8.8/7.5 Question

sdfrog177

Established Member
I have a rearend out of a 1985 SVO, it is a 7.5 with the 5 lug. I also have a 8.8 out of a 90 GT with the 4 lug. My question is does anyone know if the axels from the SVO rear will fit in the GT 8.8 or are they going to be to short.
Thanks for any info,

herbie911

SIT DOWN SHUT UP AND HOLD
Established Member
it all should swap over , the 85 axels will stick out a hair more . fot the disc brakes, use the 85 parts axle, brakes , brakets . which way are you going 4 lug, 5lug?

sdfrog177

Established Member
Im going 5 lug. In the process of restoring my 85 GT I purchased a rear from a 85 SVO thinking they had the 8.8 rear. I was wrong so I went ahead and installed it anyways and have been looking for a 8.8 for some time. I just purchased one and was wondering if the 5 lug SVO axles in the 7.5 will work in the 8.8 I just aquired. I have had a few people tell me they will work but it seems weird since the 7.5 has such a smaller rear diff. I have pretty much doubled the stock HP in the car so I know the 7.5 wont be up to the future drag strip visits. BTW the 5 lug conversion I used for the front is out of a 2000 GT, went in nice.

herbie911

SIT DOWN SHUT UP AND HOLD
Established Member
this is what i would do , swap over the svo brakes, install a 31 spline diff, get 31 splines shafts for svo rear end and install that diff in your 8.8 housing , cool??

Users who are viewing this thread