95 R Fix Questions

StillIntense

Established Member
Two questions for repairing my 95 R:
1. The steering wheel has about 3-5 degrees of "slack" in it. In other words, the steering turns freely for a few degrees before the wheels turn. How do I fix that slack?
2. What is the Ford part number for the direct replacement for the front brake calipers? They are removed by a dowel pin in the rear of the caliper..

Thanks in advance! Just want to get things right before the next on track session...Mark

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Two questions for repairing my 95 R:
1. The steering wheel has about 3-5 degrees of "slack" in it. In other words, the steering turns freely for a few degrees before the wheels turn. How do I fix that slack?
2. What is the Ford part number for the direct replacement for the front brake calipers? They are removed by a dowel pin in the rear of the caliper..

Thanks in advance! Just want to get things right before the next on track session...Mark

I would guess that possible worn tie rod ends could be a "slack" problem, maybe the rack itself. I am not sure how much free play, if any that there is to start with?

I believe the 95R calipers are regular production items. The Ford part numbers for the "COBRA" lettered calipers are:
F4ZZ2B121A - Left
F4ZZ2B120A - Right

These calipers were discontinued 8/24/2007. They are listed for the 94-98 Cobra application.

The calipers attach to the spindles with 2 bolts each.

R

Last edited:

presvt

Established Member
Also check your steering sector. From inside the engine compartment, look at where it is designed to collapse (sleeves together). Mine had the same slack in the steering wheel and it ended up being at this point where there was actual play. I've also heard that where it mounts to the rack can also be a place to look.

StillIntense

Established Member
Thanks all for the quick response. presvt: when you discovered where the problem was at the collapsible sleeve area near the fire wall, were you able to fix it? Robert, thanks for the part numbers, looks to me like they are Ford Racing part number M-2320-C for the pair; should still be available.

presvt

Established Member
no, mine was too far gone. Looked like the previous owner tried to crimp it together :shrug: I ended up replacing it with a MM one. Someone else can chime in, but I think the original is standard Ford issue (not specific to the R) so might be available yet if you wanted to replace it with a stock one. It's pretty easy to replace.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
no, mine was too far gone. Looked like the previous owner tried to crimp it together :shrug: I ended up replacing it with a MM one. Someone else can chime in, but I think the original is standard Ford issue (not specific to the R) so might be available yet if you wanted to replace it with a stock one. It's pretty easy to replace.

Yep. Normal FoMoCo.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread