'91 5.0, whats wrong with my car?

BoostFiend

Say NO to FUPA!
Established Member
I haven't had time to really look into a problem that I have with my Notch. The other day I was driving home and I noticed a slight squealing sound along with a soft rattle/clank coming from under the hood. When I got home I popped the hood, listened a bit and shut her off. My conclusion was that a pulley was shot. I let her sit for a few days and yesterday decided to check into it a bit more. I went to start the car up and there was a horrible grinding/squealing sound coming from the motor, definately not a pulley. It was so bad I didn't even chance starting the car up. Any thoughts or ideas?

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Does it change with the clutch pedal? If so; go to the throwout bearing.

But drop the belt of for sure and run it momentarily to let yourself know if it's an idler or accessory making the noise.

BoostFiend

Say NO to FUPA!
Established Member
Does it change with the clutch pedal? If so; go to the throwout bearing.

But drop the belt of for sure and run it momentarily to let yourself know if it's an idler or accessory making the noise.

No it doesnt change. It also has a nearly brand new clutch and TOB. Less than 3k miles on it.

youngone

I hate ugly people
Established Member
If the noise still continues after the belt is removed, replace the belt and start poking around with a stethoscope.

garbonzo1991gt

Flying Monkey Commander
Established Member
with the belt off... Have a look at the harmonic balancer. Could be a possible source. Ask me how I know... It knocked a hole in the timing cover as well which means you damn near have to take the whole front of the engine off... Made similar noises to what you're discribing. Any vibration in the engine? Would be pretty significant if it were the case. My second guess would be the TOB. Even if it is new. I've been through a few of those as well.

BoostFiend

Say NO to FUPA!
Established Member
I took the belt off and the noise stoped. The only pullies that have any reistance are the alt and smog pump pulley. Seems as if 1 or both are bad. I was told the smog pump isn't supposed to have any more resistance than the water pump or p/s?

sscobra

Established Member
I will bet that it's your smog pump. I had one totally lock up 3 weeks ago. It made the exact same sound you described(same thought about it being the TOB first). Delete it if you can.

Users who are viewing this thread