'94 Cobra Running Consistent 15's?! advice?

rustinh1

2 Brothers, 2 Cobras
Established Member
Hey guys, I need some ideas on my '94 Cobra. It has 110k miles on it, UPR Intake, BBK 70mm TB, BBK Alum. U/D Pulley Kit, MSD Blaster Coil, BBK Shorty Headers, BBK o/r H-Pipe, dumped Flowmaster 40's, Steeda Springs, Tokico Shocks/Struts, Caster/Camber Plates, FMS Alum. D/S, and FMS Clutch.

It has crappy 245/50/17s, which I know is part of the problem.

Last night I went to the track and first off, I had terrible 60 ft. times, 2.4 to 2.5 seconds. I was running consistent 15's, slowing as the night wore on. I started with a 15.06 @ 95 mph, and by the fourth run I ended the night with a 15.87 @92 mph.

I know the 60 ft. is killing me, but something else has to be wrong. I think my clutch could be slipping, because once I hit 4k rpm or so the rpms stopping climbing very well at all.

I know my trac-loc is crap, how much is that to re-pack, or is it more worthwhile to buy a better LSD? I need some ideas.

Thanks for any help guys,

Blake

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Yea those 60fts need to come down, for starters i would just a tune up, like clean the MAF, IAC, change spark plugs, possiblye the wires and fuel pump.

If that doesnt do anything, i doubt your clutch is slipping because you are not making insane hp numbers.

Your tracloc could be part of the problem.

When it seemed like my rpms werent climbing after 4k, i cleaned the MAF, IAC, and spark plugs, then it ran like a champ

Labora

Is that a Fobra?
Established Member
Need to get your 60ft. down. If you are cutting a 2.5 60" and instead you cut a 2.0 60 you could knock about 1 second off your ET. For every tenth you go faster in the 60ft. you pick up almost 2 tenths on the big end of a 1/4 mile.

Other then doing a tune up I doubt you have any problems, your MPH is right around where it should be given your listed mods.

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
wow.. do 94 cobras really trap that low? 92 modded? hum.. i didn't know that.
But yeah, like everyone said. learn to launch you car and you'll be in the low 14s without much effort.

pd: not to flame or anything, but how do people get 2.5s+? i mean.. this is the second guy in 2 days? are you guys just dumping the clutch at 5k with street tires?..
If you are just take off the line as if you were on th streets.. nice and easy, once you feel the car roll then gun it.. doubt you have enough power to burn rubber all through 1st that way, and i assure you, your 60s will be 2.3 or less..
Good luck

Labora

Is that a Fobra?
Established Member
jmir018 said:
wow.. do 94 cobras really trap that low? 92 modded? hum.. i didn't know that.
But yeah, like everyone said. learn to launch you car and you'll be in the low 14s without much effort.

pd: not to flame or anything, but how do people get 2.5s+? i mean.. this is the second guy in 2 days? are you guys just dumping the clutch at 5k with street tires?..
If you are just take off the line as if you were on th streets.. nice and easy, once you feel the car roll then gun it.. doubt you have enough power to burn rubber all through 1st that way, and i assure you, your 60s will be 2.3 or less..
Good luck

Well he trapped 95mph which is about right for stock gears, and those mods. He is probably just launching really soft riding the clutch out and rolling out.

cobraboy169

Speed. . . My Anti-Drug
Established Member
gears and stick tires will help out a lot. if you think the clutch is going then you need to take it to a dealership and have them drive it and see what they have to say. If it is slipping and going out then replace it with a stage 1 or 2 clutch so you wont have to worry about it latter on.

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
OK guys, no one caught on to this, so let me do it. He says at 4k the RPMS just quit climbing. If he had a slipping clutch, the RPMS sould shoot up extremly quick, and speedo would move up very gradually if anything at all. Plus, a slipping clutch is very easy to point out. It smells REALLY bad.

Also, just get a set of 275/40 nitto drags and some 3.73's in that beast. ditch those 3.08's.

with the above mods and a good 60 foot (2.0 or better) a low 14 or high 13 second pass isnt too out of the question.

But just for heck of it, clean the MAF, check/change plugs, change wires, clean throttle plate, etc. Dont worry about the IAC if your car idles fine. It has no bearing at all on how fast your car is....

Lastly, If you want, I still have my old 8.8 trac loc assembly w/ 3.27's intalled if you want em. Ill even throw in my old diff cover. 50 plus shipping. This is a much cheaper route than buying new or going aftermarket. Your not making tons of power so you dont need to worry about breaking anything. Plus if you dont want to buy new gears(3.73's), the 3.27's will make your cobra just a touch quicker than it is now. Not much, but a tad.

Good luck

blinelaxd27

Established Member
that seems awfully slow. i have a full bolt on gt40 crate motor with an afm b21 cam and a ported lower intake and am dead even with my buddy's mach1 which traps 106.5... my heads are gt40ys which are hardly better than the gt40 irons so basically i have a cam over his setup and have a hard time believing he traps 14mph lower. something is wrong with the car

94CobraPace

Established Member
I was trapping 98 mph basicly stock at 14.5 in a vert.
With bolt on's I got it down to 13.9 @ 99.
It seems low on the both mph & et, but that could be the tires. Heat does not help on these motors & can slow them down.
How were you launching?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Dang, and I thought I had a bad night at the track last night, Best I could do was 9.80s and lost in the first round.

Get those 60' down and you'll be OK.

Jackie Chan

getin' slizurd on da goos
Established Member
well not knowing your DA doesnt allow me to speculate about the power the car is making. but with those mods, assuming its running in good air, that car is slower than it should be. i have gears over you and i know they are not making me trap 10+mph faster than you.

Last edited:

Black Stang 97

Established Member
i was pulling 2.6 60 footers on my old tires at 100mph and running 14.5....im going to the track again this wednesday but with new rubbers, some nitto nt555r....we'll see how i do...

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Good 60' on street tires just takes practice that's all.

And Midnight, Yes you can drive it if you want to make the trip down here.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
STAMPEDE3 said:
Good 60' on street tires just takes practice that's all.

And Midnight, Yes you can drive it if you want to make the trip down here.

Ehhhh, there's always a catch.

Users who are viewing this thread