$600 wheel vs. $200 wheel...

ZXnVS

Established Member
Saturday night I broke the left rear wheel on the Cobra. I didn't see anything on the road (before or after), but I heard this horrible metallic "crunch" and the tire blew out. There's a small crack on the inside rim of the wheel, and the sidewall of the tire is torn.

Anyway, I hopped on fordracingparts.com and they show the 2003 SVT wheel MSRP as $195, which seemed amazingly cheap for a factory part. I was relieved that I wouldn't have to drop $500 just to replace the wheel, and another ~$200 for a tire.

So this morning I called the local Ford dealer and told them I need to order a new wheel, and the guy looks it up on his computer and says, "Whoa, that's a $600 wheel." I said, "That's funny, it says $195 on fordracingparts.com." He looked it up and confirmed (in seeming disbelief) that his Ford Racing catalog showed $195 as well.

I searched the forums, but got so many pages of results I couldn't search through them all, but has anyone else run into this? What do you think, does Ford really list this wheel at $600 in their "regular" parts catalog and $195 in the racing catalog, or is the dealer running a scam here?

notdisturbed

I got nothin...
Established Member
I bought a replacement wheel just recently from Diversified Products Marketing for around $150. Its a genuine ford wheel, comes in the ford racing products box, even the inside of the wheel is stamped with the ford casting. I dont know where dealers get their prices from.

i8u

Established Member
It is not uncommen for dealorships to mark up parts 300% or so. That is why you shop around.

Users who are viewing this thread