91 Octain Gas?

BANDIT HPT

Established Member
I have a buyer for my cobra but he is from up north and he said they only had 91 octain where he is from. Is this gonna cause some trouble for the cobra? I curently have a 2.76 pulley on it and at WOT the timing is around 22 degrees and the a/f is around 11.5. Is this safe enough for him or will he need another tune? The tune is a mail order tune from amazon racing but I've dynoed it a couple times with the wideband and it's always been a little on the rich side.

Will he have any problems with detonation?

1FastFord

Established Member
I would definately get it checked, the timing will probably have to be lowered.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would find out what state the buyer is from because I don't know of any states up north that only have 91 octane fuel. I know California has a lower octane, and I believe Arizona as well. If he indeed only has 91 octane available then it would be wise for him to get a custom tune for that octane. Some timing will have to be removed in the tune. Shouldn't be a biggy. There are quite a few California Cobras here. They're doing fine.

Turbosnake03

Established Member
the buyer is from Kansas City, MO ;-) and yes all we have around here is 91 :cuss: it sucks. hey Bandit take care of my baby till next week.

c-ya
Jason

Miamifan1354

De Chapter of the MACA
Established Member
Delaware, 5 mins outside of MD, and I get 98 at the pumps in MD :beer: and 100 at a pump in PA about 20 mins away :beer: :beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Turbosnake03 said:
the buyer is from Kansas City, MO ;-) and yes all we have around here is 91 :cuss: it sucks. hey Bandit take care of my baby till next week.

c-ya
Jason
Ah. So 91 octane is found in CA, NV and MO? Anywhere else? That's a bummer by the way! Wonder if that will ultimately expand to other states.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
We have that 91 swill in Arizona. It's a result of local EPA regulations. But although I'm stock, I have no issues running it and have never heard detonation...even on a 115 degree day. (although it's a pig then! LOL) I think he'll be just fine. I would just check his tune to be safe and adjust accordingly if necessary. By the way, my car runs just fine on 89 octane at 5000 feet, so octane alone isn't necessarily a determining factor. Altitude can and does have a huge effect. A lot of high altitude places won't even offer anything over 89....that's their premium grade!!

I believe Kansas City is near sea level though.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Man, it does sound like 91 octane might become the standard across the country before long. I never knew so many states put a 91 octane cap on their gas. But it doesn't sound like a big deal if Combatstang is making 505rwhp SAE on 91 octane. It's all in the tune! Nice!

BANDIT HPT

Established Member
I'm not sure how true it is but I heard that octain rating of gas means the octain level is at the very least that. Even if it say 91 it could be higher but not any lower.

Established Member
Marc,
Don't you think 22 deg of timing on 91 oct is kinda pushing it? I have 19 deg. of timing, 91 oct. I don't think 23 deg on 91 oct is a good idea. Definately should get on the dyno and have things checked out.

Users who are viewing this thread