93/E-85 tuning

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
So I put parts on yesterday, installed an
SCT MAF BA2600
60lb injectors and
threw in some new plugs.

The car is getting retuned tomorrow. I am getting my 93 octane tune redone to make sure everything is on target and safe, then the gasoline will be drained by the shop and some E-85 will be put in and it will be tuned for that as well, with a flip switch installed to switch between the tunes.

My fuel system consists of stock pumps, KB BAP and the 60lb injectors now.
The Fuel Pump duty cycle was only at 60% duty cycle when it was tuned a few months ago so hopefully it doesn't run out of fuel for the E85.

Now that my information/situation is here, I would like for anyone to chime in with their knowledge or anything I may be missing. I am very particular with how things are done and always make sure they are right.
Is there anything I should ask or tell the shop/tuner specifically?
I read as much as I can that is related to my car and all on here probably 5 nights a week.
I have an SCT chip, no programmer so everything will be run off of the chip. I had these parts and finally decided to put them on. This is the most cost efficient way I could figure to do it for now. Fill me in with any questions comments or just say shutup!

Thanks guys.

Joe

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
So I put parts on yesterday, installed an
SCT MAF BA2600
60lb injectors and
threw in some new plugs.
What plugs are you running?

The car is getting retuned tomorrow. I am getting my 93 octane tune redone to make sure everything is on target and safe, then the gasoline will be drained by the shop and some E-85 will be put in and it will be tuned for that as well, with a flip switch installed to switch between the tunes.
Great way to do it. Makes switching tunes super easy.

My fuel system consists of stock pumps, KB BAP and the 60lb injectors now.
The Fuel Pump duty cycle was only at 60% duty cycle when it was tuned a few months ago so hopefully it doesn't run out of fuel for the E85.
If your duty cycle was only 60% then you should be just fine on E85. Just make sure the BAP is set to 50.

Now that my information/situation is here, I would like for anyone to chime in with their knowledge or anything I may be missing. I am very particular with how things are done and always make sure they are right.
Is there anything I should ask or tell the shop/tuner specifically?
Tell them not to be afraid with timing. You will not find the threshold of E85 as far as timing is concerned. Just add timing until it stops making power. I like to tune for 11.7 A/F on a gasoline scale. With an Eaton car I can easily see 25* timing as safe. Also have them add 20% fuel to the "Crank Lamda" in the tune for easier starts. They can also extend the time for the O2 heater as well. These help with the starting on E85.

I read as much as I can that is related to my car and all on here probably 5 nights a week.
I have an SCT chip, no programmer so everything will be run off of the chip. I had these parts and finally decided to put them on. This is the most cost efficient way I could figure to do it for now. Fill me in with any questions comments or just say shutup!

Thanks guys.

Joe
Sounds like you will be fine.

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
What plugs are you running?
NGK TR6... not sure which model. I bought them a few months back I forgot, I think just the coppers but am not sure.

Great way to do it. Makes switching tunes super easy.

If your duty cycle was only 60% then you should be just fine on E85. Just make sure the BAP is set to 50.

Tell them not to be afraid with timing. You will not find the threshold of E85 as far as timing is concerned. Just add timing until it stops making power. I like to tune for 11.7 A/F on a gasoline scale. With an Eaton car I can easily see 25* timing as safe. Also have them add 20% fuel to the "Crank Lamda" in the tune for easier starts. They can also extend the time for the O2 heater as well. These help with the starting on E85.

Alright, I will write this down and tell the tuner.

Sounds like you will be fine.

Thanks Kevin.

I haven't seen results of anyone else running E-85 on an eaton. I wonder what to expect?
2.76 upper stock lower Longtubes and full bassani. Also stage 4 ported Steigmeier.

Last edited:

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
subscribing.... Also interested in E85 on eaton.....

The initial tune should be on and done tomorrow so if everything goes as planned I will return back with results on how everything went and some numbers. I am not in it for the numbers or looking to be a dyno champ, I would like to see what kind of gains are in this fuel on the stock supercharger though.

:beer:

GodStang

Established Member
There has been a few Eaton's running E85.

"This morning I managed to squeeze 546 RWHP SAE out of a 162,000 mile stock motor with a ported eaton with pulleys and a catback!

The last time I posted we were out of pump, but the car was not going lean, because the injectors (80s) were large enough to compensate for the dropping pressure.

We installed Ford GT pumps and a modified FPDM (Thanks Lethal) and now the duty cycle on the pumps is 82% at peak. The car also has a BAP.

So for those of you looking at E85 conversion, you know what setup works for the conversion. As you can see, it takes a LOT of fuel pump and injector to make it work, but the benefits are worth it. " -Brooks Speed

Can't wait to see your numbers!!

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
Let us know how you do! I'm especially anxious for my old car, btw Pur is tuning it? Lately I've heard some good things about them, Ben tuned LOSS4U's single turbo car on e85 and made some amazing numbers, I'm probably going to Ben once I get my shit together for a fuel system + maybe e85.

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
There has been a few Eaton's running E85.

"This morning I managed to squeeze 546 RWHP SAE out of a 162,000 mile stock motor with a ported eaton with pulleys and a catback!

The last time I posted we were out of pump, but the car was not going lean, because the injectors (80s) were large enough to compensate for the dropping pressure.

We installed Ford GT pumps and a modified FPDM (Thanks Lethal) and now the duty cycle on the pumps is 82% at peak. The car also has a BAP.

So for those of you looking at E85 conversion, you know what setup works for the conversion. As you can see, it takes a LOT of fuel pump and injector to make it work, but the benefits are worth it. " -Brooks Speed

Can't wait to see your numbers!!
Those are some nice numbers! Thanks for the piece of the article Godstang :rockon:

Thanks, me too. I hope the tuner doesn't hold back anything, I want some power and hope the eaton likes the taste!!

Let us know how you do! I'm especially anxious for my old car, btw Pur is tuning it? Lately I've heard some good things about them, Ben tuned LOSS4U's single turbo car on e85 and made some amazing numbers, I'm probably going to Ben once I get my shit together for a fuel system + maybe e85.

Yes Pur is tuning it, I should have results tomorrow. It didn't get done today. Had some issues to work out. Hoping for better luck tomorrow. Ben is a good dude. Shoot me a text or call if you'd like Vlad. The car ran great with the old 93 tune but last time I had it tuned on the dyno it ran out of air so I went with a new MAF. It should be fun to feel what the combo was actually capable of on just 93 octane and then see what this E-85 is all about.
I will report back and let you know how it turns out.
I'm as anxious as you are. Yeah don't be scared, its only money! HAHAHA :beer:

Here the only ported Eaton car I have seen with any results.

Highest HP Ported Eaton Number?

Made more with the E85 Eaton Car

Thanks sleeper. Nice articles, I going to read them again and just keep thinking about what mine will do and how it will feel. Out with the fuel and in with the horsies and torqies.

Jumping on board
Woohoo. Another follower? OR another E-85 useR?

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
Well I have the stage 4 steggy port on my eaton and on E-85 it put down 503 to the tires with the spark plugs gapped too wide and blowing out in the higher rpms.

I need to regap the plugs then the tuner said he would run it on the dyno again for free to see what he could get out of it.
This was on E-85 at only 19 degrees of timing.
503rwhp
481rwtq
There is definitely more left in it from what I can see just looking at the graph. I thought about doing a 2 or 4lb lower pulley but am not sure at the moment.
The plugs are gapped at 32 1/1000's but I was told to tighten them down to 25

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
Gap those plugs down and turn that timing up!

That is in order.
I will be doing the plugs this week. I need a bigger garage and more tools so I don't have to go to a friends or dad's house to do it.
My tuner said he will get into the low 20's with the timing when I bring it back.
I could tell the difference in power, since the last tune I gained 55rwhp which was nice. Always want more though.
Thanks for everyones help and comments.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
That is in order.
I will be doing the plugs this week. I need a bigger garage and more tools so I don't have to go to a friends or dad's house to do it.
My tuner said he will get into the low 20's with the timing when I bring it back.
I could tell the difference in power, since the last tune I gained 55rwhp which was nice. Always want more though.
Thanks for everyones help and comments.
I would run 24* total and see what that feels like. As long as it keeps making power keep adding timing. It won't even touch detonation with E85 so don't worry there. I have run 24* with my Whipple @ 21 psi to give you an example. Don't be afraid of timing. That is where you can gain a lot with E85.

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
I would run 24* total and see what that feels like. As long as it keeps making power keep adding timing. It won't even touch detonation with E85 so don't worry there. I have run 24* with my Whipple @ 21 psi to give you an example. Don't be afraid of timing. That is where you can gain a lot with E85.

I will try to convince the tuner to up the timing for sure.
Runs fairly well as it is for now.
Is there a formula for how much 1 degree of timing equals....?
As in 1 degree of timing would give you a minimum of 3 horsepower? Or some other variable

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread