'95 Cobra R rattle in rear

mancharley

Established Member
Seems my stock '95 Cobra R suffers the "rattle in the trunk area" that's mentioned in some of the earliest articles written about these cars when they were first released for the press to drive back in '95. It's eluding me as it did the original owner. It sure doesn't seem like the kind of noise I'd expect from suspension springs without isolating pads and is more of a rattle than a cluck. Thought I'd found it with a brake line up against the floor, but no luck. Much more a rattle than a clunk. Heard that some Mustangs suffered improper (SAE rather than metric or vice versa) bolts in rear trailing arms. Again noise seems lighter than this would make. Any ideas?

Saleenrose

Established Member
My 95r went back to dealer when new to try to find rattle, but was never found and it still is there, 2600 miles. I have a customer friend with a 95r ( he wanted mine but I would not sell it to him ) and we put the Isolators back in, Rattle went away. The noise you are talking about is kind of a creeking rattling noise? His has 24000 miles.

mancharley

Established Member
My R is also low mileage, 5400, and never truly raced. I would say my noise is a pure rattle, pretty light-sounding. So when I found that brake line up against the floor and could rattle it against the floor, I was sure I'd found it. But no. That's the kind of noise it is. Can't say that it's ever had a creaky quality. I'd think that a spring would make a heavier noise, but I have no experience with spring noises so I can't say

Racsirx

Established Member
I have lowered many Mustangs in the past 20 years and never had an extra noise come from not having isolators, the only way I could see a spring make that noise if it was way too short and moves around when the suspension is fully extended. Now I just put 95 Cobra R rear springs in my other Cobra with Griggs Adjustable ride height control arms which I put at the lowest point without isolators so when that Cobra is done and running, I will let you know if that makes noise, but I have had mufflers, tailpipes and driveshaft make a clunk noise, even the rear shock if it wasn't installed tight enough inside the trunk

Last edited:

mancharley

Established Member
Nope, not exhaust hitting anything. Again, it's a very light-sounding metal-on-metal rattle. If you heard it, you'd think it's be easy to find a loose bracket or a metal line up against the body. And for all the world it sounds almost like it's IN the car with you, not even underneath....it's so light and fresh-sounding (if that makes any sense.)

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
For what it's worth, my street "R" has that described noise, also. I always figured it was the springs creaking without insulators. Plus there isn't any sound deadening in the car.
It doesn't bother me. It just adds to the fun of driving it. :rockon: :beer:

Just my $.02 again.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
For what it's worth, my street "R" has that described noise, also. I always figured it was the springs creaking without insulators. Plus there isn't any sound deadening in the car.

I agree with Gene. If mine stopped "rattling", I'd probably pull over to check everything. :-D

My 1995 Cobra R is also known to have engine rattle due to racing piston clearances specified by Ford and Roush in 1995.

If it makes torque in every gear to the red line, it is good. :shrug:

1995Ra.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread