6r80 difference

SC2011GT

Til' The Wheels Fall Off
Established Member
quantity of clutch plates and the shifter cable bracket mounting is different.

auto02

Motivator
Established Member
quantity of clutch plates and the shifter cable bracket mounting is different.

Just curious but where did you find the info on the clutch plates? A lot of people use to say the same about 4r70w's but I built one out of a 03 v6 Mustang to go into my 94 f150 and it had the same number of plates as the v8 version 4r70w.

spdracr0

Established Member
I guess the question is what is involved in changing them out. Is the mustang shifter bolt holes there??

SC2011GT

Til' The Wheels Fall Off
Established Member
The bolt holes are not in the same configuration. The truck cable runs almost straight down in reference to the transmission, while the car cable loops down to run horizontally in relation to the transmission.

SC2011GT

Til' The Wheels Fall Off
Established Member
Just curious but where did you find the info on the clutch plates? A lot of people use to say the same about 4r70w's but I built one out of a 03 v6 Mustang to go into my 94 f150 and it had the same number of plates as the v8 version 4r70w.

I've seen conflicting information on it all. The clutch basket itself is the same transmission to transmission, so if you were to put the quantity of plates called for in a V8 Mustang into it you would essentially have a V8 Mustang transmission regardless of trans origin.

SC2011GT

Til' The Wheels Fall Off
Established Member
I guess the question is what is involved in changing them out.

I've not used a truck transmission in a car, so I can't say for sure. I've heard they may be some sort of valve body or solenoid differences model to model and/or year to year but I don't know that for a fact.

The shift cable bracket mounting is different, too.

Other than that, it should all bolt up no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread