95 R head gasket leak

Ron 1995 R

Established Member
Anyone else wind up with using the slightest bit of coolant that drys out the temp sending unit pegging the coolant temp gauge (but not overheating the car?). I could drive a couple tanks of fuel prior to actually having the problem

Now that I have the car torn down I can see where the coolant was seeping from the head into the camshaft lifter galley due to a loose head bolt (I mean loose, didnt take any effort to break to remove the top center on passenger side, the others were tight..quality was Job 2 on that day)

1. I'm going to pull the heads and replace with GT-40x aluminum and a cam which mimics the factory original (see post below). I have a set of M-6565-L58 pushrods 7.567" long that I believe ford racing uses on the 351 and 392 engines using the X heads and roller cams.

2. Camshafts (decided on 35-351-8 XE270HR by Comp Cams due to valve event similarities with factory cam specs with additional lift to flow the GT40x heads).

3. Air and Fuel System: Confirmed the factory fuel pump is 155lph. I know there are 24#/hr injectors. They should be good for 340-360hp with a BSFC of .047 to .050. with injectors at 87.5%+/- capacity.

4. Performance tuning: 2nd Street Speed in Quakertown PA

Ron

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Anyone else wind up with using the slightest bit of coolant that drys out the temp sending unit pegging the coolant temp gauge (but not overheating the car?). I could drive a couple tanks of fuel prior to actually having the problem

Pics attached.

Now that I have the car torn down I can see where the coolant was seeping from the head into the camshaft lifter galley.

1. I'm going to pull the heads and replace with GT-40x aluminum and a hotter cam. Concerned over going too much lift I'm looking at the Ford Racing B-cam with the 1.7 roller rockers making .512" lift. Anyone know what pushrods to use or a recommended pushrod length to start at for a baseline? I have a set of M-6565-L58 pushrods 7.567" long that I believe ford racing uses on the 351 and 392 engines using the X heads and roller cams.

2. Camshafts. Like I stated. B-cam is my base selection (e-cam if someone knows better). I like low end torque with a 5500rpm top (not a top speed freak). But I've also been considering the Comp Cams 35-324-8
( COMP Cams 35-324-8 - COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Camshafts - Overview - SummitRacing.com ) ...am open to other folks suggestions; I'd consider the STeeda 19 cam if I could find one
( Steeda #19 Camshaft - '85-'95 Ford Mustang )

3. Air and Fuel System: What fuel pump is in these cars? (160lph?) I know there are 24#/hr injectors. Has anyone upgraded their fuel and air system to 30#/hr and large Mass air meter? Some links and recommendations would be a help (I suspect the cam and head change is going to put me in the 375hp range)

4. Performance tuning: Know of anyone in the Eastern/Central Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Deleware, Eastern/Central Maryland areas who is successful at performance tuning these cars?

Apologies for so many questions...probably should have broken it up into separate threads.

Ron

I would contact Ford Racing on the pushrod length, but I believe you have the correct pushrods. They were discontinued a year or so back.

These computers are picky. The E cam was designed with emissions in mind. I would be tempted to go that route so you don't have driveability issues.

Unless, you can find a tuner that is confident he can get the B cam to run correctly.

190 pump with 24 lb injectors. Both of these are all you need unless you just want to spend money.

Tom

9secondlx

Established Member
you can call comp cams and they can custom build you a nice cam.

give them all your cars information. if you want it to pass emissions tell them and they will build something to max it out and still pass emissions.

for my 1990 mustang I built a 306 with, tfs heads, vortech blower and a comp custom cam that they built to be emission legal and it did a little less than 600hp at the rear wheels. passed emissions with flying colors...:banana:

once emission laws changed in mass for 95 and older cars i built a boss based 331 with custom comp non emission cam. i landed up selling it to by my 1995R.

Ruslow

Established Member
In my R I ran an x303 cam and TW heads 90mm MAF,and 36# injectors.mine made 35x at the wheels with good drivablity.BUT I also tuned it myself.I use a j4j1 computer since I do not want anything bad to happen to the oem one. MAF of 90mm is overkill on a 351 but I am now 408 so it will work out nice.My volts at 5800 w/90mm was rite at 4.3v[351] so unless you are going bigger you should be fine with stock since the resolution will be better and easier to tune w/drivablity in mind.

If you do not plan on tuning then you are going to be close to stock centerline and duration since the 'rumble' will make for low vac and cause drivablity problems.And NO injectors.Computer just know what was programed on injectors and has no way to cut that amount of fuel off to even get close to stoch. efficency. STan

Ron 1995 R

Established Member
These computers are picky.

Tom,

a1. Are the computers in the 1995 R just as picky at the standard 1994/1995 cobra?

a2. Anyone have the 1995 R computer code?

I do have a tuner with whom I am speaking to as well.

Ron

Ron 1995 R

Established Member
you can call comp cams and they can custom build you a nice cam.

Comp cams recommended 35-351-8 (114) with 1.7:1 rockers (.544" lift):
COMP Cams 35-351-8 - COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Camshafts - Overview - SummitRacing.com
...they noted the 114lsa has better mid range torque (which I like)

Crower is recommending 15511(lsa114) with 1.7 rockers (lift varies:
Search Results for crower 15511 - SummitRacing.com

These cams are very similar

Thank you all for the time and interest.

Ron.

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Tom,

a1. Are the computers in the 1995 R just as picky at the standard 1994/1995 cobra?

a2. Anyone have the 1995 R computer code?

I do have a tuner with whom I am speaking to as well.

Ron

Ron,

I do not have any direct experience with a stock 95R computer and an aftermarket cam.

Gene Boc I am sure can add his comments.

I am running a Roush tune and a Z cam. My car does hunt at idle at times.

My comments are based on the EEC programming in other 94-5 5.0s including the Cobra. I would expect the same in our R.

Tom

Ron 1995 R

Established Member
how far are you from nj. i think larocca's is one of the biggest that way for tuning.

Not far, I can be in NYC in 2-hours, Atlantic City in 3 and shore points in between in reasonable time.

Is Larocca's back in business? ...couldn't find a weblink
(but this one - LaRocca's is Done - SVT Snake.com Forums)

...decided to use 2nd Street Speed in Quakertown, PA

Last edited:

9secondlx

Established Member
i didnt realise he went out of business... its been a while since i built a mustang that needed tuning. i know there is a few places in ct and dez racing around here. but that might be to far...

www.DMC Racing.com

Last edited:

Ron 1995 R

Established Member
If you do not plan on tuning then you are going to be close to stock centerline and duration since the 'rumble' will make for low vac and cause drivablity problems.And NO injectors.Computer just know what was programed on injectors and has no way to cut that amount of fuel off to even get close to stoch. efficency. STan

Took your advise. Matched valve events (as closely as possible) and went for more lift.

Thanks a bunch.

Ron.

Users who are viewing this thread