9 sec fox body

rev440

young punk
Established Member
What does it take to make a 9 second fox body and what is the best way to get there? How much boost can a built engine handel and how much horse do I need to get there.

Thanks alot guys,
Nate

maniak87

All Nutz
Established Member
there are many ways to get a nine second fox. one way is a 347 w/ nitrous. there are so many combinations and it all depends on how you want to do it. depending on how built the bottom end is, it can handle as much boost as you want. you could twin turbo, supercharge, nitrous, all comes down to prefrence.

check out corral.net and see what the fastest stangs are using as their set up. This should give you a good idea.

Last edited:

rev440

young punk
Established Member
Well theres a certain procharged 93 cobra around and I thought if I could change the pulley to about 21 lbs if the engine will even take that much and then lighten the car then it should run 9's. So about 640whp will that get me there with a car that weighs under 3k?

Thanks for the responses,
Nate

ich1baN

Established Member
Also since foxes cant handle over 500 horses on the factory block as stated by many people. Would you have to buy a whole new block setup, or is there a way to just buy new internals?

buddha93

Established Member
How deep into the nines do you want to run? As far a getting the car down to say 2900lbs, your going to have to gut it completely. If your just looking to break into the nines, 640rwhp will get you there pretty easily.

Last edited:

rev440

young punk
Established Member
buddha93 said:
How deep into the nines do you want to run? As far a getting the car down to say 2900lbs, your going to have to gut it completely. If your just looking to break into the nines, 640rwhp will get you there pretty easily.

Just like a 9.99 just like skim into the 9's. But also id like to swap the pulleys and have one for the track and one for the street so the car would be more drivable.

Thanks guys!
Nate

Last edited:

buddha93

Established Member
So what exactly are you planning as far as a motor is concerned? Stick shift or auto? What tire are you going to use.....slick or drag radial? There are a ton of varibles to consider, you just have to figure out how you want to go about it, and at what cost.

rev440

young punk
Established Member
I have quite thought it out all the way but full slicks, 5 speed, 302 with built bottom end procharger and Im not sure what heads or anything. But I dont want to spend alot of money and still drive the car atleast once a week possably to the summer house which is about 85 miles away on different tires. I geuss im just looking for the best and by best I mean cheapest but still having a solid car get into the 9's.

buddha93

Established Member
LOL, you not asking for much, are you?

It can be done, but sorry to say it aint' going to be cheap. Your not going to make the power you need with a stock block, so there goes 2k right there. $3500 for a blower, another $1500 for an out of the box type head with roller rockers, and we haven't even gotten into the injectors and othe miscellaneous stuff to make it work. And you need to ditch the 5 speed......a c-4 will get you there a lot easier.

Honestly, the cheapest way to do it is build a 351 based motor and throw a carburator and a shot of nitrous on it. Probably not what you had in mind, but going fast is never cheap.

maniak87

All Nutz
Established Member
I am assuming you are going to stroke the 302 because you will definetly need more displacement. i think staying with a smaller displacment will end up coasting a lot more money. the key to making the power is all in the heads and cam.

buddha93 is right on. going fast isn't cheap especially if you want it streetable. it seems like there are to many variables flying around. what is your current set-up? its tough to make a streetable 9 sec car without spending alot. It seems like you have a plan but you need to figure out more details.

Last edited:

rev440

young punk
Established Member
buddha93 said:
LOL, you not asking for much, are you?

It can be done, but sorry to say it aint' going to be cheap. Your not going to make the power you need with a stock block, so there goes 2k right there. $3500 for a blower, another $1500 for an out of the box type head with roller rockers, and we haven't even gotten into the injectors and othe miscellaneous stuff to make it work. And you need to ditch the 5 speed......a c-4 will get you there a lot easier.

Honestly, the cheapest way to do it is build a 351 based motor and throw a carburator and a shot of nitrous on it. Probably not what you had in mind, but going fast is never cheap.

The car is not stock already. Its procharged with about 510hp at the crank. The crank and block are both aftermarket. Ive thought about the c4 a time or two but I just dont know. The cars not mine but a friends which I am looking to buy this summer and really hope to make it go 9's. Its a efi car which I thought about changing it a carb car but I dont know. For the engine i was thinking maybe a 347with 18lbs+or- of boost. Im trying to do my homework befor taking the plunge so when i get a 5.0 I can do it right.

Basically I think lifting the wheels up and running a single digit time would be a hugh acomplishment.

Thanks
Nate

Last edited:

buddha93

Established Member
Ah, now we're talking. This makes it a whole new ballgame.

How big of Procharger is it? What heads are on it?

rev440

young punk
Established Member
Im not quite certain but I want to say GT40 heads? Im wanting to say its a P-1SC blower but agian im not quite sure. I know its running on about 10-12lbs currently and making 500horse

sled

Established Member
it needs a good aftermarket block. not a sportsman. your looking at 10k easy for a long block that can go 9s and be driven all the time. your gonna need to upgrade to a D1SC, sump fuel system, and a built C4. your looking at over 20 grand to build something like that. the stock/sportsman block will crack.

buddha93

Established Member
Yep, that blower isn't going to get you into the 9's, nor are the GT-40's. The equipment just isn't there.

Really, it sounds like a pretty nice setup as is. Unless your looking for a major overhaul, it won't be simple.

I think you should set your sights a little lower and maybe shoot for a high 10 second timeslip. With a pulley change and a methanol kit for good measure should get you close to that number. That's a realistic number, and not exactly a small feat. There aren't many street cars that will turn that ET in the quarter.

rev440

young punk
Established Member
So 20 grand when I already have the car and the procharger? If thats the case no thanks I dont have that much kind of money to throw around.

sled

Established Member
going 9s cost alot of money. dont think your gonna do it cheap. im building a 9 second camaro right now and theirs already 15 grand into it. the procharger and heads are a good start, but going that fast takes alot more. driving something that fast is another story.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
I agree with everybody else.

You will need a different block such as a dart or FRPP 'R' block. Better heads, bigger blower, aftermarket 5-speed.

I am hoping for 10's this year in a full weight car with 520rwhp. My combo is a Procharger D-1, AFR 165 heads, and a B-31 cam piled into a 306

cobra93

Established Member
Other things to Consider

NHRA competition license, requisite safety equipment (the double layer fire suites are heavy and very warm in the hot weather), proper certified chassis which will need to pass inspection, signed doctors certificate every two years.

sled

Established Member
cobra93 said:
NHRA competition license, requisite safety equipment (the double layer fire suites are heavy and very warm in the hot weather), proper certified chassis which will need to pass inspection, signed doctors certificate every two years.
yeah im working on all that right now, it sucks. my buddy drove his TT C5 vette down last year and ran a 9.90 at 145. they were flipping out about it. it looks bone stock on M/T drag radials. he was wearing jeans, a t shirt and flip flops!!! i dont know how he got pass tech, but hey it was atco. lol!

Users who are viewing this thread