89 front springs

montanagrog

Established Member
My son bought an 89 GT convertable last year, and the owner had v6 springs under it. We changed back to the originals and added urathane isolaters. This has raised the nose slightly along with the high stock ride height. Am looking for suggestions of a spring to get about a full 1 1/2 to 2" max. drop. Since our roads (cattle trails), are not the best in the US, we need to keep light on the rating or progressive. Straight 700#-ers would rattle the car to death.

What do you suggest and any pics would be apprecaited!! THANKS!! :thumbsup:

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
2" drop is a LOT for a fox-body. It'll be slammed to the ground with hardly any clearance. I'm putting Ford Motorsport C springs and an expecting a 3/4" - 1" drop. I also have 17" rims and 245's up front and 275's in the rear so anymore then 1" and I'll be rubbing like a muddafugga.

VETTKLR

Established Member
Can you find a set of 4 cylinder springs in a local junkyard? They work out nicely...until you drop a 408 stroker in it...that gets the nose a little low. ;)

montanagrog

Established Member
With the clearance from fender to tire now, 1.5" cuts it by about 50%. The 2" drop sets it above where my 91 sits with the HR 1.75" drop, w/o urathane isolators just stock rubber ones. The urathane is raising the body up by 1/2". The previous owner had 1.5" drop with no isolators, and his ride height was lower than what I'm looking to do. (He kept very good records of what he did to the car and specs on it. Great to buy from an extremely picky engineer.)

vettklr -The old owner had the 6 cylinder springs in when we bought it and the body roll in a corner sucked, and we likes the corners! He was told that the light springs would be better than the eibachs he had. The ride and handling of the stock GT springs is better but not the ride height. Need to drop the nose down.

poopnut2 - We were about deceided on the c-spring too. From what I've seen, Ford is showing max drop on their ratings. I put the 'f'-spring on my Cobra and drop was 1", (at that time Ford said 1.5 drop). Add the urathane, and I'm about at 5/8" drop even after 2 years settling time. What is your fender to tire clearance at rest? How about at full compression? What is your sidewall height? We were looking to go to 17" wheels also and maybe with the 17s it would change the clearance enough that the 2" would be too far.

Thanks for your replies! I'd didn't want to go ordering things that don't work and am not familiar with the clearances on the 89 and it's smaller wheelwells as compared to my two cars.

Jkstang78

Established Member
I would go with a set of Mac lowering springs and a set of Tokico sturts/shocks around the car. Kyb for quads also. I was one of the best suspension setups I had on my car at the time. Road/handel real nice. Did not feel every little bump either. Here is a pic of my car to lowered.

Lowering Springs 79-98 MustangThese are the MAC Lowering Springs designed for 1979-1998 Mustangs. These kits will lower your vehicle approximately 1½". Backed by MAC’s lifetime warranty and powder coated red.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread