93 Cobras w/ Baer 5-lug

JimJr

I Like Curves
Established Member
Anyone here made this conversion? I'm about to buy the 13" front 12" rear kit and use junkyard 95-V6 spindles/hubs. I know 93 Cobras can use the stock booster and I assume we can use the stock Master Cylinder. What MC did you use (stock or Baer)? At Baer’s site they says "includes Baer master cylinder sized to perform at optimum level with original booster", but I called the Baer Tech line last week and he told me the kit doesn't come with a new Baer MC?!?! Did your kit even come with one? Were there any surprises while installing this kit? TIA!

Liv4Spd

Established Member
On our cars we already have a larger master cylinder, hence the kit not coming with one. BTW, once you get these things installed, your going too wonder how in the he!! you ever lived without them. They're great!:bowdown: Baer

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
When running the front kit only you don't have to change any other brake components. Its when you add the rear kit that you have to change out the proportioning valve and mc.

I have the 4-lug 13" front kit on my car and it is definetly more than enough brake for the street.

Richard get with MarkW on scoa. I went through his company and got my setup.

-Lee

Liv4Spd

Established Member
Originally posted by LEE93COBRA
I have the 4-lug 13" front kit on my car and it is definetly more than enough brake for the street.

Ditto, I just upgraded my rear pads and rotors, while I was at it painted the rear calipers to match the front. She stops like a champ now;-)

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Originally posted by Liv4Spd
Ditto, I just upgraded my rear pads and rotors, while I was at it painted the rear calipers to match the front. She stops like a champ now;-)

Yep the reason I did not do the rears is because they are overkill for street driving. However, the baer calipers would look cool on the back.

JimJr

I Like Curves
Established Member
Well, I ordered my kit today and the best price I found was from Mark W @ http://www.on-trackperformance.com/ I'd call or email them for updated prices. They also honor SCOA discounts. :coolman: The kit comes with every thing but spindles/hubs, MC (use stock 93 Cobra), and spacers for the balljoints. There is a 3-4 week backlog though.

Last edited:

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Originally posted by JimJr
Well, I ordered my kit today and the best price I found was from Mark W @ http://www.on-trackperformance.com/ I'd call or email them for updated prices. They also honor SCOA discounts. :coolman: The kit comes with every thing but spindles/hubs, MC (use stock 93 Cobra), and spacers for the balljoints. There is a 3-4 week backlog though.

:dw:
Mine came with spindles and hubs. I thought it had to because it changes over to sn95 spindles. (even though its 4-lug)

Last edited:

Liv4Spd

Established Member
Originally posted by LEE93COBRA
:dw:
Mine came with spindles and hubs. I thought it had to because it changes over to sn95 spindles.

Ditto:eek:

JimJr

I Like Curves
Established Member
Baer offers many options to their brake kits. One option is to delete their spindle/hub (It is about a $300 deduct in price) and purchace 94-95 spindle/hubs on your own. I bought mine for $100, that saves me about $200 right there.

JimJr

I Like Curves
Established Member
Well, I finished the conversion and thought I would give an update.

The only issues I had with the kit is,
1) It came with a MC. :shrug: Made a few extra bucks.
2) The new rear steel braided brake lines did not have the correct sized fitting to screw onto the stock rear hard lines. I ended up having to buy new hard lines with the correct fittings and bend them to shape. Only about $14 and over an hour delay.
3) The e-brake does not really work. It will grab when the brakes are warm, but when they cool you can push the car and it will want to roll. The kit came with new e-brake cables that are not adjustable like the stock cables. Baer said to give it a couple months and if it still doesn't work I will have to send them my e-brake handle and they will modify it to work for free.

Over all I lost 16 lbs in unsprung weight with this kit. 10 lbs in wheels (2.5 lbs each, stock wheels weigh 24.5 lbs), 3 lbs front brakes, and 3 lbs rear brakes. I'm sure I lost a little rear wheel power with the larger rear rotors, but the new stopping power more than makes up for that. These brakes are incredible when you get them warm! Before, I could lock up the brakes pretty easily. Now, when I was bedding the pads/rotors the tires wanted to break loose before the brakes would lock up. :thumbsup: Tires are definitely the weak link now.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Anyone here made this conversion? I'm about to buy the 13" front 12" rear kit and use junkyard 95-V6 spindles/hubs.
One option is to delete their spindle/hub (It is about a $300 deduct in price) and purchace 94-95 spindle/hubs on your own. I bought mine for $100, that saves me about $200 right there.

Jim: Congats on the new brake system. I did the exact same thing you did on my '91. Like people mentioned, Baer is get to deal with and have many options for their kits--which are VERY complete. I didn't have any issues with mine, but the '93 Cobra is different. The options I quoted above are definitely woth it if you want 5-lug--just make sure you have '94-95 spindles NOT '96-98. The '94-95 will keep the front width stock (for a reg. 5.0 not Cobra), making wheel choices/fit easier. Once you get them broken in, you'll have a huge smile the first time you stand on them.
-James
ps--I know some company is making '93 replicas in 5-lug and slightly wider. Could be a good way for Cobra owners to upgrade and keep the factory look.

JimJr

I Like Curves
Established Member
Though I'd post up the finished product. These wheels were not my first choice, more like my fifth, but I had to cut money somewhere. The car looks better than I though it would.
93COBRA-5LUG2sm.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread