9.50s on the stock clutch. Congrats Bruce video inside

speedy2012

Established Member
Let me ask your opinion, is it a good idea to run E85 in our cars when you are making 700-750+hp instead of pump 93?
I've been back and forth on this since I'm basically in that range now

I ask this not from a HP gain but more of a safeguard to protect against a lean condition. Is it worth it in your opinion.

I'm strictly a weekend cruiser and occasional run or two and have several stations local to me selling it.

What are the Cons over time from running E85?

Thoughts from anyone?
I'm running E85 - just over 700 to the wheels . I't's great - except for the fact that , especially this past year - the E85 has been very inconsistent . I was having some trouble with my car over the summer and found one problem was the station that I was getting my E85 at actually tested to be about E70 . I got on the car a few times with the crappy fuel in it ,and didn't do any damage , but luckily my tuner also gave me an E70 tune to use , so I put that tune in until I found another station that tested to have true E85 . Now I carry an extra gas can with me and check it first . Not a big deal - you can buy a tester for like $15 and it only takes 5 minutes .
The advantages , though are nice because of the lower temp E85 burns at , and so the more timing and boost you can have safely .

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
E85 is a great fuel, as long as you know what you're putting in the tank. Cons are having to test to make sure it's reliable, having to have a fuel system to support it, and the hit in fuel mileage (If you have a GT500, you probably don't care much about this to begin with).

You can still run lean on E85, but it's detonation resistance is so high that it will likely just melt things from heat before it starts knocking. Fortunately if you get E70 instead of E85, you will go rich rather than lean - the car will run like crap but at least it won't burn down.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
E85 is a great fuel, as long as you know what you're putting in the tank. Cons are having to test to make sure it's reliable, having to have a fuel system to support it, and the hit in fuel mileage (If you have a GT500, you probably don't care much about this to begin with).

You can still run lean on E85, but it's detonation resistance is so high that it will likely just melt things from heat before it starts knocking. Fortunately if you get E70 instead of E85, you will go rich rather than lean - the car will run like crap but at least it won't burn down.

Exactly. e70 is not going to hurt anything while tuned on e85 as it still provides the detonation resistance ... you'd actually be richer on e70.

Dusten

Established Member
E85 is a benefit on our cars no matter what your WHP, all you need is a 21 volt BAP and ID1300s or 1050s if your tuner says it's ok. The only draw back to E85 is you have to test every fill up and I always recommend running Lucas ethanol fuel treatment every fill up, it helps keep everything lubricanted correctly. I've been running E85 for over a year now and I'll probably never go back to pump gas....and the smell is amazing.
Lol at the smell
When on e85 I can actually let my truck warm up in the garage

Users who are viewing this thread