# 8 and clutch issues, Put this to rest for me

Jonnyslick

Established Member
I have not been to active lately just because of the fact that the clutch issues were getting me kinda of ancy and i wanted to see how things panned out and if ford or a member here would just resolve the issue.

Plus i cant drive an auto on the highway because it literally bores me to sleep.

So it seems like thats not even the new "hype" if you will ,and its the number 8 cylinder exploding now.

Now i just wanted to get some things cleared up.

How many people have had their #8 pistons explode to date?

What kind of gas was you using ?

Does this seem to be something that will inevitably happen to all cayote motors stock or not?

Does It seem like their will be a tuning solution in the future?

I understand their are other threads based on this but they seem to be derailed by other topics 2 pages in.

Thankyou.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Observable evidence points to only tuned cars having this issue. Although there's been small rumors about stock cars, nothing solid has been seen on end.

I think at this point it would be prudent to wait a bit on the tuning, or go with Bama and their warranty if you desire the safety net.

But your own post answers it's own question. It's all hype. It's the same thing that is seen in every brand new car. Remember the problems with the Terminators and tuning at the beginning? Remember how people complained about that transmission, the pop and creak from the rear-end, head tick etc.

The transmissions aren't grenading, they're just not smooth for a lot of people. The aftermarket is in process of addressing that. Just as the aftermarket will address these tune issues as well.

The car is a solid piece of engineering. It's not going to let you down. If you do get a car that does have an issue from the factory, the warranty will cover it. Same with any other car on the road that is mass produced.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
Observable evidence points to only tuned cars having this issue. Although there's been small rumors about stock cars, nothing solid has been seen on end.

I think at this point it would be prudent to wait a bit on the tuning, or go with Bama and their warranty if you desire the safety net.

But your own post answers it's own question. It's all hype. It's the same thing that is seen in every brand new car. Remember the problems with the Terminators and tuning at the beginning? Remember how people complained about that transmission, the pop and creak from the rear-end, head tick etc.

The transmissions aren't grenading, they're just not smooth for a lot of people. The aftermarket is in process of addressing that. Just as the aftermarket will address these tune issues as well.

The car is a solid piece of engineering. It's not going to let you down. If you do get a car that does have an issue from the factory, the warranty will cover it. Same with any other car on the road that is mass produced.

i just drove mine 650+ miles to mustangweek one way. car ran awesome. no problems in 100 degree weather.

Best part is merging on the highway. i just have a steeda short throw and axle backs. car is amazing. esp on long trips with the sync and sirus

Last edited:

Jonnyslick

Established Member

Hopefully iam right and it is all hype. On the other hand its one hansom looking ride and its one of my top 3 cars of choice at the time.

i just drove mine 650+ miles to mustangweek one way. car ran awesome. no problems in 100 degree weather.

Best part is merging on the highway. i just have a steeda short throw and axle backs. car is amazing. esp on long trips with the sync and sirus

I might just do what your doing and throw some exhaust on it and a SS kit. Seems to be the best safety net at the time.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Hopefully iam right and it is all hype. On the other hand its one hansom looking ride and its one of my top 3 cars of choice at the time.

At least in stock trim you're not going to have any problems. My sig isn't an accident, photoshop or anything like that. I've had my car on the drag strip and lapping in near 100 degree temps. It hasn't skipped a beat.

It still makes some weird noises that Ford assured me was normal and no detrimental to the car. So far, they've been right.

I'm still waiting how tuning issues pan out before modding, but I'm enjoying the car thoroughly.

DIB5.0

Established Member
The problem is this #8 seems to be a myth. Really no proof. You have these guys come on here start all this panic and disappear yet show no proof. Someone has to have some pictures or a work order or something if they are going to go through all the trouble posting on all these forums. You tell me none of these guys want to prove the nay sayers wrong? Something is just not right. Just get a nice safe tune from a company who has a car to develop it on and creates a nice safe tune such as Amazon or VMP.

Last edited:

jas11151990

Established Member
In all honesty it is tuning but mostly the ghost cam tune. The bosses have the internals, we do not, ford asked tuners to stop for a reason and there is also a reason why it was never perfected. Boss is built for it and has it and we simply do not. What i have gathered from talking to a few tuners. :shrug:

DIB5.0

Established Member
Can not because some of the proclaimed cars that had problems had tunes from tuners that never released the cam tune.

jas11151990

Established Member
Either an idiot turned off the knock sensor or the ghost cam tune

Last edited:

SicShelby09

Banned
i was talking to BBR and they said it was the ghost cam tunes causing the failures as well.

The ghost cam tune only difference should be the cam overlap at IDLE?!?!?! Unless your car torched the #8 while it was sitting in your driveway camming, then there is something else in that tune that caused it and I assure you Jon already changed it. Its one of those situations where you did something wrong, accused someone else of it, realized it was your mistake then fixed it while telling everyone its working now and still asking who fixed it. After all this hoopla, there isnt a tuner that hasnt looked at his tunes and made them ultra safe. Trust me.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
i was emailing back and forth with steve and this is what he told me

"The majority of the cars braking was with the ghost cam tunes. A tune that was not designed for anything but the BOSS. Why we stayed away from the ghost tune. Mostly because it was designed for the BOSS which has a different exhaust valve, ported head, and better internals. Why Ford put a stop to it very quickly and even mentioned legal action. It was NOT designed by anyone. Just FORD. It leaked out due to friends hooking friends up."

Last edited:

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a bama tune, jlt intake and off road x pipe, my car currently has 8,223 miles it and it has been modded sine I had about 2k on it, and the car has never missed a beat, I person think its all bullshit, and people are probably spraying or something along those lines to be causing the cylinder 8 to burn up like that... but thats just my 2 cents on
the subject.

Quickstang5o

Established Member
It's not bs but it's also not a big deal. It happened to me but ford helped a brother out. If they didn't help me I would be crying like other people. I had a tune, cai and was running my car hard after 1000 miles. That being said most tuners have already fixed this issue. I don't think you will be seeing any more #8 failures.

Lone Star

Established Member
I have had my car for almost a month and have driven 2,200 miles since I purchased it. I have no issues with the clutch, or shifter. My car was built January 2011 and perhaps it was the earlier builds that had the issues with the clutch. As far as cylinder #8 is concerned there are too few occurances for me to worry about, and who is not to say that those threads around the internet weren't started by a Camaro owner who wanted to start a frenzy amoungst us? Or if not someone had an aggressive tune and put a cheaper grade of gas in the tank because the gas prices were jacked up around the country for a while (still are but getting better!) and all hell broke loose. If this is preventing you from purchasing a great car, you are missing out!

DIB5.0

Established Member
It's not bs but it's also not a big deal. It happened to me but ford helped a brother out. If they didn't help me I would be crying like other people. I had a tune, cai and was running my car hard after 1000 miles. That being said most tuners have already fixed this issue. I don't think you will be seeing any more #8 failures.

What tune did you have and what do you feel the problem was with the tune?

DTRAIN_WV

Established Member
My guess is this happened to 4 or 5 people and since most of the popular mustang/ford forums on the internet show up when you google "Mustang #8 failure", the problem seems widespread when it isn't. Hell, the same guy probably posted about his failure on multiple forums which also makes it look worse.

Out of the the thousands of mustangs sold in 2010 and 2011, we have what? Maybe 5 #8 failures?

That's like a 99.99 non failure rate among all Mustangs...stock, heavily modded, and in between. That's amazing.

Of course, we shouldn't pat Ford on the back for making an engine that doesn't blow up. But, if you look at it from a quality assurance/six sigma standpoint. It's a home run.

ViciousJay

Established Member
i was emailing back and forth with steve and this is what he told me

"The majority of the cars braking was with the ghost cam tunes. A tune that was not designed for anything but the BOSS. Why we stayed away from the ghost tune. Mostly because it was designed for the BOSS which has a different exhaust valve, ported head, and better internals. Why Ford put a stop to it very quickly and even mentioned legal action. It was NOT designed by anyone. Just FORD. It leaked out due to friends hooking friends up."

see i have a Lund cam tune that i had to tweak but other then slightly lower gas mileage it pulls just as hard as my BBR tune

Users who are viewing this thread