$8000 for a motor!!!!????

DonkeyTuna

Idn't dat sump'n!
Established Member
An update on the 01 that's in the shop:

1) Sheehy Ford says it has a spun main bearing at cyl #6 and they found metal flake in the motor.
2) Sheehy says it needs a new clutch.
3) Sheehy says it will be $8000 for a "rebuilt" short block and bottom end, clutch and labor (comes with 3 yr warranty).
:xpl:

Besides take a long walk off a short pier, what should I do MACA?

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
Start making phone calls or PM some people!
Call Jason (TRBOVNM) or Billy (Wiseguy)
Tommy ( JPC Racing)

I'm sure others will point you in the right direction.

TRBO VNM

yeah, screw that. you can find either a low mileage motor or new built motor for less.

say you spend 5k on a motor(which you should find a lot cheaper), 500 for a clutch, then maybe 500-1000 for the motor swap depending on where you take it.

those are high numbers, so you can do a lot better than that, just an example.

let me know if you need any help or anything. I assume your heads and everything are ok?

DonkeyTuna

Idn't dat sump'n!
Established Member
NOXCUSES said:
Do you owe money on it? Do you want two fast cobras?

I have two fast Cobra's :coolman:

Yeah, I owe on it but I owe on it by choice. I paid off the 03 and almost did the same thing with the 01. Because I didn't, the lien holder has a vested interest in leveraging their relationship with the warranty company to make good on the repairs this car needs.

As it turns out, it is now a moot point as the warranty company is not budging and I have to go out of pocket to get her back on the road.

So the question is, since I have to pay, shall I go all out and keep her for awhile or shall I just do enough to get her road ready and then sell her?

JRS BLOWN SNAKE

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
Let's back half it, tubbed and a monster big block with a 500 shot fogger system !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that will get groceries in a hurry...

TRBO VNM

DonkeyTuna said:
snip....So the question is, since I have to pay, shall I go all out and keep her for awhile or shall I just do enough to get her road ready and then sell her?

well, really you are the only one that can answer that question. it all depends on how much you want to spend. figure out your budget and what plans you would have for the car or what you really want to do and then we can all offer up some recommendations. good luck. :beer:

NOXCUSES

Z0SICK
Established Member
DonkeyTuna said:
I have two fast Cobra's :coolman:

Yeah, I owe on it but I owe on it by choice. I paid off the 03 and almost did the same thing with the 01. Because I didn't, the lien holder has a vested interest in leveraging their relationship with the warranty company to make good on the repairs this car needs.

As it turns out, it is now a moot point as the warranty company is not budging and I have to go out of pocket to get her back on the road.

So the question is, since I have to pay, shall I go all out and keep her for awhile or shall I just do enough to get her road ready and then sell her?

HAha all cobras are fast. I just meant you could make your 01 an 03 pretty easy, and go turbo with all the 01 parts you have. The fact they want 8000 is a joke. You can get a shortblock under 4000. I mean like jason said you have to figure out what you want. It would be badass to have two cobras. with your luck though something bad might happen

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Keep the '03 for the street, build the '01 for the road course (they're better balanced).

The SVT Certified Mechanic I knew at Sheehy has left. So unless they have gotten a new one.....?

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
I love owning two cobras! When my white car is finished ill have one car built for the strip and one that handles like its built for road courses.

Just like Jason has said in the end it will prob come down to whether or not you wanna keep the car, and more importantly if you can comfortably afford it.

I say keep 'em bro :beer:

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
tell them to F-off call up your favorite engine builder. and get a long block. should come in under 8K unless you get crazy in the heads. get yourself a clutch and do it yourself. takes about 4-6 hours to do a motor swap in stang

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
the guys at Sheehy are smokin crack...you can build a much better engine or you can find a short block right here..and the price is much cheaper than 8 grand of course that doesn't include labor but you get my drift... https://fordparts.com/oe_parts_catalog.html

if you look at the short blocks for the 96-98 they are only around 1800 so that may help if you just wanna get it on the road, you got all the parts to transfer the C heads on the 96-98 short block
https://fordparts.com/oe_parts_catalog.html

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
The only problem is, is the motor all torn down in their shop right now????? Agree with all the folks above though.....Get it out of there and go to someone that is MACA-friendly!!

lRageATMl

GO TERPS!
Established Member
gcassidy said:
Keep the '03 for the street, build the '01 for the road course (they're better balanced).

The SVT Certified Mechanic I knew at Sheehy has left. So unless they have gotten a new one.....?

courtney left?

DonkeyTuna

Idn't dat sump'n!
Established Member
IronTerp said:
The only problem is, is the motor all torn down in their shop right now????? Agree with all the folks above though.....Get it out of there and go to someone that is MACA-friendly!!

Agreed. I will see what it takes to get the car out of Sheehy as-is. Then take it somewhere it is loved :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread