'95 Questions

Ukuleleman

Howzit. got some questions hope you guys can help.
1: Are you able to get a chip for a stock motor? And if posiable, what would you change?
2: Thinking of changing cam one day(looking for a raunchy idle, but good driveability. Cobra is strickly a to enjoy on great days. Only 23,000 miles all mine.
3: Again, if you change the cam, do you get a different chip? And what do you ask for or want?
4: Thinking about 3:73 gears, again, do you have to change the chip?
Thanks for all answers or thoughts, Aloha

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
1: Yes you can get a chip for a stock motor, but it wouldnt be worth it. You would be able to change the a/f ratio, but you wouldnt see much of gain as opposed to a modded motor. Id say get the chip after you do some mods.
3: Its not necessary to get a chip after the cam, but it would sure help a little bit more. But once again, you may want to put as many mods on as possible before gettin the chip. I recommend getting a custom tuned chip to your mods. Whoever burns your chip will know what to do. Just make sure you get the maximum power across the whole RPM range, but keep a safe ratio.
4: You dont need a chip with gears. You could buy a speed-cal. But if you are going to get a chip, then you dont need the speed-cal, the chip will adjust it for you.

Only 23,000 miles? You have much to look forward to! Enjoy it.

Andrew

1 BA SVT

your momma likes it
Established Member
1. chip on a stock motor is a waste.
2. get a comp or a lunati(sp?) cam
3. go 4.10 with gears, everyone will tell you it's to much for a 5.0l cobra but I had them in mine right up til I put the blower on and loved every minute of it.
4. 5.0l cars really don't need the chips like the 4.6l do, even if you s/c it.
5. another good idea is to do the processor swap. get rid of the 94-95 cobra processor and put in an A9L out of a fox car.

1 BA SVT

your momma likes it
Established Member
If you do the processor swap you will have to get the conversion kit from best products. It's an especially good idea if your thinking of doing a cam. The 94-95 cobra processor is real sensative and requires a cam with alot of lobe seperation, whereas with an A9L processor you can run abit more aggressive cam and this processor has a more aggressive a/f and timing curve.

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
What is a good cam for the 95 cobra? I have a B-303 in my garage waiting to be installed, is this a good choice or should i sell it to buy a better one?

1 BA SVT

your momma likes it
Established Member
I've got a B cam in my car right now with 1.7 rockers(which makes it .510 .510 lift) , it makes pretty decent power(mid500@thewheels), but I will say it doesn't idle very well and I think your better off going with a comp cam. If it's a stock car one of their off the shelf cams will do, but you can also have them custom grind you one.

Users who are viewing this thread