93 R Front Suspension Question

1993 Mustang

Established Member
Hello everyone, need some information. This is for a 93 R owner. I have the book named-The Official Ford Mustang 5.0 Technical Reference & Performance Handbook 79-93 and there is a whole chapter on the 93 R. The info states that this vehicle came with 94 parts-spindles, 5 lug setup, 94 control arms, a 94 rack and pinion and Ford Taurus tie rod ends. My question is would a 94 rack and pinion fit on a 87-93 k -member with no problems. Also, the book states that the 94 control arms were repositioned more inward to fit on the this car by repositioning the pivot points on the k member. And does anyone know what year Ford Taurus tie rods were used on that car? Thanks.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Don't believe everything you read in that "handbook"

The 94 R&P won't even work in a fox body... the rag joint mounting is totally different from a fox body. The control arms are fox body. The k-member is a stock fox body.

1993 Mustang

Established Member
So, then the 93 R's came with the standard fox front control arms, no 94 rack and pinion and regular tie rod ends, no Ford Taurus tie rods. Also, no repositioning of the pivot bolts on the k-member to fit the SN95 front control arms.

grape

Established Member
i've measured about 30 k members from '87-93 4 bangers to my 93 R and there is absolutely no difference in pickup points when measured on my set up plate.

1993 Mustang

Established Member
So, did the 93 R come with SN95 front control arms or the regular fox body front control arms? Also, did 93-R's come with a SN95 rack and pinion or the fox body rack and did the vehicle have Ford Taurus tie rod ends? Can someone answer. Thanks.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
If you look at my post you have your answer.... I currently own 2 93Rs & have first hand experience with them.

jimbbski

Established Member
I owned #58 93R for 11 years and it did come with Taurus tie rod ends or ones that looked almost the same. I do know that the tie rods ends were different then a standard Fox Mustang. I owned both a 92 Fox and a 95 Taurus at the same time so I could compare. Also my Fox Mustang tie rod ends were SAE thread and the 93R come with metric threads. They would not interchange.

UPRMike

Suspension Geek
If you are looking for info on how to install a 94-04 rack on a Fox body, talk to Maximum Motorsports. They sell a conversion steering column coupler (to address the issue that cobra186 commented on), and a bumpsteer kit designed for that exact purpose. Their bumpsteer (tierod) kit would also allow the use of 94-04 control arms if you wanted to go all the way on the changeover.

And the Taurus tierod ends would also work with that rack instead of a bumpsteer kit if you wanted a more "stock" setup. Start with post #56 of this thread for more detailed info on the changeover
M2300K kit (and more!!) is finally going in... - Page 2 - Corner-Carvers Forums

Users who are viewing this thread