79 Mustang Indy 500 Pace car go-kart

03SVTF

@10psi
Established Member
79pace.jpg

"From what i'm told"...They built 2000 examples in 1979 after the original Pace car was made and they sold for $695. Thats about all I know about it.

This one was bought new by my grandma for my dad and his brother. It has about 10 years of dust from the last time it was moved or ran. I just found it again kinda and am gonna try to clean up the body in the coming weeks. The go kart was ran without the body for some years and has its fair share of abuse and backyard welding repairs. The body is in much better shape than the kart underneath as they were not usually paired. I expect it to run with a good carb cleaning and fresh fluids but we'll see.

I'm wondering if anybody else has one of these or knows anything about them as it is older than me and I'm just trying to do some research, and show you this sweet old go-kart

Red10thcv

Established Member
Great Ride to Restore.

Hum! What class could that be in at the next class show.
Special Interest -- Non Restored?
Looks like a GREAT project.

03SVTF

@10psi
Established Member
It's not gonna be ridable for me, although I have driven it many years ago. The kart is 1/4 scale btw.

I have a friend with a mint (full size) 79 Pace car 5.0 and we're going to put them next to each other and send it in to our local paper for the Sunday auto section. The dealer that sold the go-kart and his pace car new in 79 are the same and they said they might use it for an ad or something if it comes out so that could be something to look forward to.

Last edited:

03SVTF

@10psi
Established Member
You should mod it.:banana:

Its got a dopey little Briggs in there now, she would be fun with some more juice, but who'd be small enough to enjoy it, 10 year old adrenaline junkies everywhere I guess.

NELSON

Established Member
I have one that is currently in the process of being redone. The body I found was in rough shape. It have been fixed and gel coated. I am just waiting on the time to paint it and have decals made. The plan is to get the body finished and get it on a frame. I thought about putting the Briggs on it and making it authentic, but I am planning to use the drive out of an electric golf car and eventually make it RC. It will show nicely next to the 79 Pace Car.

jiggs86

79 pace car go cart

I recently bougt 2 of these pace car bodies off of ebay, I know just as much as you do, but neither one of mine came with the actual go cart. So I am having a hard time finding one that will work. One of the bodies is in OK shape but it could use some work. My other is pretty rough so I am doing it first because it is going to need more attention. Please let me know if you have any leads on any go cart that will work with mine. I have been trying for a while to find someone else that has one of these. Yours seems to be in decent shape and you got lucky and still have the cart. One of mine has a tag on the inside of the front of the body that says it was made by the f.w. company in AZ. Other than that you know just as much as me.

phil'snotch

Established Member
does it have a 3hp bridges and stratton? i have the same go kart, but with indy car body

i'll stop by my parents and take pics,

Phitheesvt

Hello, I just picked one of these up to go with my 79 pace car, pretty rough though. I need to get some help on the frame. It has a 5 hp briggs n stratton but do not think it is original as the frame is not. Does anyone have any pics of the go cart frame and motor? I would like to restore it to go with my pace car. Also, looking for the original go cart frame if anyone wants to sell. Also what are these things worth?

Users who are viewing this thread