94 cobra fuel/ignition issue?

falkenzr

Established Member
94 cobra fuel/ignition issue? Update with H pipe question

So my cobra of 7 years left me on the side of the road tonight for the first time..
I was about to get on the freeway and it decided to stall out.
After and insured tow back to the house, and some troubleshooting, I cant get it to fire.

The car has a new battery from last month.
New ignition coil.Accel and Factory replacement from checker auto, bought tonight.
Fuel pump turns on and shot fuel out from the exit side of the fuel filter when turned over.
Checked the spark plug and coil wires.

Still nothing, am I missing something?? any suggestions??
The car turns over quickly but will not fire...

pls pm or post suggestions!! Thanks for reading:beer:

Last edited:

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Possibly the PIP (or stator) located in the distributor. You can try to swap distributors out if you want to avoid replacing the PIP...

...run a search on a few of the popular mustang message boards out there on the 'net (or via Google); someone should have a "how-to" on the procedure for the PIP replacement.

BTW - Are your grounds all OK - no loose connections ? Are the plug wires in the correct order ?

falkenzr

Established Member
Possibly the PIP (or stator) located in the distributor. You can try to swap distributors out if you want to avoid replacing the PIP...

...run a search on a few of the popular mustang message boards out there on the 'net (or via Google); someone should have a "how-to" on the procedure for the PIP replacement.

Sounds good, Ill have to check on that.

BTW - Are your grounds all OK - no loose connections ? Are the plug wires in the correct order ?

Also everything seems fine, never changed wires as far as firing order etc.

After some research most people that have had this problem talk about their car starting after cooling off, mine will not start at all. Looks like Ill have to buy a distributor, or just a PIP or TFI sensor..

Last edited:

95riosnake

Established Member
I am having what sounds to be the exact same problem.

Pulled mine out into the driveway to hang some lights in the garage, it sat there for about 3-4 hours, went to pull it back in and it wouldn't start. I've been troubleshooting for over a month now and haven't gotten it fixed yet.

So far I've done:

New Accel distributor
New TFI Module
New plugs
Checked every wire I can imagine

The car has new wires, new MSD coil, new Walbro 255 fuel pump, new CCRM module, new cap and rotor, new EVERYTHING (the 347 only has about 600 miles on it since I put it in, the only reused part was the alternator).

It just cranks and cranks, every once in a while it'll fire a cylinder, then nothing. Tested the coil and it doesn't arc to the center pole on the dist. cap. Why it isn't getting power is the current mystery.

I'm hoping it's not a computer issue :(

Last edited:

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
^^^ 95riosnake, have you swapped out the distributor or the PIP inside the distributor? Sounds like thats the final step before you swap computers.

95riosnake

Established Member
^^^ 95riosnake, have you swapped out the distributor or the PIP inside the distributor? Sounds like thats the final step before you swap computers.

I already replaced the distributor with an Accel Billitech, no improvement.

I'm gonna try to get someone to come out with a scan tool and see if any codes are being thrown that may help me. I only have time to work on the car on the weekends, so it makes progress slow.

falkenzr

Established Member
Update!!

Thanks again, Got everything going on Wednesday with a new distributor installed!

Just started with voltage check and everything led back to the distributor. Got a new one, dropped it in and it fired right up.

Thanks again!

SVT95

Established Member
I am having what sounds to be the exact same problem.

Pulled mine out into the driveway to hang some lights in the garage, it sat there for about 3-4 hours, went to pull it back in and it wouldn't start. I've been troubleshooting for over a month now and haven't gotten it fixed yet.

So far I've done:

New Accel distributor
New TFI Module
New plugs
Checked every wire I can imagine

The car has new wires, new MSD coil, new Walbro 255 fuel pump, new CCRM module, new cap and rotor, new EVERYTHING (the 347 only has about 600 miles on it since I put it in, the only reused part was the alternator).

It just cranks and cranks, every once in a while it'll fire a cylinder, then nothing. Tested the coil and it doesn't arc to the center pole on the dist. cap. Why it isn't getting power is the current mystery.

I'm hoping it's not a computer issue :(

One thing I would try is to spray some started fluid in the throttle body. If it fires for a few seconds, it's a fuel issue. If it doesn't start then it should be a spark issue.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Thanks again, Got everything going on Wednesday with a new distributor installed!

Just started with voltage check and everything led back to the distributor. Got a new one, dropped it in and it fired right up.

Thanks again!

Glad you sorted it out ! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread