'92 LX into a "fobra"

03MACH04SVT

MYSTICHROME
Established Member
I am currently thinking of buying a 1992 LX that is bone stock on pony wheels.
I'm not too crazy about the way it looks but i want to get a fox-body stang
for daily driving.
being that i've always liked the '93 cobra i'm thinking of buying the LX and making it look like a cobra.
my question is what exterior pieces (body,lights,etc) would i need to accomplish
this?
thanks in advance.

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
Will probably cost you less in the end to just buy a cobra. Have you checked out prices?

racerbox77

Established Member
Check out Cervini's kit. They sell the whole ground effects kit. Just add tail lights

Last edited:

03MACH04SVT

MYSTICHROME
Established Member
I haven't really looked at prices. how much would a high mileage cobra without a salvage title go for?

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
More than just buying a kit and having it painted. Aftermarket wheels are cheap too.

How can you make that assumption w/o even knowing the price of the car he is considering?

First I would ask what the price is of the car you are considering. Then we can add on the kit, wheels, tires, and paint. In my mind, it is still worth it to buy a Cobra if it is w/in a couple thousand since you are getting the added performance of the Cobra, a real Cobra, and saving a lot of time in not having to do mods to look like a Cobra.

03MACH04SVT

MYSTICHROME
Established Member
the LX that i'm considering costs 3k and its bone stock. it has a straight body and i'm considering painting it teal.
another question, did all 93 cobras come with a moonroof ?
LX's did not come with moonroofs and that would be something else to add to the grand total.

stangbear427

Established Member
Some did, some didn't. So you'd be fine without it, and the headaches that go along with it. Not that I don't love mine, but they are a PITA, and I can't see installing one being worth the money. So we have:

-stock LX: $3000
-GT front bumper cover: $140
-9pc Cervinis Cobra conversion: $1257
-fog lights and bracket kit: $195
-Factory taillight lenses: $170
-Snake badges: $16
-"Cobra" hatch emblem: OOP, market price?
-repro wheel/tire package: $900

So if you can do your own assembly and swing a paint gun, you're looking at a Fobra (on the outside) for about $5700. Given current prices on genuine Cobras in reasonable condition, that's not bad... but there's a lot more to a Cobra than what you see on the outside. I guess it depends on how much farther than that you want to go, and what the labor will cost you if you can't do it yourself.

cobr96

getting old
Established Member
Some did, some didn't. So you'd be fine without it, and the headaches that go along with it. Not that I don't love mine, but they are a PITA, and I can't see installing one being worth the money. So we have:

-stock LX: $3000
-GT front bumper cover: $140
-9pc Cervinis Cobra conversion: $1257
-fog lights and bracket kit: $195
-Factory taillight lenses: $170
-Snake badges: $16
-"Cobra" hatch emblem: OOP, market price?
-repro wheel/tire package: $900

So if you can do your own assembly and swing a paint gun, you're looking at a Fobra (on the outside) for about $5700. Given current prices on genuine Cobras in reasonable condition, that's not bad... but there's a lot more to a Cobra than what you see on the outside. I guess it depends on how much farther than that you want to go, and what the labor will cost you if you can't do it yourself.

+ 3000 or more for a pro. high quality paint job, now your at 8700.00 you can get a nice cobra for 9,000 +

FoxSnk

Established Member
How can you make that assumption w/o even knowing the price of the car he is considering?

You can have a painted kit for < $2500. What are wheels, another $6-700? If you can find a running driving 1993 Cobra for under $3500 that isn't an absolute piece AND that wont require a couple thousand to make somewhat presentable, let me know, cause I want to buy it.

***EDIT**

Oops, nevermind. I thought you already had the LX.

Last edited:

stangbear427

Established Member
+ 3000 or more for a pro. high quality paint job, now your at 8700.00 you can get a nice cobra for 9,000 +

Like I said: if he IS a pro, and plans to do it all himself, he's only in a couple hundred for paint. Otherwise, it's dependent upon who he has to pay and how much. I could have it painted by a pro for $1500 tops. It's all about who you know.

03MACH04SVT

MYSTICHROME
Established Member
yeah i never tried my luck with a paintgun so i would have to pay someone to do most of the work.
thanks for all the advice, i think i will be better off looking for a real cobra.

03MACH04SVT

MYSTICHROME
Established Member
sorry about that, just thought they didn't have moonroofs being that the LX was the most
basic mustang

stangbear427

Established Member
They could be ordered completely stripped of options, but they could also be ordered with everything available but the GT body kit.

Users who are viewing this thread