'95 R Oil Change Quetsions

mancharley

Established Member
So....how is one to do a proper oil change when the oil cooler hoses both go into the top of the cooler? Am I supposed to get the cooler out and turn it up on end? And is it common for the hose adaptor on the block to come loose when one removed the oil filter?
Thanks in advance for all your experiences.
Ben

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I am not aware of anyone bothering with the oil in the cooler. In effect, you are doing a partial oil change with what is in the motor sump.

The adapter on the block should stay tight. The long stud that the filter screws onto also screws into the block to hold the adapter in place. You need to tighten the stud so it keeps the adapter in place. Also, the oil filter may be have been over tightened in the past causing the stud to come loose.

Tom

mancharley

Established Member
Thanks, Tom. That's what I suspected on both counts. Since this is my first oil change since I got the car from the original owner a year ago, I may go to the trouble of pulling the cooler and flushing it. It looks like not such a big deal if you pull it with the hoses.
Thanks again,
Ben
'95 R #29

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
If you feel that strongly about it, change the sump like Tom said, and then change it again in 1000 miles. I would rather do this than remove the cooler and take a chance on bending fins, or damaging the cooler, etc.

Just my $.02

Gene Boc.

mancharley

Established Member
Another option, what I finally decided to do: take the lines loose at the adaptor on the block and blow compressed air through the cooler. That got out what I'd guess was another 1/2-3/4 qt.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Be careful doing that. The oil cooler has small fins that agitate the flow of oil so it gets more contact with the surface of the tubes. Too much pressure could possible damage a fin.

That is why engine rebuilders familiar with these cars always change the oil cooler when a motor blows up. They catch debris in them.

Tom

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd keep it simple and change the oil as noted. There is always extra oil that you can't flush out.

I once got worried about power steering fluid. That was a waste of time and effort in the garage. Now I just refresh it when I feel like it.

mancharley

Established Member
Thanks for this, Tom. I'll be more careful with the pressure. Hopefully I haven't damaged any fins too much with this first go-around. That having been said, if all I did was reduce the efficiency of the cooler a bit, I think it's not a problem for me since I'm not racing. In fact I was surprised how NOT very hot my oil was when I went to change it after what would have been a good oil-warming run in my other cars.

brianz426

Established Member
Maybe a little late with my comment.
I'm with Tom and Doc on this. I tend to change my oil often enough that I have never worried about what's in the cooler. If you are concerned about the oil the previous owner had in it I would change it, drive 500-1,000 miles and change again.

Users who are viewing this thread