longer stroke and how far they could bore the 6.2 safely (how thick the cylinder walls are)?
Hopefully I can get a peak at some of the 6.2 stuff over the weekend. I know where some are locally. Preproduction stuff and some prototype stuff that may have been scrapped during R+D. Should be interesting. Doubt if I can take any pics but I will relay what I can. They said they can't get rid of any thing til after it is available to the public.
I am also curious if the bell housings are the same as the 5.4/4.6 since I have a 03 mustang GT and a 99 Lightning.

Bobco

qachargh

Established Member
It may just be me but 430 Lb-ft seems a little on the low side. I was hoping for something around 475, especially if they plan on using the same motor in the Super-Duty.

Sir Nate 3000

Silver Stallion
Established Member
very promising.... I see a 429 stroker or maybe a BOSS 429 in the horizon. when will these 6.2L engines or blocks be in the Ford catalog?

Users who are viewing this thread