85 mph speedo fox body

truckin

Established Member
i have a quick question for a 88' gt mustang that im still thinking about buying???

the car has a speedometer that only marks up to 85 mph???

does that means it's all that it goes, or is there a gov. ???

or is that how 88's came but go faster and can be changed out with a 140 mph speedo???

thanks

trendkilllx

Established Member
There is no governor. Thats just what they came with, and it will go faster. I swapped mine in my 87GT for a 140mph, works fine.

truckin

Established Member
trendkilllx said:
There is no governor. Thats just what they came with, and it will go faster. I swapped mine in my 87GT for a 140mph, works fine.
what do i have to do to correct the needle after i swap to 140mph speedo to calibrate right????????

thanks

truckin

Established Member
trendkilllx said:
I did nothing, it seems to be dead on. I think the calibration is actually in the gauge itself.

i was thinking i would have to have it adjusted or something???

but my main concern was it not going over 85mph, but it they will do well over right???

thanks

Last edited:

SonicSVTF

Established Member
... a bone stock 1988 Mustang 5.0 will do approxamately 140 miles per hour on the top end. It will BURY the speedometer needle, wrap it around and BEAT it against the tripometer push button. I've done this before in a few of these cars. Its really not a good Idea (its dangerous), but it will do it.
The 140mph instrument cluster from the 1989 and newer cars is a direct replacement. Just remove and interchange them. No other modifications required.

FordRacing200

Banned
SonicSVTF said:
... a bone stock 1988 Mustang 5.0 will do approxamately 140 miles per hour on the top end. It will BURY the speedometer needle, wrap it around and BEAT it against the tripometer push button. I've done this before in a few of these cars. Its really not a good Idea (its dangerous), but it will do it.
The 140mph instrument cluster from the 1989 and newer cars is a direct replacement. Just remove and interchange them. No other modifications required.
I agree, the calibration is in the speedometer, once u plug in the new one, it is all automatically set-up to work correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread