93 Cobra Tail lights

93_SVT_FREAK

Established Member
How can I be 100% positive that I have real 93 Cobra tail lights?

I don't want to sell them as a real pair if they aren't real.

Thanks,
Steve

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
If the stripes are painted on they are more than likely real. Most repros have taped stripes over stock 83-86 replacements even though they carry a Ford part #.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I bought some repros on Ebay, and the stripes were painted on.

On the real tail lights, the stripes were painted, but it was more of a stamp or dye, it was real thin, and if looked at closely, had a pattern to it (like a grid).

The ones I purchased were simply masked, and sprayed grey. Looked like it would eventually chip away.

As far as the lens part of it, they looked identical in every way to my NOS ones.

I also have the repros with the taped stripes (I wasn't impressed with the first set with painted stripes, so I sold them and picked up these), and they look pretty decent, but the middle stripe on the bottom continues all the way to the end. I'm going to work on fixing that.

I don't know how else to describe the NOS ones. Asside from how they were striped, they're identical to the repros.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
wouldn't they have a Ford part # on them?

I actually put tape pinstriping over my factory lines years ago because I hated the painted look of the OEM

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
All 3 set's had the exact same #'s on them. When they say "made from original Ford tooling", they're not kidding.

Asside from the stripes, there is absolutely no difference between my NOS, and the repros.

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
I wish I saw the replicas you had bought. I purchased a set of repros off ebay and they are the taped kind. They dont look bad but the color is slightly lighter than the factory gray. I actually would like to get the 84 SVO style because they are black, even though they are not totally original.

The worst part was that my original ones were not that bad and I cracked both of them removing them. That goes in my bloops and blunders list!

ninee3cobra

#2088 Snake
Established Member
93_SVT_FREAK said:
How can I be 100% positive that I have real 93 Cobra tail lights?

I don't want to sell them as a real pair if they aren't real.

Thanks,
Steve

have pics? how much are you selling for?

93_SVT_FREAK

Established Member
Here's the numbers off of the lenses

SAE 2(CIRCLED) AI2(CIRCLED) P2RST-83 MG FORD LOGO (CIRCLED)

So there is no 100% way to tell?:shrug:

buddha93

Established Member
That is what is molded into the originals too. There's not date stamp anywhere on these lenses that I'm aware of.......the last 2 digits of the year in a circle with a a line pointing to a number 1-12 indicating the month. If they're using the original molds, then they should be exactly the same.

I haven't seen the lastest repros with the painted on stripes, so I don't know how the compare to the oringinals. I have a NOS set, and I know they are originals on 2 counts.

1. I bought them well before the repros came out.
2. They're in the original Ford boxes!

ninee3cobra

#2088 Snake
Established Member
buddha93 said:
That is what is molded into the originals too. There's not date stamp anywhere on these lenses that I'm aware of.......the last 2 digits of the year in a circle with a a line pointing to a number 1-12 indicating the month. If they're using the original molds, then they should be exactly the same.

I haven't seen the lastest repros with the painted on stripes, so I don't know how the compare to the oringinals. I have a NOS set, and I know they are originals on 2 counts.

1. I bought them well before the repros came out.
2. They're in the original Ford boxes!

are they for sale?

Users who are viewing this thread