6spd auto smg tranny in 06 Corvette

Skywarp

Established Member
Friend was building a car last night on the computer and noticed that this tranny was available. Unbelievable, what about the GT500?

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I thinks it's a regular slush box with paddles on the wheel. Kinda like the pontiac versions. If it was a real SMG, it would probably cost an extra 5-10k.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
bluetooth said:
this is a stuped question but what is a smg? Thanks.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I believe it means "sequential manual gearbox" Basically a computer along with hydraulics changes gears and matches throttle position with speed for each gear when upshifting/downshifting. Takes out all the error when compared to a regular manual and is far more advanced than a traditional auto.

Someone with real knowledge should chime in.

AbusiveWombat

Established Member
Think of an SMG as a true manual transmission without the clutch. Where a good driver will take ~0.4 seconds to shift gears, the SMG can accomplish the same task ~0.1 seconds with perfect rev matching.

bluetooth

Established Member
thanks. I can see were that would be expensive. I wonder if a continously varible trans would do well in a sports car?

drhyed

Established Member
smg's have clutch's!!! they are just controld by computers and hydraulics not your foot. The newer types (as in the bmw M5) were built to only be smg's as the older types (M3) were just adapted from a regular manual gear box with control units attached. With these types of trannys they can do some very cool launch programs and a bunch of other neat stuff. I never really understood why these seem unpopular with the american press (auto week car&driver ect) I think as the playstation generation gets older you will see more and more of them. I know if I was looking at 2 similar cars (say and evo and wrx sti) and could get one with a smg type transmisson and not the other that would be a huge consideration.

Vizior

Established Member
I have to admit that I have never driven a car with SMG, but I'd guess that it loses some of the appeal of a traditional stick-shift. In a normal manual quick shifts require practice, timing, and reflexs.

At least the GT500 isn't going to be SMG(not that I'll be able to afford it, of course).

AbusiveWombat

Established Member
drhyed said:
smg's have clutch's!!! they are just controld by computers and hydraulics not your foot. The newer types (as in the bmw M5) were built to only be smg's as the older types (M3) were just adapted from a regular manual gear box with control units attached. With these types of trannys they can do some very cool launch programs and a bunch of other neat stuff. I never really understood why these seem unpopular with the american press (auto week car&driver ect) I think as the playstation generation gets older you will see more and more of them. I know if I was looking at 2 similar cars (say and evo and wrx sti) and could get one with a smg type transmisson and not the other that would be a huge consideration.

I think they're unpopular because the technology is still very new. My borther told me of the Ferarri 360 he drove that had an SMG. He said it was great except when you need to inch forward. An SMG (at least the 360's) doesn't inch forward...it revs the engine up and fires you off the line like you would want from a stop light. Well my brother, driving his drunk, rich uncle home, stopped short of the gated entry key code. The entry didn't just have a gate but also an iron wall to keep people from running through the gates. So he needed to move the car 2 feet forward but move it 8 and the car hits an iron wall. A little nerve racking when driving a $150k car. I think it's the little things like this that are really hold SMGs back. As the technology matures I think the popularity will grow. You can't beat lightning quick gear changes, perfect rev matching, and perfect launch control.

Skywarp

Established Member
Vizior said:
I have to admit that I have never driven a car with SMG, but I'd guess that it loses some of the appeal of a traditional stick-shift. In a normal manual quick shifts require practice, timing, and reflexs.

At least the GT500 isn't going to be SMG(not that I'll be able to afford it, of course).
Actually went to Ramp chevy here on Long Island yesterday. Saw the new ZO6, all I have to say is everybody who entertains the fact of running this car had better have a twin screw blower and weight reduction. :uh oh: The car has tires the size of most peoples coffee tables.
Also got more info about the paddle shifter car. According from what I was told this car will be faster than the 6 speed car due to electronics and such.

Skywarp

Established Member
Terminator said:
Skywarp, The 6 spd auto is available in the Z?
You'll be able to get the 6 speed auto in the 2.56 rear car without the Z51 package. And you'll be able to get the 6 speed in a Z51 3.15 gear car also. Even though the salesman said this, it doesn't look that way on Chevys site. This will not be available on the Z06 however Mercedes and BMW offer their AMGS and M3s with autos as options or no manual at all. I can see the ZO6 at one point with this tranny. Thats why I started this thread to see if anybody knew of the GT500 and what it would be coming with. At this point you would think the new car would be with the times. At the least give people the option :shrug:

Last edited:

overseacobra

Established Member
I have driven the Ferrari 360, the BMW M3 and my moms Citroen C3 (a small european s++tbox) on race tracks and roads, and the BMW SMG was the best "all round", but nothing beat Ferraris F1 gearbox on the race track, the sound when it blips the throttle at downshift is f-ing beautiful!!

There are alot of cars here in europe now with so called SMG boxes, but most of them are crap. Slow shifts, takes like 3 sec between gears, and poor electronics, gets stuck in gears etc. And there a bitch to drive in the winter, nudge the throttle a bit...nothing happens...nudge it a bit more and it all comes at once!

So if the if the GT500 comes with an SMG and it is acually quite good, i would definetely recommend it if you plan to go to the race track, but if your staying "street", forget it! It gets boring after a while!

Jpjr

Established Member
bluetooth said:
thanks. I can see were that would be expensive. I wonder if a continously varible trans would do well in a sports car?

A properly built CVT would perform better than an SMG, simply because its the automatic version.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Skywarp said:
You'll be able to get the 6 speed auto in the 2.56 rear car without the Z51 package. And you'll be able to get the 6 speed in a Z51 3.15 gear car also. Even though the salesman said this, it doesn't look that way on Chevys site. This will not be available on the Z06 however Mercedes and BMW offer their AMGS and M3s with autos as options or no manual at all. I can see the ZO6 at one point with this tranny. Thats why I started this thread to see if anybody knew of the GT500 and what it would be coming with. At this point you would think the new car would be with the times. At the least give people the option :shrug:

it is definitely available with the Z51 as a friend just got one (ordered it that way)

Users who are viewing this thread