89 lx 4-banger?

gtmustang003

Established Member
Im thinking about buying an 89 mustang lx hatchback with a 4 banger in it from my buddy for 800$. The body is in perfect condition. No rust,dents, or dings. I want to put a DSS short block in it with all the goodies. What would I have to do with motor mounts? And anyone know some good links where I can shop for a computer/injector set up?

nastygt

Officially Crazy
Established Member
You don't have to do anything with the motor mounts that I know of I didn't when I did my conversion.

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
have fun with it.... I am in the process of doing my 4cyl to 5liter swap as we speak. I pick my block and crank up at the shop today and assemble it sometime this week.

to give you a basic list of things that you will need...

engine
motor mounts
fuel lines
fuel pump
mass air
trans mission
flywheel
clutch
pressure plate
ECM
harness
8.8 Rear end
aluminum driveshaft
upper/lower control arms

all accessories for motor
power steering pump braket
alt bracket
balancer
waterpump

there are tons more things but I just cant think clearly about what all you will need. U didnt care about a/c on mine so I just sawed off the lines at the firewall. With mine I have stripped the car down and repaired my body work, pulled auto trans, pulled motor, painted engine bay. I am building a forged 306 for it now with a block that I acquired for almost nothing. I am trying to build mine for as little as possible to get it running good, and in a few months after saving up some more money doing heads/intake on it as well. When I get it running, hopefully in 2-3 weeks, it will be a forged 306, E-cam, stock ported heads, stock intakes, a/c delete, emissions deleted. As long as it runs reliably then I will upgrade my brake setup from the 4 banger brakes to 90+ 5 liter brakes. Still going to to wheel bearings and all those little things too before I drive it far. This has really been alot harder of a project than I thought it would be. Not that it is very hard, but its like a never ending list of things that I should do just to make sure the car is "right".

gtmustang003

Established Member
^^ Thats awesome keep me posted on how it turns out...I've been shopping for parts all day. I plan on going with a 302 block, get it bored, dss crank, dss forged pistons. not sure what cam yet. I want to do either AFR or Victor Jr. aluminum heads. And once I get the motor built Ill start saving for a turbo kit. I havent decided what kit I want yet. And far as mounts go I've been doing research on AJE tubular k-members. That will probably be the route that I go.

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
I have tons of pictures but nothing worth posting until I actually have the motor bolted in the car. As soon as that gets done I will drop you a PM or start a thread about my project.

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
well I am doing a stronger bottom end so it would be possible. With my cobra being s/c I would like to do a turbo fox. But I am going to be fighting wether or not to pull the motor in a year and do that modular fox I have wanted to do forever. I am going to do heads and intakes here in a month or so with a bigger cam, then I will decide if I want to run boost. I will probably just run a nitrous car though

gtmustang003

Established Member
Ya I thought about going to modular route. I would love to have an 03 KB cobra motor in a fox. I think the wiring would be a little over my head though.

Users who are viewing this thread