94-95 AFR 165cc Questions

rustinh1

2 Brothers, 2 Cobras
Established Member
I am going to be doing a 306 rebuild this winter on my 94 Cobra, which is going to stay N/A, maybe a 100 shot down the road, but for now, N/A. I was considering two options for the heads.

1. Stock GT40's, port them, get stiffer springs, and use a Crane 2031 with the factory 1.7 rockers

2. Spend a little more, and get AFR 165cc heads:thumbsup:

I have a few questions though. Obviously the AFR's are going to get more support in this thread, and they will make more power.

But, what cam would be good with them? From what I know, the Crane 2031 is designed for the GT40 Irons with 1.7 rockers. So, it wouldn't be as well-matched for the AFR's, right?

Also, should I get a set of 1.6 rockers to use with the AFR's, or could I keep the 1.7's safely with whatever cam you suggest?

I don't want a ton of driveability issues with the 94 cobra ecm. If you guys could advise me a little on which cam/rockers I should use for AFR's, I would really appreciate it, thanks!

-Blake

94CobraPace

Established Member
You can get the AFR's with pedistal mounts & still use your 1.7 rockers. This will fine if you don't want to rev the car over 6k rpms. Lots of people will say to get stud mount as they are better, and they are at higher rpms, but "IN MY OPINION" the ped mount on a street engine will be fine. This will keep the cost down also. If more racing is in the future, then get the stud mount rockers. The Crane 2031 would be a good choice then also or one of the Aderson cams. What ever you pick, it needs to have a higher lobe seperation angle to work with the picky 94\95 computer.

lxlawWFO

Terminator LOVER!!!
Established Member
Heck you would see a huge increase with the stock cam and AFR's. Just keep the duration down, and watch for P/V clearance.

rustinh1

2 Brothers, 2 Cobras
Established Member
Thanks for the help guys!
So I think I will stick with the 2031, and my 1.7 rockers on pedestal mounts, or if I have more cash fall out of the sky I will buy some stud mount 1.7's and get that option on the AFR's. I don't ever take the car over 6k anyway, I usually shift by 5700 or so.

What kind of ET do you guys think I will drop to with a fresh 306, AFR's, Crane 2031, 1.7 rockers, port-matched lower manifold, and all my bolt-ons?
Right now, I am getting 13.90's with 1.95 60'...

fiveo'cobra

Established Member
I believe the trickflow heads are the only ones that will work fine with 1.7's and stock valves without any piston to valve clearance issues. I had to grind small notches in my pistons to clear my scorpion 1.72's i used with my Edelbrocks. You will probably have to do the same.

But back to the main topic. Crane 2031 is a good overall cam. Its mild though. I run the E cam with my combo and it has a 110LSA. Not the best, but it actually didn't have many problems even untuned. All cars react a little differently. Some miss; some hit.

If you're going AFR, the only cam option in my opinion is AFM. Either their B31 or N31 cams are incredible. I wish i had gotten one because i'd be making another 10-15whp over my E cam but i got mine for nearly pocket change so i couldn't refuse that. And you will deff have to port your cobra lower or just get an RPM II intake manifold with those heads/cam combo.

In one of my earlier combos i ran a set of highly ported GT40 irons, E cam, and ported intake. The car felt stout, but doesnt even compare to the aluminum head combo i have now. All depends on how cheap you get the port work done. Personally i'd spend a little more.

With a 306, AFR's, AFM cam, ported intake/aftermarket intake, and a tune you'd be looking at a solid 320whp+. That is a very stout combo.

helluvasnake

Established Member
fiveo'cobra said:
I believe the trickflow heads are the only ones that will work fine with 1.7's and stock valves without any piston to valve clearance issues. I had to grind small notches in my pistons to clear my scorpion 1.72's i used with my Edelbrocks. You will probably have to do the same.

With a 306, AFR's, AFM cam, ported intake/aftermarket intake, and a tune you'd be looking at a solid 320whp+. That is a very stout combo.

I had no piston to valve clearance problems with my afr's and the 1.7 trickflow rr's? But on the statement: "With a 306, AFR's, AFM cam, ported intake/aftermarket intake, and a tune you'd be looking at a solid 320whp+. That is a very stout combo." I agree 100%. Custom cams are much better than off the shelf cams.

rustinh1

2 Brothers, 2 Cobras
Established Member
Well, if I bought a set of 1.6 rockers would the p-to-v clearance be alright?

From what I have read on AFM's website, the B-31 seems great for the 1.6 rockers, but it says they recommend 30 lb injectors and 80mm MAF...Why? I thought I would be ok with 24 lb stockers and the stock MAF. Aren't MAF upgrades over-rated unless you are making a ton of power and outflowing the stock ones capabilities??

I guess an aftermarket intake would be better too, might as well get one of those.

Last edited:

rustinh1

2 Brothers, 2 Cobras
Established Member
Anybody? Will I run into problems with the my stock MAF and 24 lb. injectors?

This is the most up to date list:
306 Rebuild with forged pistons
AFR 165cc heads
Anderson B-31 Cam
1.6 pedestal mount rockers
Comp hardened pushrods
Edelbrock RPM II Intake

WhiteDevil

Pushrod Power
Established Member
rustinh1 said:
Anybody? Will I run into problems with the my stock MAF and 24 lb. injectors?

This is the most up to date list:
306 Rebuild with forged pistons
AFR 165cc heads
Anderson B-31 Cam
1.6 pedestal mount rockers
Comp hardened pushrods
Edelbrock RPM II Intake
I think its a great combo. I ran Edel 1.90/1.60 heads with the 2031 cam and Edel RPM intake on my 302 no PTV clearance problems at all. With the 1.90 valves you should be fine. I dont know much about the Anderson cam though. If you are going to shellout money for new 1.6 rockers i would get stud heads and rockers. They are better all around and easier to set lash on. I have heard great things about the RPM II also, part of me wonders if i should have just sold my RPM and gotten the RPM II instead of getting the RPM ported out for the 347. Also my 302 H/C/I combo made 298rwhp and 326rwtq and ran 12.94@ 107.25

Last edited:

rustinh1

2 Brothers, 2 Cobras
Established Member
Well thanks for the advice, and maybe I will go for the stud mount setup, everyone seems to think thats a good idea for the money. The Anderson cam is expensive, but I think it should be a good one.

Users who are viewing this thread