• Keep 2003 Cobra

Votes: 33 76.7%
  • Buy 69 Mustang

Votes: 10 23.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

01yellercobra

Established Member
I have a 2003 Cobra, and also a 1970 Fastback. you all are hung up on the performance part. My Cobra is faster than the old one. But nothing money cannot take care of.

yes the cobra handles better, has more creature comforts. but a lot of the fun of driving a classic is just that. its different, looks great and if all your cars handle the same and have the same power, where is the fun in that. if you can keep the cobra, and save up.

then buy something that needs a little more work, and is just a base fastback you can mess with, and make a replica Boss 320 Trans Am car.

The looks is a big factor too. Friend of mine has a 67 GTO that's his cruiser and a Charger SRT8 for when he wants to mess around. If laruei sells the Cobra he's going to want performance to make up for not having the Cobra. If I was able to keep the Cobra that would be my first choice. But when you have one toy you want it to do everything.

Last edited:

The_Dude

Established Member
I have both. The '69 mostly sits in the garage. I drive the Cobra. That said, if the '69 you posted is a factory S-code (390) that price is too good to be true. You should snap it up immediately. It should be worth at least twice that.

laruei

Established Member
Yea I havent called the guy yet.. didnt want to be a tire kicker but I assume all things "too good to be true" usually are.. :(

and @slo984now.. you're very likely right.. one toy should be able to do as many things as i can afford it to do in my eyes.. which usually means spending a ton to make it multifaceted... however I think a 450hp 69 mustang would be more then sufficient for me.

cj428mach

Established Member
I think to build a nice restomod 69 fastback with 450 hp, overdrive, ac, modern suspension, etc you'll be north of 40k maybe 50k. If you get a car that needs body work and paint you can easily dump 10k in that alone.

If you're going to do it I suggest spending some serious money and buy a car thats complete or mostly complete. People tend to buy cheap project cars cause they're cheap but by the time they do everything to get them right they spent 2 times as much as just buying a nice mostly complete/finished car.

Also if you buy a plain 69 fastback or a base Mach 1 (H or M code) the car probably won't ever be worth very much no matter how much you put into it. If you buy a rare car (big block or boss) then you probably won't want to mod it as that hurts the value. I only mention this because you said the 69 will be worth more.

As I continuely post on here 03-04 Cobra production numbers are almost dead on 68.5-70 Cobra Jet cars, in my opinion the 03 will me more of a collector car than a fastback or base 69 Mach.

DeadStang

Established Member
Comparing a Terminator to a '69 Mustang is apples to oranges--they are a totally different experience and there is a time/road/place for each. And an FE Mustang is not the same as a 351W car--very different animals as well. I have a hard time advising you as I have both, but I think if I had to sell all of my cars and pick one to keep when I end up in a van down by the river, I'd keep a '69. But as someone before me noted, spend as much money as you can on a finished car. It's not uncommon, if you've restored a '69 Mustang, to end up selling for 50-cents on the dollars you've spent (please don't ask me how I know this :fm:!).

prs97

Established Member
All good points here but my vote would be to have both if at all possible.

You've got a lot of dough in the Cobra and could still drive it while a fastback is under the knife. Once the vintage iron is up and running, you can choose which to drive and then make a decision.

Good luck.

kgbpackfan

Mustang Obsession
Established Member
Almost 3 years ago I got a 69 mach 1 for 4 grand. It needed new doors, fenders, hood, trunk, q panel and some floor section because of rust. I put in new suspention in the front fox body type and I purchase a 2003 roush 380r engine and tranny combo. I have most of that done, I need new glass and a paint job. I got last october a 2004 mystichrome terminator vert with 25g miles. I have not drove the mach 1 yet because I need another 10 grand to finish ( I already put 20 grand into it). When it is complete I will love it. Just like I love the cobra. Can't go wrong with both

luiSVT99

CoyoteFTW
Established Member
I'm in this sort of debate but want a 93-97 Supra; it almost took me 10 years to get my Terminator and I'm loving each day of it, I don't see myself selling it and it has way less mods than yours, but i really really want a Supra so the best thing to do is to start saving to keep my Cobra then someday buy the MKIV

Mustang289

Established Member
First off your Terminator looks awesome.

When I was deciding on my toy, I decided on an 04 Terminator. Even though I love first generation Mustangs, had two 66 fast backs, it came down to new technology and what you can do with it. The Terminators have the Muscle Car feel to them IMO, but you can always roll-up the windows and cruise cross the country if you want.

If you're looking mostly for a car to take to car shows and cruise ins, the 69 might be the best way to go, but if you also like to go on spirited drives, your Terminator would be the best bet.

Remember, grass always looks greener on the other side.

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
My dad and I restored a 69 mach when I was in high school, he still has it. At that time I had a mostly stock 87 GT that ran 12's, and even that car was better in every way but looks.
Someday I will get the mach, and to be happy with the performance and comfort, it will need way more money that my cobra is worth. Defiantly looking forward to building the 69 just not paying for it!
Today the only car I could/would trade my 04 for is a newer GT500

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Interesting thread that's for sure. I agree with others and trying to save money and have both. I have a very long term goal, and first I need a 3 stall garage to house the cars I want. My cobra isn't going anywhere to justify buying a different car. I'd one day like to have an older ford muscle car of some sort, maybe another foxbody, and keep the terminator.

I'm hoping within 3-5 years I can get the garage I want.

cj428mach

Established Member
At one time I thought the 69 was the best looking mustang ever now I give the edge to the Terminator in the looks department too. Here are a few older pics from when mine were together, the 69 is usually in storage because I'd much rather drive the cobra or my 37. The pictures comparing the rears really makes the Mach seem dated.

10z8p3r.jpg

qxo1s6.jpg

219s7lj.jpg

Last edited:

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
At one time I thought the 69 was the best looking mustang ever now I give the edge to the Terminator in the looks department too. Here are a few older pics from when mine were together, the 69 is usually in storage because I'd much rather drive the cobra or my 37. The pictures comparing the rears really makes the Mach seem dated.

10z8p3r.jpg

qxo1s6.jpg

219s7lj.jpg

Nice man both clean love the white. How long have you owned your 69?

mfrazier2

Engineers lead the way!
Established Member
That car is beautiful man, i would definitely keep your terminator. That's what i want mine to look like a few years from now.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I voted keep the terminator. old muscle cars do look great and are a fun idea, but in the real world to drive one reliably you would need some serious upgrades. for example, I would never want to go back to a carbureted car again...

as far as California, I hear you because I get hassled even with my upper-only eaton car. I would say just try to de-mod it if you can enough that you can drive it without too much worry. it does suck but that is the way it is where we live.

but if you do decide to get an old musclecar, cj428mach1 gave good advice... try to get one that has already been restored/completed.

best of luck with it!

Users who are viewing this thread