900$ sensor on a Cat?!

SVTxXxFreak6

TSAFE MOTHER****ER
Established Member
Hey guys,
one of my friends has a 97 F150 and recently he had an issue with the check engine light. He went to Ford and they told him it was a sensor on the catalytic converter and the price to replace it would be 900$. :cuss:

I can't for the life of me figure out what the hell sensor they are talking about.

uncooked

Established Member
Right behind the muffler bearings maybe?

I don't know maybe the O2's ? Must be made of solid gold on his vehicle !

built54

Established Member
haha rip off. tell him he can upgrade to long tube headers, high flow cats, and new o2 sensors for the price of what they will charge him!

jerardogav

Established Member
They probably were talking about the 02 sensors but get all technincal. Sensors 250 plus labor 650 thats how the stealerships work.

SVTxXxFreak6

TSAFE MOTHER****ER
Established Member
Kinda figured they we're talking about the 02 sensors and jacking up the price but supposedly the guy was a friend of my friend so I just wanted to know if it was anything else possibly.

Koval7887

Established Member
Right behind the muffler bearings maybe?

I don't know maybe the O2's ? Must be made of solid gold on his vehicle !

:lol:
my muffler bearings just took a shit on me last week (I spun one)...man were they a BITCH to change...

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
do you have any idea how those techs get paid?

What are you talking about Mike??

It's a great time financially to be a Mechanic. Just look how much work we had last Friday at 2PM.......

shop.jpg

And to think that the Big 3 have the balls to ask for some help from the Government. :rolleyes:

Thats my helper laying on the floor taking a little siesta before the afternoon rush hits us hard.

Lightning_Bolt

2002 Lightning
Established Member

It's a great time financially to be a Mechanic. Just look how much work we had last Friday at 2PM.......

And to think that the Big 3 have the balls to ask for some help from the Government. :rolleyes:

Thats my helper laying on the floor taking a little siesta before the afternoon rush hits us hard.

Maybe they would have more buisiness if their prices and work were more competent and competitive?

dizzygoat

Established Member
^^^EXACTLY, im the type that would rather pay instead of bust my knuckles up, but not anymore. What ever happened to "you get what you pay for"? The prices some dealers as for work you'd think that includes platinum coating on the products and a massage while you wait. It's no wonder why some dealerships struggle to get business. Dont get me wrong, that cant be said for ALL dealerships, they are SOME great ones out there, but those are few and far between. Hence the stereotypical name "stealership"

flsvt

pullin away
Established Member

shop.jpg

kinda looks like our dealership mon-fri after 1pm :nonono: very sad

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Maybe they would have more buisiness if their prices and work were more competent and competitive?

^^^EXACTLY, im the type that would rather pay instead of bust my knuckles up, but not anymore. What ever happened to "you get what you pay for"? The prices some dealers as for work you'd think that includes platinum coating on the products and a massage while you wait. It's no wonder why some dealerships struggle to get business. Dont get me wrong, that cant be said for ALL dealerships, they are SOME great ones out there, but those are few and far between. Hence the stereotypical name "stealership"

The hard part is that none of us (including myself) have any idea what was included in the entire estimate presented to this guy. I'm sure that there is Diag, the sensor itself and the labor to install the sensor. There might be something else that they were trying to sell the guy along with the sensor or something else needed along with the sensor. We don't know. The hard part is that when people get expensive estimates they never break it down into each individual repair or service, it's just the total dollar amount. I could be wrong, they could be completely trying to screw this guy over.

Are there bad mechanics out there? You beet your ass there are. I work next to one of them. There are bad people and people that will take your money just because they can in ANY type of business. I've had asshole Cops pull me over, I've been screwed over by general contractors and so on. It doesn't mean that all Cops or General contractors are bad.

Try being in my shoes. I'm an honest person and I have one rule when it comes to selling work to customers, "I will not sell anything to anyone that I would not feel comfortable if another mechanic tried to sell the exact same work to my mother or my wife."

Bottom line is everyone hates a mechanic...............until they need one because they can't fix it themselves.

Last edited:

SVTxXxFreak6

TSAFE MOTHER****ER
Established Member
The hard part is that none of us (including myself) have any idea what was included in the entire estimate presented to this guy. I'm sure that there is Diag, the sensor itself and the labor to install the sensor. There might be something else that they were trying to sell the guy along with the sensor or something else needed along with the sensor. We don't know. The hard part is that when people get expensive estimates they never break it down into each individual repair or service, it's just the total dollar amount. I could be wrong, they could be completely trying to screw this guy over.

Are there bad mechanics out there? You beet your ass there are. I work next to one of them. There are bad people and people that will take your money just because they can in ANY type of business. I've had asshole Cops pull me over, I've been screwed over by general contractors and so on. It doesn't mean that all Cops or General contractors are bad.

Try being in my shoes. I'm an honest person and I have one rule when it comes to selling work to customers, "I will not sell anything to anyone that I would not feel comfortable if another mechanic tried to sell the exact same work to my mother or my wife."

Bottom line is everyone hates a mechanic...............until they need one because they can't fix it themselves.

Nicely put Eric, and I totally agree on you.:beer:
Some people just ruin the image of the profession they do for the honest hard working people. :mj: I'm just looking out for my friend because he really is not mechanically inclined and I figured the total cost of $900 included the diagnostic test, labor and the part....Still a steep price.

Tomorrow I'm going to go and install new 02 sensors for him and see if it still throws the CEL.

dizzygoat

Established Member
i didnt mean to take shots at any one person, actually anybody on here for that matter. I specifically said some not all are douche bag scammers because i knew that indeed there are mechanics that are members here. I bet that the 10% of the standup dealership mechanics are probably the ones that frequent this site. To you guys, THANK YOU, and i really mean that. I apologize if i rubbed anyone the wrong way, the last thing i wanna do is go around sh!tting in your beds, i was just venting/giving my opinion.
again, i apologize if my statements were deemed inappropriate in any way, shape, or form.
Brad

Users who are viewing this thread