'92 5.0 won't start after changning plug wires

werstlna

Established Member
Hi all, I'm trying to figure out why my '92 5.0 won't start after I just put in new plug wires. I should've started the car first before installing wires to make sure it would run b/c I haven't run it in 10 days. I could re-install all the old wires but I double checked all connections so I don't think new wires would cause this problem. I did a thorough Simple Green and light garden hose cleaning of the engine bay 10 days ago, but I was able to start and drive the car after that so I don't think anything shorted out from water. I had a box fan blowing on the engine bay overnight after cleaning it to make sure everything dried out quickly.

Anyway, I put a charger on the battery today and it read full. When I turn the key I can hear a single click coming from the driver side of the engine bay. I'm assuming this means enough juice is getting to the starter, because it's not a continuous clicking like when you have a low battery. Does this mean the starter is shot or what should I do? Thanks.

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
Plug wires have absolutely NOTHING to do with whether or not the starter kicks over, however, it will have something to do with whether or not the car fires. SO in your case, if your only hearing a click and the starter is not turning over someting else is the culprit. its only a coincidence that it is having the problem after the wire change. Could be a bad solenoid. You also state you hear a click on the drives side. The starter is on the passenger side. Hopefully someone else will chime in

Last edited:

werstlna

Established Member
Plug wires have absolutely NOTHING to do with whether or not the starter kicks over, however, it will have something to do with whether or not the car fires. SO in your case, if your only hearing a click and the starter is not turning over someting else is the culprit. its only a coincidence that it is having the problem after the wire change. Could be a bad solenoid.

I didn't think the plug wires would have anything to do with starting, either, I'm just trying to provide background for better diagnosis from all the shade tree mechanics here.

How can I check if it's a bad solenoid?

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
I didn't think the plug wires would have anything to do with starting, either, I'm just trying to provide background for better diagnosis from all the shade tree mechanics here.

How can I check if it's a bad solenoid?

im not too sure dude. Its mounted on the starter and i think its only like 30 bucks from napa. I never had one go bad becuase i replaced the whole starter unit when i did my build.

Hockeyman48

Established Member
Could be a bad ground connection to motor or a bad starter, one of the two.If the starter hasn't been changed ,I'd say thats your problem.Take one of the cables of your battery jumper cables and connect from negative on battery to a good ground part on engine,bracket,bolt,etc,and see if this helps engine crank.If it didn't help,pull starter and get a rebuilt one to replace it. Good Luck Also check the positive connection on starter for corrosion. I'm assuming you have checked battery with a volt meter, If not ,do so ,as using the clicking noise as a reference to the battery doesn't always work!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread