6 pot brembo vs 4 pot

stags

Established Member
Thinking my next mod should be brakes. Is there any compelling reason for 6 pots over 4? Or any other kit vs the frpp upgrade? I am trying to figure out if the juice is worth the squeeze.

Saw the thread awhile back that 4 pots grip as well as 6 pots but 6 will wear slower. My impression was that would be unnecessary for anything other than long distance endurance races. The most tortuous thing my car will see is spirited mountain driving and light autox/ hpde duty

kdaly

Established Member
Your stock braking system will work fine if you dont want to spend the money. If you change the fluid and pads and if you want to get steel lines. But there is no need to change the brakes for the duty you are going to put them through. If you like the look that is something completely different. Then upgrade to what you want to spend and how much badassery you want to see.

noldevin

Established Member
I can highly recommend upgrading to the 4pots, especially if you are going to be doing some HPDE. They do offer more than just heat resistance, they stop significantly better than the stock brakes.

In my opinion, when comparing 4pot to 6pot, the 6pots are more for bling factor than performance. They add a lot of extra weight and don't really stop much harder. They will have slightly more heat resistance, but good fluid and pads on 4pots should do you fine. There is a thread floating around somewhere about how to get the 4pot brembos really cheap as a rebuild or something like that.

You will absolutely want different pads for HPDE, street/autox pads will fade if you start pushing your car for an extended session. If you go with carbotech pads you can swap between street and track compounds without changing rotors.

Last edited:

Lemonth

Established Member
I can highly recommend upgrading to the 4pots, especially if you are going to be doing some HPDE. They do offer more than just heat resistance, they stop significantly better than the stock brakes.

In my opinion, when comparing 4pot to 6pot, the 6pots are more for bling factor than performance. They add a lot of extra weight and don't really stop much harder. They will have slightly more heat resistance, but good fluid and pads on 4pots should do you fine. There is a thread floating around somewhere about how to get the 4pot brembos really cheap as a rebuild or something like that.

You will absolutely want different pads for HPDE, street/autox pads will fade if you start pushing your car for an extended session. If you go with carbotech pads you can swap between street and track compounds without changing rotors.

Here is that thread:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1071234-So-you-want-Brembo-brakes

I personally went with 4 piston. The 6's look nicer but it's a much higher cost along with the maintence along with it. I picked up a good set used for a good price too. Can't speak for the performance between the two but from the stock to 4 pistons was a nice improvement.

Eric L

Established Member
I just got the 2015 4 piston calipers for $100 each new. I needed to do something about my brakes after driving my ole lady's 2015 and realized how bad mine were. You can do the 6 piston brembos but i could only find them for 380 new. so i stuck with the 4 pistons. better than 2000 for the wilwoods or brembos

my95z28

Established Member
Here is that thread:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1071234-So-you-want-Brembo-brakes

I personally went with 4 piston. The 6's look nicer but it's a much higher cost along with the maintence along with it. I picked up a good set used for a good price too. Can't speak for the performance between the two but from the stock to 4 pistons was a nice improvement.

This is absolutely true. I have the 6 pot Brembos off of a wrecked GT500. 11'-14' 6 pot cars only fit a 2 model year rotor, since the 13'-14' GT500 15" rotor is the only one that fits. This leads to very high pricing now and down the road for rotors. On top of this it's difficult to find pads for this combination, HAWK just started offering some but they miss 1/2" near the hub which immediately leads to a rust ring. Now my eye candy brakes are ruined till I solve this. They do look good though.
P.S. I know, I hadn't finished peeling the sticker off the Brembo yet

Snapchat--3299597117740834111.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread