8.8 rear preload hep

00stang37

Established Member
Hey guys, I recently put an aluminum driveshaft in my 2000 GT and while it was off I noticed the pinion seal was leaking on the diff so I replaced it. I did some research and followed the method of marking the the pinion but/shaft/flange and removing the nut while counting the rotations. Sure enough tin the middle of removing the nut I got interrupted and lost track of what number I was on. When installing the nut back on I ended up tightening in down one extra turn and the back lash was pretty tight so I backed it off on turn. A quick test drive and I have some pretty loud gear whine on deceleration. A slow roll wasn't bad but around 40-45mph in 3rd gear it was pretty loud so I threw it into neutral for the stop and limped it home shifting really low in the rpms. I didn't. Price and whine on acceleration.

Does it seem like something I can fix by adjusting the pinion nut a little bit or did that extre turn crush the crush sleeve too much? I called the local differential shop and they said the bearing may be smoked and I'm looking at $800 to fix it and they can't get the car in for 2 weeks

Thanks for any info

Sluggie24

Established Member
If you tightened the pinion nut more than it was before then you crushed the crush washer more and it will need to be replaced.

When I do pinion seals at work I just remove and install pinion nuts with a 1/2" impact gun. The gun doesn't have the power to crush the washer more than it already is. Done hundreds over the years, never had an issue.

00stang37

Established Member
Had the car taken to a shop and apparently the bearing was toast and they don't replace only one bearing so all the bearings needed to be swapped. One thing lead to another during the repair and the wheel bearing/axles needed to be replaced. Fast forward and a $700-$800 job turned into a $1300 job. Now I have essentially a new rear end aside for the gears which were fine. I asked how much to change the gears since everything was out and it would've been $430 for the gears and a couple hours of labor. Not sure if the pricing is about right but I'm having the pets saved to double check things. I never had an issue with the rear until I changed the seal and took in for a little test drive around the block. I can see the bearing but I'm not sold on the bad axles.

Sluggie24

Established Member
$1300 sounds very high to me. The chance that you actually needed axles is slim, though possible. If the bearings had cut into the axles you would have been hearing a bad bearing drone noise for a long time. (Months at least)

$700-800 sounds high for just replacing all the bearings/seals in the rear. That's a 4 hr job tops and maybe $130 in parts/materials.(I think install kits are even available online with all the parts needed for less than $100)

After having done dozens of rears on different vehicles my professional opinion is that you were ripped off. For $1300 you could have upgraded to 31 spline axles and carrier with all new bearings and seals at an honest shop. Doing a rear isn't all that hard/time consuming. You just need to know what you're doing and have the tools.

Stang_456

Established Member

00stang37

Established Member
The way things worked out I was stuck either paying a few hundred for labor to put the car back together or continue the job after the car needed more parts replaced after the initial $700-$800 quote. One of those things where paying a few hundred to take the car to another shop seemed like more work than it was worth. The gear quote was the plain indicator that they milk what they can. $700 when the gears are $150-$200 and they're already replacing most of the parts anyway. Pretty aggravated at the situation but looks like I know what shop to never use in future

Users who are viewing this thread