90mm MAF Question

Factor

Established Member
I just came across a real cheap 90mm maf from a wrecked lightning and I was wondering what do I have to do to be able to run it on my 99 cobra? If I have to get it recalibrated could I use my SCT livewire to do it?

I am sorry if this has been asked before but I did a search and I could not find an answer. I really appreciate your help.

01yellercobra

Established Member
You'd have to get a tune for it. The MAF transfer function would need to be adjusted. And that's not something you can do with just the Livewire. Are you planning on boost anytime in the future? If it's pretty cheap it might be worth picking up and putting it to the side until you need it.

Factor

Established Member
Thanks for the quick response slo984now. I got it for $50 paypaled and shipped so I figured that for that price I could not pass it up. I came from Turbo AWD DSM's so my dream is to put a turbo on my cobra one day; but I am just a little SSgt so I will take another deployment for me to be able to afford a kit. Thanks again for your help.

281CJ

Established Member
just put your 80mm sensor in the 90mm housing and have the tuner re-calibrate. the Lightning MAF doesn't have the IAT built in.

Thats what I did.

03MACH150BP

2003 Mach1 Slowmatic
Established Member
just put your 80mm sensor in the 90mm housing and have the tuner re-calibrate. the Lightning MAF doesn't have the IAT built in.

Thats what I did.

When you say "tuner re-calibrate" do you mean retune the A/F ratio? I assume it makes the car run leaner so you need to add some fuel.

281CJ

Established Member
you have to change the MAF transfer function, and A/F here is an example.

I went form a stock MAF, TB and a K&N intake to a JLT RAI, accufab 60mm TB and a 90mm MAF, I went form sucking 45#'s of air at max load to 63# at max load. So the car is breathing a LOT easier.

03MACH150BP

2003 Mach1 Slowmatic
Established Member
you have to change the MAF transfer function, and A/F here is an example.

I went form a stock MAF, TB and a K&N intake to a JLT RAI, accufab 60mm TB and a 90mm MAF, I went form sucking 45#'s of air at max load to 63# at max load. So the car is breathing a LOT easier.

Well I don't know what/where the MAF function is. I tune my fuel and timing my selfusing mywideband and Predator. So I guess I cannot shange the MAF function with my predator?

281CJ

Established Member
Well I don't know what/where the MAF function is. I tune my fuel and timing my selfusing mywideband and Predator. So I guess I cannot shange the MAF function with my predator?

Nope you would need a tuner to do it.

01yellercobra

Established Member
So how do you do it?

You need the actual tuning software to do it, not just the hand held. Anytime you change a MAF you need to adjust the transfer function to get the correct A/F ratio. So unless you're planning on getting a tune in the near future, I wouldn't bother swapping the MAF's.

03MACH150BP

2003 Mach1 Slowmatic
Established Member
You need the actual tuning software to do it, not just the hand held. Anytime you change a MAF you need to adjust the transfer function to get the correct A/F ratio. So unless you're planning on getting a tune in the near future, I wouldn't bother swapping the MAF's.

Thanks, thats what I needed to know.

Factor

Established Member
Well I got my Maf today, and just to let you all know the SCT livewire has a setting for the 90mm Lightning MAF. All I did was swap out the stock Maf with the lightning Maf and then go to my user adjustments in my custom tune and there was a setting for "90mm Lightning MAF".

I don’t know if this means anything but with;
Catted H pipe
Magnaflow catback
Under drive pulleys
JLT Ram air intake/K&N cone filter
Custom tune
I was making 302 hp & 308 tq on my SCT Livewire

Then I added the 90mm Lighting Maf (and tuned for it on my livewire) and I was at 307 hp and 311 tq.

I did those pulls in 3rd gear. I don’t know how close those numbers are to a real dyno but I do feel a difference in the butt dyno also. Not too bad for $50 :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread