'94 Cobra runs 15's all night...

rustinh1

2 Brothers, 2 Cobras
Established Member
Hey guys, I need some ideas on my '94 Cobra. It has 110k miles on it, UPR Intake, BBK 70mm TB, BBK Alum. U/D Pulley Kit, MSD Blaster Coil, BBK Shorty Headers, BBK o/r H-Pipe, dumped Flowmaster 40's, Steeda Springs, Tokico Shocks/Struts, Caster/Camber Plates, FMS Alum. D/S, and FMS Clutch.

It has crappy 245/50/17s, which I know is part of the problem.

Last night I went to the track and first off, I had terrible 60 ft. times, 2.4 to 2.5 seconds. I was running consistent 15's, slowing as the night wore on. I started with a 15.06 @ 95 mph, and by the fourth run I ended the night with a 15.87 @92 mph.

I know the 60 ft. is killing me, but something else has to be wrong. I think my clutch could be slipping, because once I hit 4k rpm or so the rpms stopping climbing very well at all.

I know my trac-loc is crap, how much is that to re-pack, or is it more worthwhile to buy a better LSD? I need some ideas.

Thanks for any help guys,

Blake

blinelaxd27

Established Member
its all in ur 60ft even though ur trap seems low also. i say take it to a dyno and see how much power you put down. i would think u would trap around 100mph with those mods.

experiment626

ALL MOTOR CARS RULE
Established Member
wiped cam

rustinh1 said:
Hey guys, I need some ideas on my '94 Cobra. It has 110k miles on it, UPR Intake, BBK 70mm TB, BBK Alum. U/D Pulley Kit, MSD Blaster Coil, BBK Shorty Headers, BBK o/r H-Pipe, dumped Flowmaster 40's, Steeda Springs, Tokico Shocks/Struts, Caster/Camber Plates, FMS Alum. D/S, and FMS Clutch.

It has crappy 245/50/17s, which I know is part of the problem.

Last night I went to the track and first off, I had terrible 60 ft. times, 2.4 to 2.5 seconds. I was running consistent 15's, slowing as the night wore on. I started with a 15.06 @ 95 mph, and by the fourth run I ended the night with a 15.87 @92 mph.

I know the 60 ft. is killing me, but something else has to be wrong. I think my clutch could be slipping, because once I hit 4k rpm or so the rpms stopping climbing very well at all.

I know my trac-loc is crap, how much is that to re-pack, or is it more worthwhile to buy a better LSD? I need some ideas.

Thanks for any help guys,

Blake

From what you are describing its sounds pretty much like you cam shaft is wiped:shrug:no power after 4000 rpm slower as the night progressed.Or your valve springs have no pressure left in them.With those mods and a healty cam and springs your car should run high 13s or 14s easily.

Chas

Established Member
[QUOTE=rustinh1 once I hit 4k rpm or so the rpms stopping climbing very well at all.

I bet its your fuel pump going bad or your fuel filter is clogged. Thats what my Buick did a few months before it went out. Its starving for fuel in the upper RPMs.

LowNSlowNeon

Established Member
I'd say your main problem is traction.. going from a 2.5 60ft to even a 2.0 60 you'll see a big difference in your times....Get some meatier tires... and get your launching down.

machslammer

Established Member
My buddy who is also on this site also has a 94 cobra. With only a cold air and on the dyno his car made 215rwhp or so, but it was lean bad after 3k. It was 14.7 lean! We replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator, gave it a few turns and dialed it in and gained 15 rwhp and 14 rwtq. His stock one would not even keep up with just a cold air. He ran 8.50 on street tires at 85 with cold air, weld in flows, gutted cats, and a small shot. He was still spinning a little. Might want to check that a/f.

motorcitycobra

Established Member
how long since a tuneup? I agree w/ the fuel pump idea but had a friend of a friend locally who's Fox was running slower than it should. Turned out to be the distributor.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
motorcitycobra said:
how long since a tuneup? I agree w/ the fuel pump idea but had a friend of a friend locally who's Fox was running slower than it should. Turned out to be the distributor.

Probably not a bad idea to check the plugs and wires. I have to +1 the fuel pump/filter suggestion, which seems more likely to me than bad valve springs or camshaft on a 100k car. Unless it was abused badly.

Other things to check for would be a clogged cat, or some intake restriction.

EDIT: Just noticed that the subject said 94 cobra...I had looked at the "car:" section of the avitar and read 97, so obviously the 94 has a dist....

Last edited:

BLKVNM97

Vnmouss
Established Member
blown04vert said:
would think with 95mph trap time, you should be easy mid 14's and with great driving and tires low 14's all day. hmm driver/tires?

i was trappin 96 in my 95 gt and i was running low 14s all day with gears/exhaust..on street tires

TGS2

Dr.Gonzo
Established Member
With those mods that car should run 14.0's all day, maybe 13.80's driving the hell out of the car. Wish I knew what to tell you. Maybe a few dead lifters, or a cracked head and loss of compression? I'd take it to a good speed shop.

03DOHC

Established Member
If I was you I'd worry about getting that 2.5 60' down to something normal, like a 2.1 or better. If you were running a 15 with a 1.7 60' then there would be other places to look. For now get some traction and practice, practice, practice. You'll be mighty surprised how much quicker you will run by simply dropping your 60' time to 2.0 from a 2.5. That 15.0 will turn into a 14.0 just like that.

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
Your 60' needs to come down, IMO thats the biggest thing thats hurting you right now. As for power, start with the basics.. A tune up, fuel filter stuff like that. Also, id compression test your cylinders, to make sure everything is good. You do have alot of miles on that thing.

Users who are viewing this thread