95 Cobra R intake options?

SDW Racing

Established Member
Have any of you guys with 95 Rs gone to a Cold Air Intake (CAI)?

Just wondering your preferences/gains over the stock unit.

Thanks,

JM

1993R

Established Member
I'm using the moroso on my 93R and reccommend it because is draws out of the wheel well not the motor area. No fan wash or hot air interferring with the flow of air.

StillIntense

Established Member
JM, I went through this about six months ago. I have #86 and when I bought it it had a CAI on it that dead ended in the engine compartment (it doesn't have the factory air inlet tract). Bottom line: I have not found a single company that makes a CAI for a 95R that goes into the fender well. I have purchased 3 and none of them even came close, including a JLT; the problem is the weird curve that the air tract must take to come out of the throttle body, turn hard then down to clear the oil inlet tube and get out to the hole in the fenderwell. If you find one, then I'd love to hear about it.....Mark

SDW Racing

Established Member
JM, I went through this about six months ago. I have #86 and when I bought it it had a CAI on it that dead ended in the engine compartment (it doesn't have the factory air inlet tract). Bottom line: I have not found a single company that makes a CAI for a 95R that goes into the fender well. I have purchased 3 and none of them even came close, including a JLT; the problem is the weird curve that the air tract must take to come out of the throttle body, turn hard then down to clear the oil inlet tube and get out to the hole in the fenderwell. If you find one, then I'd love to hear about it.....Mark

Mark,

Thanks for the feedback! I plan on continuing the search.

SDW Racing

Established Member
Brian G.,

Don't you have a cold air on your 95R? I am thinking maybe Western is the brand from Canada.

Tom

Tom, Brian G.

I contacted Western about the 95R CAI and they sent me the following response:

We have a couple different options you can do for a CAI. Our cold air intakes for 94/95 cars uses the stock rubber tube that runs between the throttle body and the Mass Air Meter. Then it replaces the factory air box with ceramic coated tube that locates the air filter in the fender well. First option is to use our 3.5" Velocity Tubes with your stock Mass Air meter which is $199. To use this CAI i will need you to check the diameter of the Mass Air Meter, where it attaches to the rubber tube to that runs to the throttle body. The second option is to use our 4" Velocity tube with a new PMAS 95mm Mass Air meter which costs $508.52. This set up would flow a larger amount of air and would bolt to the stock rubber tube with no issue's.

Again, just wondering what folks have used and what gains were found, if any.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Tom/Brian,

I'd love some feedback on this if it is true and one is available! Still searching.

Sorry, havn't been on much lately and never saw this post.

I do have a cold air kit, forget the brand, but it has the filter under the hood and not in the fender.

I put the filter on at the same time I put in larger injectors, throttle body, and MAF sensor. The package deffinately improved throttle response, but I didn't dyno before and after to see what the real gains were.

Brian

PS: Wow Tom, I am impressed with your memory. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread