93 Cobra master cylinder reservoir

cheapertokeephe

Established Member
Can anyone tell me if the 93 Cobra master cylinder reservoir is the same one used on the 87-93 mustang gt's? If not, where can I get one? Thanks.

race495

Established Member
It is not the same as the 87-93 lx or gt. I haven't checked in a while but you used to be able to get a new Bendix (same as stock) for around $90. I have 2 new ones I may let go of.......

svt2205

Established Member
I checked with PPI and Jim says it's the same. Might want to contact the dealer and have them look it up.

race495

Established Member
svt2205 said:
I checked with PPI and Jim says it's the same. Might want to contact the dealer and have them look it up.

He says the 93 cobra MC is the same as the 87-93's? Does he realize that the 93 cobra had rear disc? They are not the same, he 87-93 has a 3 port configuration and the 93 cobra is a 2 port. I have done the swap a few times and there is a difference.

Here is a good link to review. Also, as good as this site is there a tremendous amount of knowledge at corral.net using the search feature.

http://svo73mm.cjb.net/

1BAD93SVT

Established Member
race495 said:
He says the 93 cobra MC is the same as the 87-93's? Does he realize that the 93 cobra had rear disc? They are not the same, he 87-93 has a 3 port configuration and the 93 cobra is a 2 port. I have done the swap a few times and there is a difference.

Here is a good link to review. Also, as good as this site is there a tremendous amount of knowledge at corral.net using the search feature.

http://svo73mm.cjb.net/

he's reffering to the reservior where you put the brake fluid in, not the mc. i think he knows he has rear disc brakes.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
race495 said:
? They are not the same, he 87-93 has a 3 port configuration and the 93 cobra is a 2 port. I have done the swap a few times and there is a difference.

I believe you have that backwards.

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
LEE93COBRA said:
I believe you have that backwards.

The 87-93 fox is a 3 port MC and the 93 Cobra is a 2 port. If you want to determine if the reservior is the same, I would look to see how many tabs the top of each has (where the cap screws on). The difference in ports shouldn't affect it though.

cheapertokeephe

Established Member
I got conflicting info from the dealer and parts store. The dealer wasn't sure......said the parts were obsolete and couldn't get a part # and the parts store said they are the same, but didn't have them in stock (special order). The guy at the dealer said that the mc reservoir should be the same regardless of the mc size (Cobra versus LX or GT). I just wanted someone here to confirm it based upon experience. Thanks.

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
cheapertokeephe said:
I got conflicting info from the dealer and parts store. The dealer wasn't sure......said the parts were obsolete and couldn't get a part # and the parts store said they are the same, but didn't have them in stock (special order). The guy at the dealer said that the mc reservoir should be the same regardless of the mc size (Cobra versus LX or GT). I just wanted someone here to confirm it based upon experience. Thanks.

Sorry, never ran into situation just replacing the reservoir. Anyway you can put them side by side? Also, why are you just replacing the reservoir? Maybe that will help in trying to figure out a solution.

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
cheapertokeephe said:

the parts are obsolete but they can still get the part number

I honestly doubt the resivior is different. All it does is retain the fluid and the number of grooves on the cap as mention above has nothing to with anything

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
BADBOYSPACK said:
the number of grooves on the cap as mention above has nothing to with anything

The reason I said that is because its an easy way to tell if they are even similar, like when searching a junk yard or other ... like the 94-95 cobra is a 3 tab top but may also work in place of the 93 cobra reservoir. I would almost be tempted to get a part number and go on partsvoice.com and do a parts search for it. If all else fails, just get a reservoir for a regular 5.0 and see how it works out. Good luck.

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
the part number for the 93 GT reservoir is #FOTZ-2K478-A $55.96 STILL AVAILIBLE

the part number for the 93 Cobra reservoir is #FOTZ-2K478-A $55.96 STILL AVAILIBLE

the entire assembly number is for the GT is #FOZZ-2140-A $218.98 NO LONGER AVAILIBLE

the entire assembly number is for the Cobra is #F3ZZ-2140-A $235.84 NO LONGER AVAILIBLE

This will solve these problems, and yes it helps to be a tech at a Ford dealer :rockon:

1BAD93SVT

Established Member
BADBOYSPACK said:
the part number for the 93 GT reservoir is #FOTZ-2K478-A $55.96 STILL AVAILIBLE

the part number for the 93 Cobra reservoir is #FOTZ-2K478-A $55.96 STILL AVAILIBLE

the entire assembly number is for the GT is #FOZZ-2140-A $218.98 NO LONGER AVAILIBLE

the entire assembly number is for the Cobra is #F3ZZ-2140-A $235.84 NO LONGER AVAILIBLE

This will solve these problems, and yes it helps to be a tech at a Ford dealer :rockon:

contact steve at ford for 10% over cost parts. his info is in the 2nd generation lightning forum. real good guy. bought some parts already from him

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
I am a tech at a Ford dealer, I can get 10% over cost all day long, those prices are list, thats what we sell to the public for

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
BADBOYSPACK said:
the part number for the 93 GT reservoir is #FOTZ-2K478-A

the part number for the 93 Cobra reservoir is #FOTZ-2K478-A

So, unless I'm missing something (which happens quite a bit), it appears there's no difference between the 93 Gt and Cobra reservoirs. Thanks for posting those part numbers :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread