900hp for 6 grand?

Mowgli

Established Member
Want to double check some shit I'm spouting on another forum.

900hp.
6,000 dollars.

Doable, yes?

SVTspeed

Established Member
900 rwhp or crank? Id say get a steggie, pulley tune, basic mods, 200-250 shot nos.. yeah i think roughly 900hp for 6k

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Twin turbo setup will run you a little more than that........8, 9 grand maybe. So, the question becomes, can you run a very aggressive twin screw setup with a huge shot of juice to get to 900 rwhp for 6K? Be pretty tough IMO.

Eatonup

Established Member
I don't know how long the motor would last but a Kenne Bell 2.4 @ 25-26PSI with cams and a 100 shot would certainly get you close. I think that would be around $6000-$7000 with the supporting mods. Now go back and hassle those CTS-V guys. ;-)

Mowgli

Established Member
Yeah - gotta keep the "Grey Poupon" crowd down. Even if it means being creative with my factszez...

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Mowgli said:
Want to double check some shit I'm spouting on another forum.

900hp.
6,000 dollars.

Doable, yes?

Stop spouting that shit cuz it is wrong. Way too many cars with burnt shortblock parts at 600ish to be suggesting 900hp would last more than one dyno pull.

short answer, NO

Mowgli

Established Member
I didn't say anything about longevity. But I'm sure several Texans will disagree with your one dyno pull at 900hp statement. :) I also didn't mention any cautionaries over there about what happens if you do something wrong. Its a "bucks for hp" type thread and I want to make sure my "what if" was at least possible. Does $6,000 point you in the 900hp direction? Yes it does. If you're super frugal, do the work yourself, are cautious, etc etc etc. Reading more here and from my 3 years of Cobra ownership I now feel comfortable its at least *possible*. Can you blow a motor at 900hp? Yuo bet. 600hp? Oh yes. 500, 400hp? Entirely possibly as well - but then that wasn't the topic. Thanks.

Hey Postban, I think you and I got our Cobras like 1 week apart back in 02. Ah, them was the days. :) First summer with the Cobra, wow was that fun. :) I miss it. (in a CTS-V now, btw)

Robertson Racin

All American Muscle
Established Member
To make 900hp at the motor for $6000 is possible. If you could buy a Procharger for under $2000, I think it could be done, but you wouldn't have the supporting mods, like upgraded trans and IRS... Could it be safe or useable not to sure....

Last edited:

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
you can definately do that as long as you not concerned about it lasting.
(ie at that level you would want to think about return style fuel system, lots of cooling upgrades, solid rear (or upgraded irs), etc etc)

but if you just want one quick pull or one trip down the track sure, cheap enough to slam a mondo nitrous kit on there and get the hp your looking for.

BenD

Established Member
Unlikely!

That kind of HP can only be obtained with a built up, larger displacement motor, wild Cams, super port job on the heads 2.4 KB equipped, probably twin Turbo'd instead, and all the supporting mods, 3" custom exhaust system and one hell-of-a-good tune....then maybe! With nitrous added, improves the chance. That's the way I see getting close to 900 or 1000 HP with this car.

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
Well, the X2C motorsports car had nearly that much HP. They had a 88mm turbo, a custom intake ($1500), injectors ($500), fuel pumps ($400), exhaust ($1000), chip ($400). They had a lot more, but that's assuming you did the work yourself, and cut some corners. So with all those things, that takes you to $3800 plus the turbo. The turbo will definitely put you over $6k.

I'd say you could stretch it and get there by just buying the power mods (with nitrous). The fuel system probably wouldn't support it for more than 1 dyno run. And you clutch probably wouldn't hold to put that power to the ground, so you'd never even dyno that high.

My guess is $10,000+ to do it. More if you do it the right way.

04torchred

Established Member
X2C was running a stand alone fuel system so I think the estimate of $400 is a little off.

As far as 900rwhp for $6000 I doubt it. **** someone was running a HP TT setup at 22psi and layed down 813rwhp. So it will take a KB/Cams/Nitrous/116 octane and a race only tune, this bitch will make too much heat to make extended street bursts. So even unreliably I doubt 900rwhp. I would be more impressed if people could start making big numbers on pump gas. Just my thoughts

redaddiction

Project Venom
Established Member
It can be done if you are creative and do the work yourself

I'll have
3 k for single turob kit using stock intercooler with upgraded he
1200 for mccleod clutch
300 for 26 spline input shaft
straight swap for solid axle
1500 for cams and springs

So I was a little off fuel system and tuing will be another 1 k but thats not bad since I will save some money with used parts and extra stuff I've had laying around.

dougwg

Established Member
redaddiction said:

I'll have
1200 for mccleod clutch

So I was a little off fuel system and tuing will be another 1 k but thats not bad since I will save some money with used parts and extra stuff I've had laying around.

I wish you the best... but I think you will burn a few pistons @900hp

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
redaddiction said:

I'll have
1200 for mccleod clutch

Just out of curiosity does "solid axle" mean a completely built one and all the appropriate suspension mods to be able to get that kind of power to the ground? I just can't see 900+ being made for $6k.

Users who are viewing this thread