93 Cobra R question

NVRENUFBOOST

Established Member
I need to ask a question to the 93 R guys. Are the tail light lenses on the 93 R specific to the R or are they 93 cobra, LX or GT lenses? Any ideas where I can get a driver's side tail lense assembly? I need one for my brother asap but don't want to get the wrong one.

thanks in advance for any help

wheelhopper

Established Member
The 93 Cobra had its own lenses. Even though I think they were the same as the 83-86 SVO's.

Try Performance Parts Inc. for the lenses.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
wheelhopper said:
The 93 Cobra had its own lenses. Even though I think they were the same as the 83-86 SVO's.

Try Performance Parts Inc. for the lenses.

Yes, 84-86 SVO and 93R specific.

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Speaking of 93R/SVO taillight lenes, how do they differ from the regular production 1993 Cobra? Is it the dark trim areas on the 93R/SVO lens and the 93 Cobra lens does not have this dark trim?

R

Last edited:

wheelhopper

Established Member
Robert M said:
Speaking of 93R/SVO taillight lenes, how do they differ from the regular production 1993 Cobra? Is it the dark trim areas on the 93R/SVO lens and the 93 Cobra lens does not have this dark trim?

R

Not sure. There is a great shot on Ebay right now of the rear of an 85 SVO. I think it has 5 days left and is black. The picture is very good for distinguishing the tail lights. I thought the lenses were the same on the 93R and 93 Cobra. Also, wasn't an SVO made in 83.

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Robert,

Are you saying the 93R has a different lense than the regular 93 Cobra? Both my R and my street 93 seem to have the same lenses.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
wheelhopper said:
Not sure. There is a great shot on Ebay right now of the rear of an 85 SVO. I think it has 5 days left and is black. The picture is very good for distinguishing the tail lights. I thought the lenses were the same on the 93R and 93 Cobra. Also, wasn't an SVO made in 83.

I have never seen an 83 SVO. The literature I have gives production figures for the 84-86, but not 83. The lenses might be 93 Cobra and Cobra R, and also SVO.

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
93SVTCobra said:
Robert,

Are you saying the 93R has a different lense than the regular 93 Cobra? Both my R and my street 93 seem to have the same lenses.

Mark - I thought I had read this, maybe it is the 93 Cobra in general that shared the SVO lens? and then of course the 93R used the same 93 Cobra lens? The 93 Cobra lens differed from other Fox body Mustangs (except SVO) because of the dark treatment?

R

Last edited:

comprepsvo

Established Member
Ford made the SVO from 1984 until 1986. The lenses on the SVO's and the 93 Cobra's are the same. I have a 86 Comp. Prep sitting in my garage next to my 93 red Cobra, same tail lights.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
comprepsvo said:
Ford made the SVO from 1984 until 1986. The lenses on the SVO's and the 93 Cobra's are the same. I have a 86 Comp. Prep sitting in my garage next to my 93 red Cobra, same tail lights.

Thanks Ben. When I had my 86 Comp. Prep. my 93R was the only 93 Cobra I had for comparision. I knew they were the same.

I found this historical overview for those who are interested, click on "SVO History" on the left side of this home page. It does give a breakdown of the 84-86 SVO and also mentions the SVO tail light lenses being used on the 93 Cobra. It also states that the 84 SVO came out in late 83, but it sounds like it was an 84 model.

http://www.svoca.com/mainframe.html

R

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
The SVO lights are close to the 93 Cobra/R but are not indentical.... the stripes and center bar are grey on the SVO whereas the 93 had dark charcoal stripes and center bar. The original part# were different for the SVO and Cobra. There is also some production differences in the way the stripes were applied so they are different also upon close inspection.

wheelhopper

Established Member
All this info over tail lights is making me crazy.....lets go race, you can check out my tail lights while your behind me.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
cobra186 said:
The SVO lights are close to the 93 Cobra/R but are not indentical.... the stripes and center bar are grey on the SVO whereas the 93 had dark charcoal stripes and center bar. The original part# were different for the SVO and Cobra. There is also some production differences in the way the stripes were applied so they are different also upon close inspection.

Isn't there also a difference in the side marker area?

R

Users who are viewing this thread