94 Z28 vs SN95 Cobra

Camaroguy22

Slow LT1 Driver
Established Member
Alright i do not know what year it was, it is between a 94-98. It had an svt badge on the back, with vertical tailights, and had a cobra emblem with no grill on the front. We went from several rolls from 60, 80, and 90 and i pulled several car lenghts on him then let off when my speedometer was well pegged. (I have the crappy 115 speedo) Any idea what year specifically this was? I gave the guy a thumbs up but he woudlnt look over at me, then he got off on an exit. It was teal....one of my fav colors:)

joegt38

Established Member
If it was a 96-98 it mighta been a little closer, stock their like 305 crank hp I think. The 94-95 were like 240 crank HP.

joegt38

Established Member
BTW nice kill :beer:

Well with your mods you should still take a 96-98 (stock) but a 94-95 cobra you'll just whup nasty (if both were stock).

Rearpl8tsinsite

QQQQ
Established Member
Nice kill Kev.

My car owns the 94-95 cobra badly but the 96-98's are a bit closer. I still usually get them by a couple of cars unless we run from a roll which it is a dead heat. My car being auto and having 3:73's launches out pretty good but 2nd gear roll's really suck.

Camaroguy22

Slow LT1 Driver
Established Member
Originally posted by Rearpl8tsinsite
Nice kill Kev.

My car owns the 94-95 cobra badly but the 96-98's are a bit closer. I still usually get them by a couple of cars unless we run from a roll which it is a dead heat. My car being auto and having 3:73's launches out pretty good but 2nd gear roll's really suck.

Thanks for the comments guys:beer:

I wanst sure if it was the earlier weaker cobra or not, and i know the 96-98's are strong and very quick from rolls...i do not know how to tell them apart appearance wise. I ran another Cobra that looked like this one but it had exhaust for sure and sounded way better and i ended up with the same results. I know this cobra was stock exhaust wise.... he could have atleast added some flows for some extra rumble :(

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
The part about the Cobra and grille doesn't necessarily make it verifable, because no SVT Cobra, from 93-04, has ever come from the factory with a Cobra in the grille, including the R models.
The other info probably indicates that it was either a 1997 Cobra in Pacific Green or a faked Cobra. With the description you gave, it probably was authentic, but the true teal color was only a color option in 1993 on Cobras. Pacific Green is the only thing that would come even close to teal.

jetblackcobra

Established Member
not trying to talk smack, but when i had my 95GT in vegas with only an off road X, Mac cat back and trickflow intake i was spankin stock and close to stock LT1 cambirds. and i havent been touched by an LT1 in my cobra

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
If it was teal and in the 94-98 body style is was probably fake with a bunch of badges thrown on it. Pacific Green is the closest color to teal as stated earlier. 93's are the only year of teal cobra's and they are a totally different body style...plus there is a small horse in the 93 cobra's grill. From your description it was probably a GT in that sick, putrid greenish teal color in 94/or 95.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Good kill. Like the others were saying, it was most like a 1997 Cobra. Most likely stock or close to it. With your mods you wouldn't have any problem with a stock to minorly modded cobra.

Camaroguy22

Slow LT1 Driver
Established Member
Thanks guys :beer:

Does anybody have any pics of what a Pacific Green Cobra looks like? Or pics of what the teal looks like? I could have had them both mixed up. It didnt look fake to me, everything was placed properly, but what do i know i am an f body nut...thats why i have a ton of questions ;-)

9COBRA5 - I was talking about stock, hell i know a few dodge caravans that arent weak. Nice car btw.

oaklandr8ersfan - Thank you, i have lower control arms and a panhard rod going on soon, i want a nice sounding cam, nothing sounds better - PS even with my mods my car is still ass slow.

jetblackcobra - What you said is kind of hard to belive...my moms 2002 3800 Series V6 camaro can beat a stock 94-95 GT. It just wouldnt make since how you could be beating down on stock or near stock LT1's in the GT you mentioned. I have raced an 96 GT with full exhaust and it was extremely ugly. The early SN95 GT's are turds stock, dont take any offefnse to that statement, LT1s are turds compared to LS1's.....but, i have respect for the 99+ GT's though.

cobrasvtxyz

PoWeR tO wEiGhT!
Established Member
i personally have never ever!!! lost to a lt1 camaro modded or not! but i dont know..... im thinking it might have been a 94-95 cobra or a 96-98 gt with cobra badges?

joegt38

Established Member
Originally posted by Camaroguy22
jetblackcobra - What you said is kind of hard to belive...my moms 2002 3800 Series V6 camaro can beat a stock 94-95 GT. It just wouldnt make since how you could be beating down on stock or near stock LT1's in the GT you mentioned. I have raced an 96 GT with full exhaust and it was extremely ugly. The early SN95 GT's are turds stock, dont take any offefnse to that statement, LT1s are turds compared to LS1's.....but, i have respect for the 99+ GT's though.

I agree w/ Camaroguy22 on this one. When I had my LT1 a few of my friends had 96-98GTs modded & stock, I used to just destroy them and this is comming from a stang guy.

Camaroguy22

Slow LT1 Driver
Established Member
After looking at stang pics online for awhile, the car i raced was pacific green, not teal...the teal is way to blue....i was unaware there was a diference. As for the front grill...the cobra emblem part looked like this car: Edit the pic will not show up, but i found the cobra emblem to replace the mustang emblem in the front grill for 30 bucks lol

Last edited:

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Originally posted by Camaroguy22
LT1s are turds compared to LS1's.....but, i have respect for the 99+ GT's though.

Not really. 4.10's and you'll hang with stock ls-1's off the line up until about 60. Full exhaust and some other bolt ons and you'll probably be beating them in the 1/8. Now the 1/4 mile might take a cam and some headwork.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
I also agree. The biggest part is how you drive it and also a few well chosen mods and the 94-95s can be rather quick...at least competitive especially so with some performance cars of its time. When I had my 95 Cobra I could run (even won a few times) against LT1s...even mostly stock. Everybody seems to take the factory 240hp ratings and compare them to the 275hp of the F-bodies. In fact, the 93 and 94/95 Cobras made more like 255-260hp as they would often dyno around 225 rhwp and from what I remember, I think a lot of the early LT1s were dynoing around 245-250.
Anway, there was this one guy I ran to 125 one evening from a dead stop in a Formula and we ran door handle to door handle nearly all the way and I was mostly stock then. Sometime later, another guy had a 6 speed 95 Corvette that I would run up with every so often. At first he would pull me a bit when I was stock, but not by a large amount. With powershifting 1st and 2nd and having freer-flowing exhaust (long tubes, hi-flows, cat-back) I could run even with him up into third gear with the stock 3.08s. Pretty good I would think against a 300hp LT1.

Camaroguy22

Slow LT1 Driver
Established Member
Originally posted by URDONE
Good kill. How many cars would you say you took him by?

It was kind of hard to judge, i was trying to keep my eye focuses ahead going that fast, he got the jump each time, and in a few seconds i would pass him with some steam...the longer we raced the further he fell back, he did the worst from the 90 roll. I would say 3-4 carlenghts...he didnt stay anywhere as near me as other cobras i have run...but then again he sounded stock, the others ones werent.

Users who are viewing this thread