95R - Did Ford just over look this? - Bumpsteer

n2fords2003

Established Member
This is as bad as any car Ive owned.. I do MM bumpsteer kits on everything because its needed. This is a complete factory stock 95 R. Not only does it look bad but I can tell driving as well. This car NEEDS a bumpsteer kit, does it not?

IMAG1337.jpg

n2fords2003

Established Member
on second thought. From the picture it does follow the plain of the lower arm...

I guess as with any lowered mustang everything is a bit screwed up

Last edited:

GJMCAR98

MOTOROLA MAN
Established Member
:pop:In that one picture you are showing the 6 worst parts of a stock Cobra R front suspension ( which just about covers all of it ) Those front springs aren't close to being stiff enough, That strut should be chunked in the garbage, Sway bar is to small and when you get the springs and the bar right those stock sway bar bushings and end link bushings won't last a weekend. The lower control arm bushings need to be changed and when you get your springs/ride heigth correct your going to need to off set the rack bushings with a better bushing. Of course the Ford guys:beer: knew all of this but the car HAD to meet certain standards to be sold/shipped out to the dealers.....They also knew the racers would know what to do when they got there hands on them...The only way you will ever know if the bump is correct is to check it with a bump steer gauge which can get down to the thousandths which you just can't see with the naked eye ( but I do agree that one dose look close ) Setting bump steer on a racecar is the most time consuming pain in the a$$ :read:you can do to one but taking one from bad to really good makes a big difference ( means more at some tracks than others ). I've driven some people's cars that would just about jerk the wheel out of your hands because it was off so much or worst case is someone installs a kit and for whatever reason has one side off worse than the other side.:rockon:

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
:pop:In that one picture you are showing the 6 worst parts of a stock Cobra R front suspension ( which just about covers all of it ) Those front springs aren't close to being stiff enough, That strut should be chunked in the garbage, Sway bar is to small and when you get the springs and the bar right those stock sway bar bushings and end link bushings won't last a weekend. The lower control arm bushings need to be changed and when you get your springs/ride heigth correct your going to need to off set the rack bushings with a better bushing. Of course the Ford guys:beer: knew all of this but the car HAD to meet certain standards to be sold/shipped out to the dealers.....They also knew the racers would know what to do when they got there hands on them...The only way you will ever know if the bump is correct is to check it with a bump steer gauge which can get down to the thousandths which you just can't see with the naked eye ( but I do agree that one dose look close ) Setting bump steer on a racecar is the most time consuming pain in the a$$ :read:you can do to one but taking one from bad to really good makes a big difference ( means more at some tracks than others ). I've driven some people's cars that would just about jerk the wheel out of your hands because it was off so much or worst case is someone installs a kit and for whatever reason has one side off worse than the other side.:rockon:

Offset rack bushings are a bad idea. You raise or lower the height of the rack in relation to the pivot point of the control arm, you actually increase bumpsteer. Those bushings are a MAJOR change in geometry and should never be used. I am not the only one to think/know/see this. Ask MM, Griggs, Agent 47, or any other major suspension control arm

n2fords2003

Established Member
Actually MM did send me and recommend offset bushings for the rack on my track only 95 GTS. And they had me run their bumpsteer fix.

I can see both good and bad for the offset bushings...

Funny thing about GJMCAR98's post recommend larger sway bar.. That was an old school way of thinking that I remember well. Now days I had to be strightened out by MM and they had my find a V6 factory swaybar for the front (worked with their suspension package). They said smaller the better and that springs and struts needed to work more independently instead.

Since GJMCAR98 made mention of the lower control arm bushings.. Ive wondered about a lot of the bushings on an 18 year old car. Who makes better ones? Polly?

GJMCAR98

MOTOROLA MAN
Established Member
Iron Snake
If you go back and look at that picture and what your saying is true then how are you going to get the centerline of that rack mount to line up with the centerline of that lower control arm mounting bolt without an off-set bushing? as far as bar size there is a lot of things that go into what size bar people like to run. We could argue about that for days :shrug:

r82of250

Established Member
I aligned it when I was at STEEDA,
but a competent shop with modern equipment can align it.

I've used 3 or 4 different shops in the Ft Myers/Cape Coral area with very so-so results. Was hoping you had a good recommendation. Oh well.

n2fords2003

Established Member
Birdman those are beautifully positioned... But your control arms arent angled up as much as mine. That helps a bunch. Is your car setting up a bit of using X2 steeda joints to bring the arm a bit more level?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread