$8k to spend on the truck

Jpolen

Established Member
I have $8k to spend on a F-250. What all should i do to the truck to get the most power i can ? i plan on doing all the normal stuff like a chip and exhaust.

Fuxton

Established Member
You'll be surprised at what a programmer will do. First off, what year is it? You can always upgrade the turbo, injectors, propane and nitrous. If its a 6.0 id change out the headstuds and head gaskets before u do too much. Mine went with just a programmer. And the tranny wont hold up to a lot of power if ur lead footed.

Last edited:

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
Well, first figure out if it's an Early or Late 99.. it does matter, "Early" 99s have slightly different setup under the hood than the late 99-2003 7.3s. Being that it's slightly different, some mods wont install properly or wont install at all.. the best idea is to get on a Powerstroke forum and find out there, or some of the other guys here will chime in. Not to sway you away from SVTP, but those guys are more experienced than me.. but I'll help you as much as I can. Im new to the diesel world, so I can help you a little bit.

99-2000 trucks, not sure about early 99s, they all have forged connecting rods, versus 2001 and up all have the Powdered metal rods such as in the L. Basically, if you have the PMRs you're limited to about 400HP until one lets go, that's also with gobs and gobs of torque is why the 400HP might seem low.

ANYWAY, basically you can get any "off the shelf" tuning from programmers/modules and put it on the highest setting and be OK, even the popular chips wont put you near that 400 RWHP mark. You'll need something else to get you to 400RWHP on a 7.3 other than boost from the factory turbo... which also, the factory thrust bearing turbo has it's limitations, at around 25-30PSI the factory turbo is pretty much maxed out on its limit.

The turbo also varies in the early/late 99s, the early 99s have a better compressor wheel, but the late 99s have a not so great compressor wheel but a better exhaust housing I believe.

The motors themselves are very strong, no one really makes a short or long block for a Powerstroke, that might be custom work if you get far into that. The transmission is something you'd want to look into as well, BTS (Brians Truck Shop) seems to be the best in the 4R100s for the diesel too, assuming you have an auto.

To get started, what you'll atleast want is a 4inch turboback exhaust, gauges which are typically Boost, EGT, and Trans temp that a lot of guys run, including myself. Open up the intake some, and tuning of your choice. That'll wake the 7.3 up a lot.

After that, there are tons more things you can do.. Garrett has a "Drop in" Ball bearing turbo, max boost is 40PSI. You can go with better injectors, which will require tuning as well.

You'll have to do a lot supporting mods there is for the power you want, just like anything else. So if you want propane, nitrous, meth, etc. etc. be prepared to get a lot more than just those.

How much power do you want is really the question? My truck is just the DD along with everything else that you can use a PSD for.

Jpolen

Established Member
Well i appreciate that you can help me and i thank you. It helps cause im only 18 years old, so i dont know alot about this stuff as you can tell. Well im putting a 5" exhaust system on it with a 6" tip. And im all so putting a nitrous system with the edge chip with a evolution chip which then together it's 155 hp gain. I'm also lowering it 2" in the front and 4" in the back. Its only a 2wd and is a auto. Im also going to take the heads of and but new head gaskets.
It helps to that my buddy NClemans (hes on this forum, drives a 04 cobra)its a sweet ride) but any ways hes helping me on it to and we just need some body that nows a little more than us just reading up on this stuff. But do you know how much injectors cost?

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
Aftermarket Injectors are over a thousand bucks I believe for all 8.

Check out, http://www.dp-tuner.com, It well suit your nitrous and any power adder mods better with his custom tuning.

You have to call in order to talk about custom tunes, he's the guy to go for 7.3 tuning from what I can tell.

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
Lord Tauk said:
Aftermarket Injectors are over a thousand bucks I believe for all 8.

Check out the links below for upgraded injectors.

Dennis at ITP Diesel provides EXCELLENT customer service. His service is second to none.

Beans (BDP) also gives very good service.

I haven't yet dealt with DI or Swamps, but I have talked with David Lott (owner of DI) and he's a very helpful, very nice guy who knows his stuff.

Swamps has an excellent rep as well.

http://www.itpdiesel.com/store.php?crn=176
http://www.dieselinnovations.com/di.php
http://www.beansdieselperformance.com/
http://swamp-donkey.biz/

Check out, http://www.dp-tuner.com, It well suit your nitrous and any power adder mods better with his custom tuning.

You have to call in order to talk about custom tunes, he's the guy to go for 7.3 tuning from what I can tell.

Tauk hit a home run with this advice. Jody Tipton at DP-Tuner is incredible. His tunes are safe, and will wake your truck up and make you feel like taking on a Cummins! ;-)

Jody has also created a chip (the F5 chip) capable of holding up to 16 of his performance tunes. Check out his webiste, call him and pick his brain. He'll help you figure out which way you wanna go.

Stewart

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
I was actually planning on going with an Edge module or the Evo, but after listening to some advice on DP tuner, I think I'll go his route when I get to that point.

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
I've seen posts where guys have switched from the Edge Juice / Attitude to the F5, using Jody's tunes, and they said the F5 blew the Edge Juice / Attitude away.

I have his 40 tow, 80 tow, 80 econo, and 120 play tunes. When I upgrade my injectors, turbo, and my HPOS, i'll have the chip reburned for the injectors and have Jody add a 140 tune to the chip. :D

Those upgrades will eventually lead to a BTS tranny, one way or another! LOL!

Stewart

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
If I was you I would go talk to Tadd at Elite-Diesel.com. Tadd was in the West Coast diesel shootout. He has a 700+ Rwhp 6.0. He is working on some crazy twin turbo setups for the 7.3. If I was you, I would talk to him before going to any forum. Also the edge chips have been known to cause tranny slip, surge, and failure after a couple hundred miles. The SCT or the DP flip chip the the best way to go for the 7.3. If you have any questions, I would talk to Tadd first at elite-diesel.com and then head over to thedieselstop.com. There are alot of knowledgable people over there. Sorry for the long post, I just thought it might help out.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
Stewart_H said:
Pain, I love that R-Code in your sig. Absolutely sweet!

Stewart

Thank you. You just can't beat good ol'American muscle.:D

But the the OP, you can't go wrong with the DP. The edge stuff is over rated and over priced, why get canned tunes when you can get a DP or SCT for that matter custom burnt with tunes that work with what you are going to be throwing at it? If I was you, for the $8,000, I would invest in some saftey gear first....SunCoast tranny, heads, studs, intercooler, fuel supply, and things of that nature. Nothing hurts worst than ruining a 4 grand turbo do to engin failure.

Users who are viewing this thread