9” Rear end...

Garrin

Established Member
I will be ordering a complete, bolt in 9” rear end tomorrow or Friday. Does anyone have any leads on a good deal on one? If I can’t find anything else, I’ll be getting the Moser with 35 spline and the TrueTrac diff. Any experience with these? It was a toss up between the Moser and the Strange, but for only a $99 difference, I’d rather have the Moser.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Currie has a bolt in 9" also.

20170315_095118_resized.jpg

Handlebar Moustache

Established Member
I have a Moser M9 35 spline with a Wavetrac and aluminum carrier. It's great so far, but I don't beat on it; never go to the strip, etc. The Wavetrac has a lifetime warranty FWIW. The previous owner set the car up, so i can't take that credit. He did a beautiful job. I have previous experience with Strange products, but only on an older Mustang; nothing with as much torque as these GT500s.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. If you like the Moser, I'd say go for it. I'm happy with mine.

Garrin

Established Member
I have a Moser M9 35 spline with a Wavetrac and aluminum carrier. It's great so far, but I don't beat on it; never go to the strip, etc. The Wavetrac has a lifetime warranty FWIW. The previous owner set the car up, so i can't take that credit. He did a beautiful job. I have previous experience with Strange products, but only on an older Mustang; nothing with as much torque as these GT500s.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. If you like the Moser, I'd say go for it. I'm happy with mine.
Perfect. Unless I just stumble across a crazy good deal, I’ll be calling them in a The morning to place an order. And I guess I need to call the driveshaft shop too and order their driveshaft.

Handlebar Moustache

Established Member
Perfect. Unless I just stumble across a crazy good deal, I’ll be calling them in a The morning to place an order. And I guess I need to call the driveshaft shop too and order their driveshaft.

That's where mine is from if I'm thinking right. Aluminum from the driveshaft shop. It's a pretty setup on the rack...

upload_2019-2-13_22-3-5.png

Axles are beefy...

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Strange makes the bolt in 9” for Cobra Jets and Ford Performance.
Mine was a bolt in, no issues for once.
Probably good either way but my money went to Strange
-J

Garrin

Established Member
I just ordered the Moser. They both appear to be great companies with great products, I just personally like Moser better. And the guy I spoke with there (Shawn Homan) seemed to be extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

Softballer77

Established Member
Gotcha. Wondering cost. I did email them after i noticed I missed what you mentioned a few blocks up. I'm assuming they have a standard measurement they are using for our application when going to a 9"?
My 8.8 is at a diff shop right now. I think the 33 splined mosers are bent, and i'm just tired of the whine and play i get over time. The last build was done by Currie with a Wavetrak. Just not happy. Waiting to hear back from them to what they find as I'm away on business currently.

Garrin

Established Member
Yeah, my 8.8 was making all kinds of noise. DSS does have all the dimensions and everything for making one to go from the TR6060 to the Moser 9" (i'm assuming it would be the same for all 9") but I ordered mine from Lethal Performance and got it about $150 cheaper than if I were to order it directly from DSS.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes you need a new shaft but if you have the stock TR6060 they have the specs you need.
I have the Magnum XL and have those specs (XL to 9”) if anyone needs them. I had a great experience getting my CF SFI approved shaft from PST.
-J

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you have the track pack, how do upgrade to a 9” as I don’t see any with a provision for the lines running to the OEM track pack rear end.

Garrin

Established Member
I've heard of people drilling and tapping holes into the new case. I just unhooked everything and removed the lines and the pump. I don't think I'll ever actually "need" a diff cooler. Speaking of....I have a diff cooler set up off a 2013 for sale if anyone is interested.

Garrin

Established Member
Just thought I'd update you guys...
I installed the Moser 9" and DSS driveshaft about two weeks ago. Had a few hiccups here and there, but overall wasn't too terribly bad. The little "C" shims that go in between the axle bearing and the caliper mounting plate didn't fit right so I had to take them down to a machine shop and have them milled down a few thousandths. The driveshaft seemed to be about an eight of an inch too long so I had to adjust the rear end back that much to accommodate for it. Which of course, made my rear springs just slightly off so they aren't perfectly straight up and down.

Side note: I'm getting a pretty good amount of "clanking noise" from the driveshaft when going from forward to reverse.

I changed the upper control arm last night to the one BMR makes for use on the S197 with a 9" conversion, that helped tremendously and is no longer making contact with the center section. All of this was a lot of work, especially trying to do it after hours and in my little bit of free time that I have. But I'd say it was definitely worth it. The 35 spline axles seem HUGE when compared to the factory 31 spline's, and the 3.89 gears made a world of difference. When I finally get traction, it pulls like a freight train!
I ordered some 17x10.5 Forgestar F14's and some 305/45/17 M/T ET Street R's, they seemed to hit the inner fender when I test fitted but haven't had time to really mess with them yet. Hoping a small spacer will fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread