95 L replacing intake manifold gasket

killemall

Established Member
95 L shimmy, and speed odometer going hay wire

what up
i just got back from iraq a couple months ago and started shoping for a 95 L
i finally found one, 1 owner 134,xxx red good looking L i love it
got to replace a gasket, power stearing pump. any one else have a shimmy when you turn the wheel, i replaced the inner bearings and still have it almost lost it going down the road at 48 mph and couldnt go faster. tie rod ends are tight.
and what about the speed odometer going crazy above 80 mph

Last edited:

Soul Rebel

Tryin to get DIESEL!!!
Established Member
killemall said:
is there a place where i can get a how to do book for 1995 L
Nope, chilton's is the best it gets... :rolleyes: unfortunately. most lightning Good Luck :beer:

Edited by L.L. Don't do that. :nono:

Soul Rebel

Tryin to get DIESEL!!!
Established Member
Soul Rebel said:
Nope, chilton's is the best it gets... :rolleyes: unfortunately. most lightning Good Luck :beer:

Edited by L.L. Don't do that. :nono:
My bad, I was just trying to help him out, but I understand nonetheless. :read: To help you out, try looking into a service manual. I heard that you can pick one up, but of course it won't be cheap. Otherwise you can look into a couple of books that I bought dealing with the Windsor engine family. :)

Last edited:

LightningSteed

wheres the dancing girls?
Established Member
killemall said:
what up
i just got back from iraq a couple months ago and started shoping for a 95 L
i finally found one, 1 owner 134,xxx red good looking L i love it
got to replace a gasket, power stearing pump. any one else have a shimmy when you turn the wheel, i replaced the inner bearings and still have it almost lost it going down the road at 48 mph and couldnt go faster. tie rod ends are tight.
and what about the speed odometer going crazy above 80 mph

Hey Killemall,
Best service manuals are the factory ones you have to order them from a company called Helm in Michigan.
http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage.asp?r=
otherwise 2nd choice would be a Chilton Manual, Kragens carrys them about $20.00 I think.
about your shimmy..check the radius arm rubber bushings ( the bars that come back off the I beams and mount to the frame about as far back as the doors are.especially the passanger side tends to fail sooner due to it being next to the exhaust. otherwise you probablly need ball joints. mine had a bad shimmy when you would hit a pothole or on a rough road until I fixed those things. its been sweet ever since.

Last edited:

killemall

Established Member
Thanks,
i got the manifoldgasket, and power steering pump changed. it does seem like the passenger side, i'll check it out. i just put a set of edelbrock ias shocks. rides alot smoother. what are you driving.

LightningSteed

Established Member
killemall said:
Thanks,
i got the manifoldgasket, and power steering pump changed. it does seem like the passenger side, i'll check it out. i just put a set of edelbrock ias shocks. rides alot smoother. what are you driving.

I tried the Edelbrock shocks on the front when I had my shimmy issues
didn't really notice much differance myself ( I think it was just that the Monroe Formula GP shocks that came stock were just a nice shock to begin with even with 96K miles at the time ) I'm running Bilsteins now I installed with my Eibach drop springs & shackles.
this is my ride: http://hometown.aol.com/lightningsteed/
(all pics are of it before I lowered it)

killemall

Established Member
looks sweet, just buying time,
i am prettty much leaving mine alone for about 3 years, its a work truck, then after the old lady gets outa school, make it a doing alot of work to it and making it a weekend driver. thefordsource.com has some pretty decent deals, i just got a tune up kit for 89.00 not bad.

LightningSteed

Established Member
killemall said:
looks sweet, just buying time,
i am prettty much leaving mine alone for about 3 years, its a work truck, then after the old lady gets outa school, make it a doing alot of work to it and making it a weekend driver. thefordsource.com has some pretty decent deals, i just got a tune up kit for 89.00 not bad.

Thank's,
well hopefully your'e not working it too hard I saw one gen 1 Lightning that belonged to a plumbing company once with a pipe rack on it tailgate all smashed in dent right where the front drivers fender meets the door it was sad. I wish I had a camera with me at the time so I could have posted it. I know I couldn't have been the only Lightning guy that would react like I did to it.

killemall

Established Member
not to hard, i am a labor for the brick layers. but any thing i need to move i use the trailor. . i just put a set of rubbers on it . kumho, 275/60 17 on the stock rims. i pretty much have it lined out, anyone else have a problem with the power stearing pump whinning? HATE to hear about the L that is all f'ed up, but at least it is still working. :beer:

Last edited:

03SilverCoupe

Established Member
killemall said:
not to hard, i am a labor for the brick layers. but any thing i need to move i use the trailor. . i just put a set of rubbers on it . kumho, 275/60 17 on the stock rims. i pretty much have it lined out, anyone else have a problem with the power stearing pump whinning? HATE to hear about the L that is all f'ed up, but at least it is still working. :beer:

Hey man dont feel bad, My Gen 1 L was in pretty bad shape. I went through 2 trannies and one rear-end, would have been 2 rears if I hadnt traded it in for a 03 cobra. I also had to replace a lower intake gasket on the truck, but that was with 200k on the clock (dead stock motor except for a few bolt ons). The intrake gasket is a pretty straight forward job, just label all the vacuum lines and make sure you know the correct torque sequence for the lower intake manifold and the upper.

About the wobble, There was a bolt that came loose in the suspension of my truck and created the wobble. Its the bolt that mounts the I-Beam to the A-Frame under the motor. Check that for tightness. I cought hell with mine and finally ended up taking to the dealership and found the bolt to be loose.

Hope this helps,
Dennis

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread