640 TQ looking to spray 125 dry. should I ARP stud the heads ?

yzingerslinger

Established Member
Hello, and thanks for looking.

I would like some opinions about my setup. When I bought this car the motor was rebuilt and has ARP equipment everywhere BUT the head studs, I have a NX dry kit ready to rock and roll I am very concerned that spraying a 125 on top of the current setup may cause disaster.

Currently the car is making 600/640 with the Eaton, I have heard mixed answers about the strength of the TTY studs under high boost and spray. Currently at 17#

Should I run it as is ?

Should I drop the motor and ARP the heads ?

CAN I pull one TTY at a time and install each ARP according the torque sequence ?

I appreciate everyone chiming in and for the advice. My mods are in the signature.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I'd personally drop the motor and put in ARP 2000 head studs.. I'm shocked you didn't do that to begine with, when the motor was built. Unless you bought it that way.. Then the previous owner should have.

yzingerslinger

Established Member
I'd personally drop the motor and put in ARP 2000 head studs.. I'm shocked you didn't do that to begine with, when the motor was built. Unless you bought it that way.. Then the previous owner should have.

I bought the car as is, the previous owner tossed in a new set of TTYs when he built the motor. Any idea if I can undo one at a time and just replace them according to the sequence ?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I don't have the answer to that sadly. I wouldnt' risk the motor though.. I'd do it right and drop the engine.. throw in the studs and new head gaskets and let it eat

BMR Tech

Although it is not recommended, you CAN add ARP Headstuds like you mentioned.

Proof is Senkak, here on the forums. He called me, we discussed, and he did it. Car is running great. Now, he is rocking like 23~psi.

I will add, I ran 20psi on a 115K mile stock motor, on E85, with a 50 shot - worked flawlessly. 750+ftlbs.

I also used the 75shot a few times. I stopped because it was a little too scary, for me. I would say it was making 800ftlbs.

If you have any questions about replacing the TTY bolts with the ARP stuff, in the car....I would shoot "Senkak" a PM.

As for your current situation, I would just run it. I have a friend locally, who likely has more nitrous through a stock motor than anyone. His username here is "mofobucs" - he has been spraying his car since late 2004....and has hit it with 200+ shot for years. His motor finally "bit the dust" a while back, and it was from loading the car up with fuel and no nitrous, due to an issue with the nitrous controller......

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
BMR Tech: the only thing that concerns me is the compression ratio he's running.. 10.7 with 17psi and then a 150shot.. There isnt' a lot of volum in the cylinders like in a 8.5 motor

yzingerslinger

Established Member
The shortblock has 7000 miles on it right now. no issues so far. If a 125 is to much maybe a 75 or 100 would be a safer bet. I didnt think about cylinder volume 98 Saleen, good point.

I just want a safe setup that will make over 800 TQ from and Eaton.

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
subscribing to this...im thinking about going the same route...my tuner's install guy lifted the heads on his stock block with an Eaton and a two stage nitrous setup(150 then 50)....it made over 700 torque on the mustang dyno but the 8,000 mile engine was doneski.

yzingerslinger

Established Member

Proof is Senkak, here on the forums. He called me, we discussed, and he did it. Car is running great. Now, he is rocking like 23~psi.

I will add, I ran 20psi on a 115K mile stock motor, on E85, with a 50 shot - worked flawlessly. 750+ftlbs.

I also used the 75shot a few times. I stopped because it was a little too scary, for me. I would say it was making 800ftlbs.

If you have any questions about replacing the TTY bolts with the ARP stuff, in the car....I would shoot "Senkak" a PM.

As for your current situation, I would just run it. I have a friend locally, who likely has more nitrous through a stock motor than anyone. His username here is "mofobucs" - he has been spraying his car since late 2004....and has hit it with 200+ shot for years. His motor finally "bit the dust" a while back, and it was from loading the car up with fuel and no nitrous, due to an issue with the nitrous controller......

Thanks BMR Tech, I will look them up and ask them some questions as well.

svt4me38

BOWENZMOTORSPORTS.COM
Established Member
What was the damage ?

I was lucky and did not hurt anything, when they let go water immediately came out my resivor cap and I shut the car down. Compression was fine. Pulled the motor, had heads slightly milled and installed custom grind bullet cams. Runs like an animal now!

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member

Just a small correction. I am still at 21.5 lbs 3.0/4lb lower.
I did do head studs since I found a bit of milky white goo in the VC breathers.
It cleared up as soon as the weather warmed up. Most likely condenation.
Otherwise all internals are stock.
If I ever go for a rebuild I can reuse the head studs. To me they are worth the piece of mind.
Recently I replaced the side bolts with ARP 2000 because I broke one.
My motor has ~35,000 mile on it.

Last edited:

BMR Tech

My bad Rick!

I thought a little higher my friend.

Clearly, all your hard work pays off. Beast Vert!

Now, stop breaking side bolts. lol

Users who are viewing this thread