95r high rpm oil leak

StillIntense

Established Member
I'm fixing to break something here. While on track in the past, I've noticed that the passenger side A arm gets oil covered while on the track. Finally figured out that while at high rpms, the passenger side fitting on the oil cooler (where the hose connects) was leaking, dripping down, and then blowing back onto the passenger side A arm, spring, tie rod, etc. Not good...
So got a NOS oil cooler, put it in, and put the hoses back on. Used two wraps of teflon tape on the threads on the male (hose) side of the fitting.
Took the car back out and ran it hard, sure enough, still have an oil leak (at the passenger side fitting only).
Two questions on how to fix this:
1. Should I remove the teflon tape from the threads and re-attach the hose?
2. Has anyone had their oil cooler hose fittings leak?

Any other advice is appreciated....

Ron 1995 R

Established Member
I'm fixing to break something here. While on track in the past, I've noticed that the passenger side A arm gets oil covered while on the track. Finally figured out that while at high rpms, the passenger side fitting on the oil cooler (where the hose connects) was leaking, dripping down, and then blowing back onto the passenger side A arm, spring, tie rod, etc. Not good...
So got a NOS oil cooler, put it in, and put the hoses back on. Used two wraps of teflon tape on the threads on the male (hose) side of the fitting.
Took the car back out and ran it hard, sure enough, still have an oil leak (at the passenger side fitting only).
Two questions on how to fix this:
1. Should I remove the teflon tape from the threads and re-attach the hose?
2. Has anyone had their oil cooler hose fittings leak?

Any other advice is appreciated....

Mine seep slightly (driver and passenger side) to capture road dust and etc and need a cleaning occasionally.

Is the leak coming from the threads, compression fitting, or where the hose is clamped into the threaded joint?

Question is, are you running a hi-pressure oil pump?

Ron.

Last edited:

StillIntense

Established Member
Ron,
Thanks for responding. As best I can tell, it appears to be coming from where the hose mates with the pipe on the cooler itself. Oil is coating the steel mounting plate directly behind where the mating occurs. In other words, it looks like the threads. Remove the teflon tape and re-attach?
Stock oil pump by the way....and the driver's side doesn't even seep and it's sealed the same way.

Ron 1995 R

Established Member
Ron,
Thanks for responding. As best I can tell, it appears to be coming from where the hose mates with the pipe on the cooler itself. Oil is coating the steel mounting plate directly behind where the mating occurs. In other words, it looks like the threads. Remove the teflon tape and re-attach?
Stock oil pump by the way....and the driver's side doesn't even seep and it's sealed the same way.

I never took mine apart...so you'll need to determine the selection of item 1 or 2

1-"IF" this is a compression 'flared' fitting; similar to a fuel line or power steering hose I wouldn't use the teflon tape (as that could cause leaks).
2-"IF it is a fitting that requires sealant (similar to a nut on a bolt) on the fitting to seal then I'd use the teflon tape. Make sure you wrap it in the direction of the threads to tighten (so while tightening it doesnt unravel the teflon tape ...and use enough of it (wrap around a few times) to get a good seal. Sometimes the bad seal is simply that...not enough or too much of teflon tape that it unwrapped or tore itself).

In either case make sure your threads are clean (and mating surfaces of the flare/compression fitting are clean and unscared)

Then do as you have done; assemble and keep a 'very close' eye on it.

I noticed this guy has a unique take on installing the lines (went to NAPA and had new ones made):
Installing an Oil Cooler

And here is another with teflon tape:
Mustangworld - Installing an Oil Cooler

Ron

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread